• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Duo December Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very interesting entries so far, but Geeme, oh Geeme, you know the way to my heart! Man, that looks good. LB, next year I want to buy some of those Hatch chiles from you.

Great entries thus far. As of now I gotta give my nod to Geeme. Bacon and steak is pure win. But throwing bacon on a pear? That's pure genius! :dance:

But if there is one knock against that dish, it has to be that the steak isn't mooing. :lol:

Thanks guys, and agreed, c26 - I prefer my steak mooing, too. However, I've never cooked steak like that before, and didn't know what a time difference putting it into the hot cast iron would make. For a steak that size, I was expecting 7 minutes on one side, then a bit longer on the other, but when I opened the oven door (no window) after 7 minutes, it clearly needed no more time in the oven. Live and learn! This was entirely shooting from the hip - I didn't think about broiling it in the cast iron until the last minute. Cooking steak like that is something I'll definitely do again, even if I don't stuff it - yummmmm!

Nearing time to start cooking. One element of my dish is already started. And G, and THP, no I didn't start it until this morning. This is going to be good. :beer:

100_9854.jpg

I am also going to attempt something I have never done before here. A spicy dessert. Gotta pull out all the stops to compete with a bacon wrapped pear!

Drink lots of tequila before attempting. Then drink lots of tequila while consuming. Oh and make sure you have some of AJ's puree to add the kick.

Between LB's post and JayT's, I'm wondering something. I always come up with new stuff for the TD's - I've never made any of my entries before. So have you (anyone) ever made stuff for the TD's that you've made before, or do you always try new stuff, too?

I have made one of my three elements before. The other two are completely new for me. (well, sort of)

Yes, but what about for past TD's, too?

I'm not including an element like bread in this, btw, since plenty of people make their own bread from time to time. (Although my first TD was the first time I ever made a yeast bread, although I've made sweet breads, such as my chocolate pear bread.)

One of my two I've never done before. I'm too hungover for Tequilla, but I'm a pro, maybe I can shake it and buck up.

I generally try to do something outside the box, or make each throwdown unique. But sure, some throwdown's I have made before. I mean pizza, comfort food, pasta, bbq, how could I not have?

Well, even for those, did you do something different? Like for the pizza, sure you've made pizza, but did you use those same toppings, or make it unique?

I made a Caribbean Jerk Shrimp pizza if I recall. Yeah, I don't think I had ever made that before.

Hola sports fans! Let us begin our tribute to Texas fish taco mayhem....

Teaser pic with teh 65 centavos.

IMG_3266.jpg

Here's the earliest known version of the mammogram machine which is still in use today. The tortilla press....

IMG_3268.jpg

Powder coated cast iron does a smashing job.

IMG_3269.jpg

Gotta' use the comal...

IMG_3271.jpg

One of my favorite fish...steelhead...aka sea run rainbow trout.

IMG_3272.jpg

Skinned it out and split up for the 2 way accione'.

IMG_3273.jpg

Vietnamese black bean and garlic saute'...

IMG_3275.jpg

A little deep fried yumness from black betty...

IMG_3277.jpg

Hosky's were kickin' in hard at this point but somehow POOF!!! this plate appeared....

IMG_3278.jpg

Final pics and gossip column to come...

That is a complete plate of awesomness. I do not know that I could have made tacos out of that Vietnamese black bean and garlic Steelie though. I think I would have shoved my face in there and been nom nom noming that right out of the pan! Well, done compadre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back