• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Cold Garage Germination/Grow (Construction Complete! Now with Pics!)

Hope everyone's holidays are going well. I am getting pretty excited to get started with my grow in another month or so. I am in the final stages of putting my setup together, temp gauges, soil, last minute construction, and I wanted to see what you guys were using for your Thermometers.

I will have about a 6" wall in between my grow room and laundry room, so i thought about going with a wireless unit so I dont have to go into the garage and open the tent (and let a bunch of cold air in) to check the temp. I have seen a few on ebay and trolled some of the "sticky vegetable" forums to get an idea. Not too much on the topic so I figured I would see what you guys recommend.

Thanks,
Matt

So I contemplated whether or not I wanted to start a new thread in the growing forum, but I settled on just updating this until I get the seeds ready to go in. SO, here we go!

I had a few spare hours on my hands today (dodging homework), and used the time to put together my tent and mount my light. I would like to start testing it so I can order anything that I need (heaters and such). The box came with some cryptic instructions, but you dont have to be a genius to put it together. It is made for "indoor vegetables" (pot), so the instructions match the clientele (probably written after trying some of those"veggies". But it is basic pipes that either fit or dont.
f939354f.jpg

441aeaac.jpg

That part took a grand total of about 3 minutes. This next part took some finesse.
706f3acb.jpg

0f183fb5.jpg

a7dd3280.jpg

The tent was quite heavy, which was good because it shows the quality of the material. I tried to put it together standing up, but I had to lay it on its side because of the weight of the mylar. After about 15 minutes of pulling, fighting, and stretching...
c62b94b3.jpg

42d05d05.jpg

edd2a562.jpg

I think it looks cool as hell with the black and yellow. I had the wife zip me up inside (I warned her with sudden death if she didnt let me out) and it is about as dark as I have seen. There are flaps on the side that let airflow in, but for total pitch black you can put a piece of tape or something down there.

If the tent was tough, mounting that freaking light was ridiculous! The yo-yo adjustable mounting system came with no instructions. So I Googled it and got no help. So out came the drill and the surgery began. After about 30 or 40 minutes of messing with it, I got it mounted.
a0104412.jpg

Overall, I am really happy. It is extremely bright and you can visibly tell the difference with 50%, 75%, and 100%. I have about 68-70" sq in there and I plan on building a horseshoe type table for my plants. I would like to grow about 150 or so, and I think If I build the table in a horseshoe and about 2' deep I should have more than enough room.

Thanks for watching and I will keep this updated until I switch over to the grow thread in mid-late Jan.

Matt

nice tent. looks like it will serve the purpose perfectly. depending on the size of your light, i think you'll find it to be nice and warm in there anways... happy growin. Now all your neighbours are gonna think you are growing said "veggies" after seeing the tent in the garage :)

nice tent. looks like it will serve the purpose perfectly. depending on the size of your light, i think you'll find it to be nice and warm in there anways... happy growin. Now all your neighbours are gonna think you are growing said "veggies" after seeing the tent in the garage :)

Thanks. It is 600w and it was putting off a decent amount of heat when I tested it yesterday. I only had it on for a few minutes and it was noticeably warm about 12 inches or so and seemed to be getting warmer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it can give me some good temps through Feb. If not, I found a decent space heater for about 30 bucks on amazon that should do the trick. It is thermostat controlled, so I can set it to mid 70s ish and let it go (in theory).

My neighbors are already wondering what I am doing. I say it is classified and chuckle under my breath. Seems to work great.

Thanks for stopping by, and I will post more pics as they come.

man i need one of them...

They aren't too expensive off eBay. Paid about 150 with shipping. My light was more...

That is a real convience to put together. I can't wait to see how your plants perform!

Greg

The wife settled on letting me use that corner of the garage. I wanted to convert the guest bedroom into a grow room, but noOOOOoooOOO, she had to have room for family. Who wants family around?

