• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Fertilizers? Yes, No, Routine

I'd really like to hear what you experienced pepper growers use to feed your plants and your routines. Personally I have nothing against man made fertilizers and will use them willingly.

I use a top soil/composted cow manure to start with, regular Miracle Grow early in the plants life then switch over to a bloom booster type when the flowers start.

I'm growing in pots only (sorry to disappoint), so using BioBizz was really easy. I do put a nice portion of Humus in each pot first (just like when you plant a tree).

patrick said:
I don't mean to be rude but comments like that aren't helpful at all. They need to come with an explanation.

Not helpful to whom? If I point out the screamingly obvious without a list of irrefutable facts, I'm accused of being a big meaniehead. If, however, it irritates you so much to follow a line of reasoning that I find useful, ignore my posts.

I'm using Tomato-tone (4-7-10) on my seedlings. This spring, I'll cut down the wheat cover crop, add compost to the garden, spread some 10-10-10 fert on it then till everything. Until the plants start blooming, about every three weeks or so I add some liquid fert (usually something like 30-10-10) using a automatic mixer type nozzle.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I'm using Tomato-tone (4-7-10) on my seedlings. This spring, I'll cut down the wheat cover crop, add compost to the garden, spread some 10-10-10 fert on it then till everything. Until the plants start blooming, about every three weeks or so I add some liquid fert (usually something like 30-10-10) using a automatic mixer type nozzle.

How far in advance of planting do you till the cover crop in? I keep mulling planting a winter cover crop over parts of the garden, just haven't gotten that far, yet. I want to continue improving the soil so I need to fertilize less in both the vegetable and flower gardens. I obviously can't till the flower beds that have perennials, so the bulk of my compost goes there. I usually till in fresh manure around the end of February in the vegetable bed, and the extra green organic matter from a cover crop would be nice.

Pam,

It will probably be mowed (and put in a pile to compost) in the middle of April and then the ground tilled as soon as it is dry. I'll let it sit for a month or so then till it again.

I wish I had room to use a tractor and plow so I could all the wheat under and let it rot. That stuff is so high in nitrogen - it really gives the plants a nice boost without burning them.

Mike

No one is picking any fights. lets just stick to the question from the original post and go from there....:)

patrick said:
I'd really like to hear what you experienced pepper growers use to feed your plants and your routines. Personally I have nothing against man made fertilizers and will use them willingly.

I use a top soil/composted cow manure to start with, regular Miracle Grow early in the plants life then switch over to a bloom booster type when the flowers start.

Last year I planted most of my tomates and chillis and capsicums (sweet peppers) in the ground but this year they are all in pots due to my housing arrangement. I have learnt very quickly that ferts are needed as the plant doesn't get all it needs from basic potting mix :( (that's pretty obvious). I use tomato ferts and seasol on my plants and they are pretty happy.

Pam said:
Not helpful to whom? If I point out the screamingly obvious without a list of irrefutable facts, I'm accused of being a big meaniehead. If, however, it irritates you so much to follow a line of reasoning that I find useful, ignore my posts.

There not helpful to me or anybody else interested in what the experienced people use to fertilize their plants. Please tell me what the "screamingly obvious" is about my question and your reply?

I have no problem following a line of reasoning either. Just show me how that line gets from asking about fertilizers to you asking about aphids?

If you are growing in the ground and have not had a soil analysis done, you are trying to hit a target with a BB gun while blindfolded and sitting on a moving stool.

Mike

I grow in pots too Mike. In my soil once you get past the sod it's mostly clay. Every flower and bush that I've planted around my home I have removed about a cubic yard of the clay and replaced it with top soil.

wordwiz said:
you are trying to hit a target with a BB gun while blindfolded and sitting on a moving stool.

Mike
Actually, that sounds like alot of fun! I keep see everyone diving out of the way of the shooter...hehe.

Patrick,

I feel for ya! Thankfully, except for the top layer, my garden is good dirt. I had all my peppers in pots last year and the ones that survive overwintering will go back out in pots. But to counteract the negatives (extremely quickly drying of soil) I plan on burying them almost up to their tops.

But getting off topic a bit, we use to grow some great crops in clay - tomatoes, tobacco, potatoes and cucumbers among them. One just has to take a lot more care. Don't work the soil when it is at all wet but don't let it bake before working it. I actually like the top layer of most of my garden being clay - it drains quite well yet in the heat of summer, it bakes as hard as a rock and keeps the soil under it moist.

Mike

Aphids are attracted to plants feed with a high nitrogen fertilizer. They like hanging out on the new green growth caused from to much N. If you don't have aphid problems your feeding schedule looks fine.

Back