Coffee Roasters

Look good. Might be getting a popper donated to me, will see :) also need to roast again, just have enough for one Bodom on Sunday, gave away what I had to lady preground, the beans I gave her before she said she didn't like, she said it was bitter, didnt understand that so made some for her and she liked it, turns out she uses the spinner grinder, makes things bitter LOl.

I stopped by a thrift store (couldn't resist) after buying another Avocado tree this morning and found a old Presto lite popper 1440 watt that was made in the USA- score ! And another Rival pp25 1200 watt with great coffee roasting reviews . This OCD is getting the best of me and now I'm roasting like crazy comparing all of them. I'm going to have to start selling roasted coffee rofl............

I need serious help haha.

This guy gives some reviews and has the Rival pp25 on his site.

http://ineedcoffee.com/popper-crop-currently-available-coffee-roasting-popcorn-poppers/

the current line up I'm testing :)

Attachments

• poppers.jpg
    poppers.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 97
dragonsfire said:
Did a regular and decaf this morning, look the same colours, last of my Decaf, wish I had of bought more. The site I bought my stuff from is out of stock of a bunch of stuff.

_2035398_GuatemalaDecafFullComparison_zpszv3kgaxm.jpg
those roasts look good, nice job. On another note I stopped by my favorite thrift store on the way home and found another 1200 watt popper brand name Windmere and looks like the poppery 2 in the pic. Yes you guessed it I could't resist and pulled the trigger for $3.79. I might have to get an eBay account to sell soon lol.

So I did two 4oz batches and found that the second one went dark, was surprised, guess the popper was already hot so it got hotter. SO the beans are a deep chocolate colour and very shiny, looks wet. First batch the same colour as regular, so will have to be careful if I do more then one batch at a time.

_2175420_DarkRoast-1000_zpsyuofu5g2.jpg

dragonsfire said:
 So I did two 4oz batches and found that the second one went dark, was surprised, guess the popper was already hot so it got hotter. SO the beans are a deep chocolate colour and very shiny, looks wet. First batch the same colour as regular, so will have to be careful if I do more then one batch at a time.

_2175420_DarkRoast-1000_zpsyuofu5g2.jpg
How long is your roast taking and what popper are you using and how many watts is it. Are you hearing the 2nd crack ?

Here is my Kona Blend from yesterday after a 9 minute roast between 2 poppers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 99
Cusinart 1500 watts 7min. Not hearing second crack and the second one I didnt pay attention, was shaking the first batch, thought it would not change. Will find out in a couple days how this second darker one will taste. Im guessing with it being so shinny and stickyish that it went to second crack ??

dragonsfire said:
Cusinart 1500 watts 7min. Not hearing second crack and the second one I didnt pay attention, was shaking the first batch, thought it would not change. Will find out in a couple days how this second darker one will taste. Im guessing with it being so shinny and stickyish that it went to second crack ??
yes looks and sounds like 2nd

Took a nibble on the dark bean and was surprised it was smoother then the "City Roast", looking forward to trying it out. What I also noticed when I poured out the beans from the "Roaster" their was allot more volume, so they had expanded near double. The bag was very oily when I looked this morning.

_2185423_DarCityRoast-1000_zpsbnnuwga6.jpg

_2185425_DarkRoast-1000_zpszm7b4ptk.jpg

Tried it this afternoon.
Drinking it as is, french press (5-7min), nice body, light charcoal taste, light sweetness, taste was better as it cooled, no bitterness. Was boarder line as to my taste but as it cooled I liked it. Was great to the Ginger Coffee cake I made so for me as a complement to sweets would be nice, by itself not so much unless maybe as a cold extract process. I made some cold extract yesterday with my City Roast, will find out in a couple days how that is then try the dark roast as a Cold extraction.
Been drinking without cream since doing by own roasts, already smooth so no need for cream.

P2190118_DarkRoast-700_zpshomhbw8x.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Tried it this afternoon.
Drinking it as is, french press (5-7min), nice body, light charcoal taste, light sweetness, taste was better as it cooled, no bitterness. Was boarder line as to my taste but as it cooled I liked it. Was great to the Ginger Coffee cake I made so for me as a complement to sweets would be nice, by itself not so much unless maybe as a cold extract process. I made some cold extract yesterday with my City Roast, will find out in a couple days how that is then try the dark roast as a Cold extraction.
Been drinking without cream since doing by own roasts, already smooth so no need for cream.

P2190118_DarkRoast-700_zpshomhbw8x.jpg
You've become a real coffee connoisseur now lol 

t0mato said:
You guys inspire me to do all kinds of things.  I think I might get a popcorn popper today. 
I would also recommend looking into getting an aeropress or a french press as the best methods for coffee brewing. it makes a world of difference. At work I can use the exact same fresh ground roasted coffee in a mr coffee drip machine and it tastes nothing like it does using the aero or french press. 

I have a decent French press that I brew the majority of my coffee with.  I also have a moka machine that I bought when I was in Italy back n October.

You guys only roast for about 5-7 minutes depending on how dark you want it?  Do you shake the machine to stir u the beans or do you just let the air do the work since the beans aren't that big?

Back