Also, if anyone has any recommendation for material for the table I am all ears. I dont wanna spend a fortune, Christmas is right around the corner. But I was thinking about trying to find some sort of usable plastic composite or something that could be sturdy, handle water and fert spills, and clean easily. I also was thinking just plain ol 2x4s and plywood. What do you think?

Matt

for a table or rack go look at walmart, lowest or homus deepus etc.

you might want to insulate the garage door for better temperature holding

The wife settled on letting me use that corner of the garage. I wanted to convert the guest bedroom into a grow room, but noOOOOoooOOO, she had to have room for family. Who wants family around?

Who says family can't sleep in the garage??
;)

lol.. reminds me about my aunt sleeping in the basement (our guest bedroom is there, keeps guests from staying the night sometimes.), when she visited.

She left my lights on all night, and said she sleeps during the day usually it was fine...

cc3ec4b2.jpg

So I did my first tests today for temps. Just as the pic says, I had GREAT temps inside while the garage was pretty cold! It maintained about 81 all day and until about 8pm when I turned it off. The bad news is, once the light was off, it dropped pretty quickly to match the garage temps. This means I am definitely going to be getting a space heater for the day, and in case it drops too low when the light is on. Either way, I am super happy with the tent now that I know it can hold great heat even when it is cold in the garage.

Matt

I'm tempted to run the space heater in the basement to make my grow area 75 degrees or so, but I need a sturdy floor standing one, and I would want to wall off the area.

Might have a small build going on soon! I told the wife today there might be 2 tents in the basement in the near future, she didnt have much to say.

I think I am going to go with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-754200-Ceramic-Adjustable-Thermostat/dp/B000TKDQ5C/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1324178427&sr=1-1

Check it out, should work perfect in my tent.

I'm running one down in the basement right now.. at 2:00am its like 19 degrees outside.. and like 65 in the basement.. I'm hoping to warm up the area and hit bed and then when the lights come on again in 8 hours it might be still warmer then before..

I'm now looking at tents... LOL.. I would want to either engulf the complete corner of my basement into a room/tent or go to the task of physically building walls and stuff down there.. which I should eventually do but I'm not attempting that this year..

little bummed right now.. lost my weightloss challenge at work by .7%, 1.5 lbs so I lost my possible($350 winnings so no HPS light this week). But got called for a job that's 200% better then mine 20 minutes later... (all and all, I would much rather have the better job and more pay and less stress, then a less then 400 sum)

I know the money is instant gratification but the job will be long lasting..

and then an hour ago got a used 50watt led light I'm going to dedicate over one of my plants to see how it performs compared to my florescent lights.

The heater should work... just make sure your smoke detectors are working, and monitors temps....
They might even make one of those temp warning sensors that can notify you on cell if the temp rises to high or to low, they have them for basements for pipe freeze alarms.

Lookin great Matt. I look forward to your GL. You got the goods I can see. That tent looks great, if it doesn't work out you better get your money back lol.

Good luck man
Brandon

Edit: wow this came out a lot longer than I thought.. but it is everything, and sorry about this, I am new to the site so if you guys think this would be better in it's own thread and want to to delete it from here, just let me know and I will do it. I just figured this thread is related to my issue.. so thanks! and sorry for the long read

Hey guys, I have been reading a lot about.. well everything, and I have grow hot peppers outside in the garden the last 3 years, but this year I really wanted to start growing them inside early, and bring about 12-14 plants or so in for next winter which I will be keeping in pots the whole summer.

I don't want to jack his thread, but I figured since everyone is already here and I am having a similar dilemma then it would be good to have all the info in one spot rather than posting all over again in a new thread. So.. here is my problem and potential set up.

