• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Christmas Dinner, whats in your plans?

Here we go again, FO'SHO!

we have a 4 bone for 2 people, about 8 pounds...paid $$$$ for it, hope it is worth it...

Good note is that at Thanksgiving we roasted some brussel sprouts and Honey asked to do that again.

Oven roasted taters.....that's about it.

See y'all in about 10 hours.
Cheers all!

Pulled it out at 117F and its already upto over 120F. Last year was just barely not quite rare enough for my tastes when pulled at 120F. Roughly 20min per pound at 325F. Sitting under foil and a large towel atm while the garlic bread is finishing up. Maple walnut danish/strudel for dessert.

Im so full it hurts
3OOemEe.jpg

z4MFSqW.jpg

K51IUrJ.jpg

We usually do Prime Rib for Christmas but we just had one. Hank's PR is still on sale for $6.98/lb so we contemplated it and decided that since we just had one, and all those Cheesesteaks we got from JayT, and since we didn't do Molé on the Solstice, that's what we'll do. I haven't made Molé in way over a year and since it's traditionally a special occasion meal... BOOM!

Tomorrow will be finger food, pajamas and movies. Spinach Dip, Jalapeño+ Artichoke dip, Queso dip, Li'smokies with a twist, Taquitos, Cookies, Nuts and fruit.

Did I mention pajamas? :D

I noticed that last year, Masher cooked the prime rib for 4 hours low 325f, then jacked it up for the crust at the end. That is reverse of the usual temp cooking of hot first then low.

Yay?Nay? Why one or the other?

Sous vide then hit it with your Searzall.

Ya know...I thought I was being modern by cooking the turkey in the plastic bag.

Have not got to the soovee acceptance yet....

Thanks for letting us know the definition or reverse I always wondered what the meant!

salsalady said:
Sheesh, how complicated can it be? High heat first or high heat last when cooking a 4 bone rib roast? And why one or the other?

I'm going for an epic derail here that might just because win for our Christmas dinner tomorrow,! :Dance:
Sheesh, how complicated can it be? High heat first or high heat last when cooking a 4 bone rib roast? And why one or the other?

I'm going for an epic derail here that might just be the win for our Christmas dinner tomorrow,! :Dance:

Traditionally, when you put a roast in the oven say at 425° for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 325° A. The meat doesn't "sear" in that time and B. The oven takes an hour to actually get down to 325°.

Reverse searing is to put the roast in at say 225° and keep it there giving the center of the meat time to come up to the cooked temerature you want. Blasting it at the end say 450° puts a nice sear or crust on the outside where the surface of the meat has had time to dry a bit.

4797C99E-333D-4959-8DB5-E702941AFAB0.jpeg

Explained in detail here: https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/cooking-temps-when-cook-hot-fast-when-cook-low-slow

Back