• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Hometown Hot Dogs Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice I want those curds for poutin. Think you need proof of life, and is that actually a hot dog?

EDIT: Never mind on the proof I see it now.

It is an authentic hot-dog recipe with added cheese curd and some maple syrup + whisky
It was going to be a poutine dog, but fries and gravy seemed a little much for this mean dog :)

It is an authentic hot-dog recipe with added cheese curd and some maple syrup + whisky
It was going to be a poutine dog, but fries and gravy seemed a little much for this mean dog :)

Damn nice. I always prefer doing things from scratch, makes a better meal.

TB, you are welcome at the Circle-H Saloon anytime.

Compadre..we are the same. Only diff is your camera is better than mine. I never met a hard workin' swabby I didn't like...and one from Kentucky? That is just soooo kinky I just hafta' love it. If it ever happens... the honor will be all mine sir.

I'm a jackass.

Actually, no I'm not. Sum is. He is using my computer, which is permanently logged on as ME (not him). Disregard the picture that WAS here.

Maybe because it's a mac.

Cleveland Burning River Dog

Cleveland sits on the "North Coast" of the nation, at the juncture of Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga river. 1969 was the year of the infamous burning of the Cuyahoga, which became a Cleveland cliche and the name of a beer of the local Great Lakes Brewery. Cleveland is home to a large, predominantly Eastern European population, and has various areas of ethnic concentration. If you leave my house on the East side of Cleveland and head downtown, one of the areas you will pass through is Murray Hill - home of Little Italy. My hot dog represents these two aspects of Cleveland's rich history, and gives a nod to our own CLEVELAND ROCKS Drew Carey.

The bun - Italian roll, of course.
The toppings:
- Onion caramelized in pepper-infused olive oil
- Red bell and green serrano peppers sauteed in peppered oil with garlic
- Kalamata and Spanish olives, along with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and pepperoncini sauteed in olive oil
- Tomatoe paste thinned with a touch of spaghetti sauce
- Asiago cheese, and a sprinkling of chives, capers and oregano
- Ball Park frank
- Bacardi 151 Rum

Was that everything??? I think so....

Let's start with just a couple of prep pics...
t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Kind of hard to tell, but the dogs on the right had channels cut into them before cooking, while the dogs on the left were left whole to have channels cut into them after cooking. I wasn't sure how these would cook up, but needed a way to contain the flammage so the house didn't burn down. Also, I wasn't 100% sure if the flammage would even work. At any rate, the rum was poured into the channel after everything was assembled, and then was lit.

Skip to presentation pic - things got rather messy with the assemblage... enough said.

Cleveland Burning River Dog

The beginning of the burning:
t5.jpg

More gratuitous burning pics:
t6.jpg

t7.jpg

t8.jpg

And a couple close-ups:
t9.jpg

t10.jpg

Did I eat this with my hands? YES! Did I have to wash both my face and hands afterwards? You Betcha! I salute you, Cleveland!

PS - TB, TB, oh ye of little faith....

I see while I was playin' in the kitchen, some more SERIOUS GRUB got posted! After I unwind with a glass of my fav poison, I'll come peruse more slowly.

SumBits! FD4! WHERE ARE YOOOOOOS?????

South Beach Skinless

SoBe. The Glitz. The Glamor (Glamour for the Aussies). LeBron James, Paris Hilton, Shakira. They've all had this dog.
You have to know someone who knows someone who knows someone to get into the clubs.
And we do.
Just by uttering the word "SoFlo", lines are shortened, doors open, large bouncers call us "sir", and short skirts practically melt off.
I give you the South Beach Skinless. It's a relative bargain at only $85 per serving. Bottle service extra. Share it with a friend.
We have a Bruleed All Beef Frank, roasted by torch. Served with edible flowers that the locals call "Tears of the Angels" (Tierras de los angeles).
The jalapeno provides a vinegary bite to compliment the mustard and habanero gelleee.
This dish is the new hotness.
The post comes in late because dishes this awesome only come out at night.
I'm a star.

IMG_3390.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back