What I plan to have/do- I plan to bring in about 12-14 fully grown plants next winter, I have already started growing about 12 of them so far, (just seedlings with most of them with their 1st true leaves and I think the new LED light I got fried a few of them since it was too close at first and slowed down the growing for a few others for now, but that is fixed and they are on the road to a slow recovery.) In a month or so I will be starting about 20-30 more pepper plants that will be going in the garden come spring, and my mom will be growing about 20 tomato plants as well that will also be going into the garden.

What I have already- I have bought a 400w MH/HPS light/fixture kit-http://www.virtualsu...S400MS.asp?rt=2 that will be coming in the mail on Thursday. I also have a 130w LED light http://www.sunflower...7x3%27-CAP.htmlthat I wanted to use but I really will only effectively be able to use this to start them out (since it can only cover a 3'X3' section at the most.. and I would think it is closer to 2X2') in addition to a few 6.5k CFL lights that I have set up in a rack from Walmart that I have setup now. I also have other CFLs that I am not using now because like I said I fried them a little when I first got my LED light by sticking it way to close for such small plants and it seems to be overkill. but I will get a picture of the setup that I have now in a little while. I also have a 400cfm inline venting fan.http://www.amazon.co...=pd_sim_sbs_k_1
For heating I also have a 150w ceramic heating lamp that I have lying around for my Ball Python which I am not using at the moment, and since it puts off some good heat and since I will be paying for the increase in the power bill and would like to keep it semi-cheap, I think it should work maybe with the bulb pointed at one of the walls across from it in the inclosure, with the little 6" oscillating clamp fan blowing the air around at night when the lights are off.

What my ideas are about my setup now, and what I would like to possibly set up, and should it work- I want to have the setup in my basement, right now I have some shelves (just a wooden frame with plywood base for boxes and stuff) that measure somewhere around 5-6' long, by 3-4' wide, and the bottom bored is about a foot off the ground, since I plan to remove the upper shelf so I can have room to grow. My plan is to have me and my dad build an insulated box out of that, by taking inch thick ridged insulation board and using that to cover all of the sides, and most likely the ceiling and definitely the floor of that also and then I will cover the inside of that in that space blanket stuff. So with that sealed off for the most part, with the front section having a detectable piece to it or something, haven't really thought about that part yet. I just measured the basement with my dad's IR gun/camera and it measures at about 55-60 degrees. He is selling insulation and "going green" stuff for houses and businesses right now so he plans on insulating the basement better, since there are still a few concrete blocks with vents in them going to the outside in one section of the crawl spaces in there so maybe that will bring the temperature up to at least 60 consistently. I think that is it for now, I have been reading and thinking about this a lot lately so I may have forgotten something.

There was something I forgot to mention, I would like to run the lights at night when it is coldest and then have the heat lamp for during the day, I would have the 6" osculating fan on all of the time, and I would like to setup the 6" inline duct fan so that it only goes on when it gets too warm in the area.. so I would have 1 thermostat hooked up to the heat lamp (that only turns on during the day time, when the lights are off) and 1 thermostat hooked up to the inline vent fan which is hooked up to the MH lamp for that to only go on when the temp reaches a specific temp.. say.. 86- or whatever you guys think I can keep the plants at, I know I would like to keep the area around 80-85, but would 88 or something be ok for the fan to turn on, so that way the warmer area would take longer to cool off during the day? or are the few extra degrees not worth it and harmful to the plants?.. I would think 88 would be fine since it does get that hot during the summer..

I am going to check out how much it will cost to actually build and insulate this area, and if it turns out that it costs a lot, and if the price is close to $150 or even $100, I might just get http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Reflective-Interior-Hydroponics-Growing/dp/B0060ID7JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IVYJUN6JKK4KX&colid=6F005PBAEEG6 and if I do, how many plants do you guys think I could fit in there? I could probably get like a metal mesh stand for the plants if I had to fit more in there or something.. I'm open for any ideas!

