• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting AJs Fourth Harvest 07-05-09 (Meager as it may be)

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I harvested a few pods this morning...mostly Fataliis, Cayennes, Anaheim, and Jalapenos...just a few Naga Morich...I won't post another harvest pic for a couple of weeks...just depends on how fast the pods ripen...

log....

Harvest4Log07-05-09.jpg

picture of pods...I am glad I am finally getting some anaheims and numex sandias...I am running low on chili powder...

070509c002.jpg

these will be added to last weeks and I will be making salsa and some sauce out of them...I will have almost 10 pounds of peppers to play with...

The Anaheim and NM Sandia look like meaty peppers and will make great chili powder AJ. Picked all my ripe pods because of the heat wave here also. Just trying to get as many pods as I can till it's everybody else's turn and it's too hot for you and me. Keep the pods coming.:)

Looking good AJ.

PRF you go through the too hot to pod period that AJ experiences?

To both of you the "second" season is more productive? Thanks guys.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
The Anaheim and NM Sandia look like meaty peppers and will make great chili powder AJ. Picked all my ripe pods because of the heat wave here also. Just trying to get as many pods as I can till it's everybody else's turn and it's too hot for you and me. Keep the pods coming.:)

they are pretty meaty and make a pretty color powder...we are having a cold front today so far...it is 86 right now...has been overcast all day...maybe I will get a few more to set pods...

funny thing about the powder...the anaheims and numex sandias I have will give me a whopping ounce of chili powder...I figure a 95% weight loss...

patrick said:
Looking good AJ.

PRF you go through the too hot to pod period that AJ experiences?

To both of you the "second" season is more productive? Thanks guys.

I only have one experience with a second year plant...last years lone orange habanero and it produced many many pods...

next year will be different...I am going to try and overgrow/overwinter 10 of my best plants...gotta build a grow room in the garage...

joeknowsjolokia said:
AJ, what is your total weight so far?

6.19 Kg / 15.53 lbs

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice harvest AJ, not meager at all.

All of these from this and last harvest are for your personal use?

yes, so far...personal use for cooking and the such...will start the concentrate factory up this coming week...I have enough for a few jars of Fatalii and Naga/Bhut already

AlabamaJack said:
6.19 Kg / 15.53 lbs

yes, so far...personal use for cooking and the such...will start the concentrate factory up this coming week...I have enough for a few jars of Fatalii and Naga/Bhut already

That's quite a pile o' peppers for personal pod poppin.

You already have a name for this fatal, kick you in your naga bhut hot sauce?

Sorry for not being clear on my questions AJ, what I was wondering is if you get more production from your plants after the July/August heat wave? Kind of a second season for your entire garden. Thanks.

thanks all...it is going to be a good year...

patrick said:
Sorry for not being clear on my questions AJ, what I was wondering is if you get more production from your plants after the July/August heat wave? Kind of a second season for your entire garden. Thanks.

sorry for misunderstanding your question Patrick...yes, it is like a second season...early season if slow for superhots, then the July/August heat hits and most of the chinense really slow down...cayennes, serranos, and jalapenos seem to keep on chugging on...I should be able to pick somewhere about 10-15 pounds a month in July/August and 20 pounds in September but October is where the horn of plenty is...I picked over 80 pounds of peppers in October last year, then november I got another 30 and stripped my plants the first of December for another 20 pounds...

what I try and do is pour the nutrients to my plants during July and August...I actually will switch to a 10-10-10 or 13-13-13 for those two months...I normally use 7-14-7 for pod production...I want the plants to continue to grow whether they put pods on or not...at the end of season, you should not be able to see the retaining wall where my trinidad varieties are because all of my plants should be close to if not over 5' tall...

No apology necessary AJ.

Thanks for the information. The thought of picking 80lbs of peppers in October just blows me away. We're breaking out the winter gear and watching the pepper plants shrivel up and die. I have GOT to move farther south.

I've been feeding with a 10-10-10 fertilizer and am going to switch over to something a bit higher in potassium for the ones that are beginning to flower good.

Very nice looking harvest! Those chocolate fataliis looking very interesting. Are they the same as the standard fatalii except the color? Would be nice to trade some seeds with you later on if youd like. :)

AlabamaJack said:
funny thing about the powder...the anaheims and numex sandias I have will give me a whopping ounce of chili powder...I figure a 95% weight loss...

AJ - When making powder from Anaheim-types, do you first take the skins off of the peppers?

Nice harvest, BTW.

patrick said:
The thought of picking 80lbs of peppers in October just blows me away.

80lbs of Peppers?!

Holy Hannah! :shocked: You're not the only one blown away, Patrick.

AJ, that is some serious pepper pickin' ;)

May they produce that much and more!:)

thanks gents....

lavish said:
Very nice looking harvest! Those chocolate fataliis looking very interesting. Are they the same as the standard fatalii except the color? Would be nice to trade some seeds with you later on if youd like. :)

Let me see what the rest of the season turns out like...I have not isolated any of them yet...

Bob_B said:
AJ - When making powder from Anaheim-types, do you first take the skins off of the peppers?

Nice harvest, BTW.

no sir...I dehydrate whole, then pull the stems and crush everything including seeds...I have been told for a truer pepper color to remove the seeds before grinding...

Back