• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

movies Favorite black and white movies

I got bored today and decided to see what movies were listed on IMDB top 100 that I hadn't seen. Casablanca was damn near the top and rightly so cause it turned out to be a great movie. I've really enjoyed a lot of the black and white movies I've watched, I think they tend to have better plots and dialogue than a lot of modern films. I think a lot of that could be attributed to the fact that they didn't have special effects to fill in gaping plot holes.

So what are some of your favorite black & white films?

DickT said:
......and the old twilight zones....

Most excellent choice there, Dick.

I have every episode on DVD(and get this, most of them on Betamax tapes from when they were on as reruns when i was like 10 or 11 years old.....anybody got an old beta player i can borrow?)

The Longest Day (1962)

The 39 Steps by Hitchcock

Some of the old English movies produced/directed by Earl St. John are entertaining in a light hearted English way.

This weekend I watched Casablanca, Sunset Blvd., two hitchcock movies: Psycho & Rear Window, & one of stanley kubricks earlier movies: The Killing

AlabamaJack said:
The Longest Day (1962)

I just watched that 2 months ago could not remember if it was B/W. How about the guy landing on the beach with the turtle neck sweater. Great movie as I love war movies.

The longest day and my all time favorite is "Its a Wonderful Life" always puts me in my "Holiday space" even if the bastards around me dont deserve it

Some fave noirs:

Double Indemnity
The Killers
Asphalt Jungle
Scarlet Street
Detour
DOA
Nightmare Alley
Laura
The Big Sleep
Crimewave
Panic in the Streets
Gun Crazy

Ok, I just watched ALL of Plan 9 From Outerspace (even though I did the layout for the new dvd's about a year and a half ago....never got to see the film)...my god, worst film ever....which made it that much better!!!!

Horribly long drawn out scenes, attrocious acting, screaming queens playing "manly" roles, confusing out of place (timeline) sceans.......it just goes on and on!!

Back