My problems and questions- First of all, for the rest of my equipment and setup I would like it to be cheap as possible without loosing quality.. that is to say, I really can't be spending much more money on this, but I want to do this correctly so that I don't end up wasting time/and more money trying to grow these peppers and have them fail in the end. I have been looking around for thermostats that have 3 prongs on them, for the heat lamp I only need a 2 prong and can use the same thermostat that I have for my snake cage right nowhttp://www.amazon.co...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER but I wanted to set up the inline fan that I have so that it is not running all the time, but only when it gets too hot, and I can't find any thermostats with probes that have the 3 prongs.. So what do you guys have set up for thermostats that would work in my situation.. this part has been bugging me, since I need 2 thermostats I think, 1 set to 75 degrees with the heat lamp, which only comes on during the day (when lights will be off)via the power strip/timer, and then the inline fan that only comes on during the night when the lamp is on set to.. 85-90 degrees, whichever you guys recommend.
Edit: ( I just looked again and found that the hydro farm one made for heat pads has the 3 prongs.. and that should work if I have 1 set up to the heat lamp and 1 set up to the duct fan.. but I also am not sure if the heat lamp isn't enough.. how I can run the 1500w space heaters they have from a thermostat set to 75 degrees..)

Another question/problem I have is, is 1 400w MH/HPS light (will be using the MH light and most likely will be getting another 400w setup with a HPS light next winter so I can keep producing peppers, but for now I just want them to grow and be ready to produce peppers once it gets warmer out.. if they produce peppers before then, than great!). but is the 1 400w light enough to support... the amount of plants I have.. or I guess the area really.. I have been looking online and I remember seeing how much of an area the 400w HID light can be effective, but I can't find it. Remember that in the end I will only really have 10-14 fully grown plants that I will be bringing back over the winter, the other 40-50 or so plants I am just starting out so that I can put them out in the summer.. but I guess I do expect them to get a decent size if I start them in January.. I would like to know how much area the 1 400w HID can handle but I am more concerned about the total area I will need, and if I need to get the 2nd 400w light eventually before the summer than that is fine, and I still have the 130w LED light that is suppose to be good out to 3X3'

I almost forgot, but these are the peppers I will be growing, I am curious to know if there are any particular needs for any of the plants, or which ones grow in some setup or another, like I have heard that Tepins don't like full sunlight, or at least people tend to put them on the outside of their grow area. I have only grown the cherry bomb peppers, and Bulgarian carrots but that was out in the garden, but anyways here are the peppers I am/and will be growing Tepins, Bulgarian Carrots, Hottie Hybrids (a habanero hybrid) Red Caribbeans, Jamaican Hot Chocolates (chocolate habs right?), Pretty Purple Pepper, Big Bomb Hybrid, Congo Trinidad, Cherry Bomb Hybrid, Fatalii. I will be only keeping some of these in pots for next winter, I am definitely going to be keeping at least 1 of the following; the chocolate habs, red Caribbean, Bulgarian carrots, tepins, fatalii, and the rest I will see once I grow them and see which ones I like more.. pretty much all of them except for the cherry peppers, but the total will be about 12-14 if I can

So sorry for the very long post but I wanted to get this all out there and give the full background so I can cover everything. I was able to teach myself with the help of a mazda forums how to completely tear apart my old 2003 mazdaspeed protege, as well as put on almost any mods short of engines and stuff that requires equipment and mainly time that I don't have onto my new mazdaspeed protege (I bought the same car because I liked the old one and so I could transfer my mods over and save money haha), and I have learned that if you give more information to your situation, you tend to have less problems that come up and bite you in the end, and usually costing more money..

So thank you very much for your time, I am new to this website, but I have been floating around for the last week or so reading and collecting information, but I have decided it is time I get some advise. :D

Besides using heaters and a mini green house. I recommend hooking up a thermastat to your seedling heat mats. That is if you use heat mats to germ! I loved my thermo heat mat! Whenever the temp dropped it kicked up the heat!

hmm, the setup I have in the living room is all set for germination, I was looking at getting a heat mat, but I didn't have any problem with germination, I think it will just be keeping the whole room warm and more specifically finding thermostats, or at least 1 thermostat that accepts a 3 prong plug. I don't mind getting a little space heater, and I know some have the "adjustable thermostats" on them but from what I saw, they don't actually have a temp setting on them.. or I don't even know if they turn off at a specific temperature, I would rather keep them from staying on all day long when the lights are off and having to vent the extra heat or something like that, i just want it to turn on when the temp drops.

I have read people have this kind of setup but I haven't actually seen what their thermostats look like and how it is actually set up, and the temp. control thermostats on like.. hydrofarm, for $90 is a little much I think.. unless there is nothing cheaper, and even then I am not sure if it is what I really want for my setup with the fan and heaters being set to different temps so there is a high temp when the fan kicks in, and a low temp when the heater kicks in.. thank you for your reply.. I have been brewing over this issues like crazy for the last 2 weeks! haha

oh wow, I just looked at this again and realized it has the 3 prong haha.. and I would think it would work for my fan and heater actually, I would just have to order 2 of them.. which if I can find the max wattage (I think I just read 1000w) that it can handle then I have no problem using them... makes me feel much better so far hah, still have a lot to work out and would still like to see what other people have for setups http://www.amazon.co...24362121&sr=8-1

hmm, the setup I have in the living room is all set for germination, I was looking at getting a heat mat, but I didn't have any problem with germination, I think it will just be keeping the whole room warm and more specifically finding thermostats, or at least 1 thermostat that accepts a 3 prong plug. I don't mind getting a little space heater, and I know some have the "adjustable thermostats" on them but from what I saw, they don't actually have a temp setting on them.. or I don't even know if they turn off at a specific temperature, I would rather keep them from staying on all day long when the lights are off and having to vent the extra heat or something like that, i just want it to turn on when the temp drops.

I have read people have this kind of setup but I haven't actually seen what their thermostats look like and how it is actually set up, and the temp. control thermostats on like.. hydrofarm, for $90 is a little much I think.. unless there is nothing cheaper, and even then I am not sure if it is what I really want for my setup with the fan and heaters being set to different temps so there is a high temp when the fan kicks in, and a low temp when the heater kicks in.. thank you for your reply.. I have been brewing over this issues like crazy for the last 2 weeks! haha

oh wow, I just looked at this again and realized it has the 3 prong haha.. and I would think it would work for my fan and heater actually, I would just have to order 2 of them.. which if I can find the max wattage (I think I just read 1000w) that it can handle then I have no problem using them... makes me feel much better so far hah, still have a lot to work out and would still like to see what other people have for setups http://www.amazon.co...24362121&sr=8-1

I got my hydro farm thermostat for $35 I think it was. It's not a nice digital one but it does the job! Correction its not hydro farm thermo. Here isd the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Sprouter-Thermostat-Seedling-Heat-Mat-propagation-cloning-seed-tray-/120793070045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1fd3f9dd

Another question/problem I have is, is 1 400w MH/HPS light (will be using the MH light and most likely will be getting another 400w setup with a HPS light next winter so I can keep producing peppers, but for now I just want them to grow and be ready to produce peppers once it gets warmer out.. if they produce peppers before then, than great!). but is the 1 400w light enough to support... the amount of plants I have.. or I guess the area really.. I have been looking online and I remember seeing how much of an area the 400w HID light can be effective, but I can't find it. Remember that in the end I will only really have 10-14 fully grown plants that I will be bringing back over the winter, the other 40-50 or so plants I am just starting out so that I can put them out in the summer.. but I guess I do expect them to get a decent size if I start them in January.. I would like to know how much area the 1 400w HID can handle but I am more concerned about the total area I will need, and if I need to get the 2nd 400w light eventually before the summer than that is fine, and I still have the 130w LED light that is suppose to be good out to 3X3'

HPS bulbs suck for peppers - at least in my experience. You don't need it for the plants to keep producing, MH does the trick. I currently have about 60 pepper plants (1 year old+) under one 400w MH bulb and they're doing fine and producing peppers just fine - probably not as many of them as possible or as big as during the summer, but I'm on a budget. :D

So, that's about 2m x 2m (40 square feet).

EDIT: Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, I am drinking coffee and listening to Skrillex. Kind of a dangerous combo...

Max,

First off, :welcome: to the site. No worries about your post, I'm getting ready to switch to a grow log and it is probably better to keep this going with questions and solutions for people with our situations. The wife is off doing wife things today, so that means I have about 5 hours of CoD time, BUT after scanning the post I went 3 games averaging about 7-15 and decided to STOP getting PWND by 12 year olds on Christmas break and read and respond before getting back to the slaying...

But, lets dive in. First off, you are definitely thorough. At first glance some questions are,

1. What are you currently growing in/on? I know you said you were going to post pics, and that may give us a bit of a better idea.

2. What is the TOTAL amount of plants you are planning on starting (the 12-14 you are bringing in, 20 maters, and 20-30 others)?

3. Your grow list will help. This will help identify what is supposed to be planted when. You dont really wanna start your maters the same time as C. Chinense. There is a huge difference in maturation times. No need to name every plant, just genus.

4. What is the guestemated temps your basement will achieve when it is insulated, also when will it be done?

These will help in the future but I guess right now I would say to just take a step back and look at what you have, and decide to use only what you NEED. LEDs, CFLs, HIDs, etc are all nice to have, but can destroy a grow if not used together properly. Your 400w MH light is great, and I think it will cover like a 3x3 or 4x4 area ideally, however, if you are not going to be using all of the room either scale the box down or concentrate all of your plants within the ideal grow area (use mylar or space blankets to help bounce the lights and such). A 5x4 box may be too big to COMPLETELY cover the box with optimum grow space, however, just skoot your plants a few inches in toward the center instead of giving them a ton of space. I am not knowledgeable enough to recommend augmenting the CFLs or LEDs to this setup, but the one thing I know is the more plugged in, the more out of your wallet. There is a difference between a 400W MH running 18/6 and a MH/LED/HEATER/CFLS/GERM MATS/FANS/TOASTER OVEN running 18/6. Just something to think about.

As for expansion. First off, before you buy from Amazon again go to ebay. Much better prices. I got everything off there for at least 10-20% less than Amazon. My 600w light was 200 and it is dimmable, my tent was only 150. AND I got everything shipped free.

Your second option (The grow tent) is HUGE and will take a lot more than what you have to get it going and keep it going year around. If you are planning on only keeping 12-14 plants, you do not need a 6x6 tent. I dont know what you do for money, but I would say it is going to get extremely expensive very quick.

I didnt look, but is your current HID MH/HPS or just MH? If it is not dual, I would send it back and go to ebay and buy one that is for cheaper and maybe even get a 600w. I say this because if you are looking to grow HPS is better for production (look at the numbers and bands) and it would be good to be able to switch out the bulb when the time comes to start fruiting. Also, 600w would cover your area and some.

As for the heat, I still recommend a thermo controlled space heater. I was at SEARS yesterday and they had a dozen options all for under 50 bucks. I am not 100% on if they only turn on when they hit the tgt temp or what, but if you set it for a certain temp, then you should be good.

To wrap things up I would just say, keep it as simple as possible. No need for secondary trip thermos, on/off space valves, and stuff, when your light comes in, put it up, run it for a while, mark the temps and augment with either heat or airflow. You should be off to the races in no time.

One more thing, people do this in their bedroom with shop lights and grandma's quilt, plants want to grow and all they need is a bit of heat water and light.

Im off, I think instead of getting killed by children waiting for Santa im gonna head to the range and shoot some santa targets!

Post some pics and ill be back a bit later.

Matt

Back