• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting AJs 14th Harvest 09-07-08

patrick said:
A 7 - 8 month growing season. I can only imagine what my plants would do. That's almost double what we have here in Nebraska.

I can only dream of that kind of growing season also...:(

Mid May until Sept./Oct. is the best I can hope for without taking too many risks. That may change soon, in 10 yrs I might be growing all year round.

Chiliac said:
Mid May until Sept./Oct. is the best I can hope for without taking too many risks. That may change soon, in 10 yrs I might be growing all year round.

Moving to Trinidad are we heh?

lostmind said:
Is the franks hot sweet that tasty? I googled quickly but can't find much info...

They are the closest thing to a tomato I have seen from a pepper. Thick sweet sweet flesh, a little heat, I like them in salads.

I still have some seed from last year.

Mmmmmmm Trinidad! I can't imagine a 3 year old pepper never overwintered, just growing on through!

all you got to do Cheezy is look at Trinis pics she has posted...I actually have considered moving there after the wife retires...got to do a lot of research before I leave Texas...heck...south Texas wouldn't be bad...be about like Miami...

I spent 3 years in Central Texas...best 3 years of my life....drop a seed in the ground and step back...awesome people and awesome place to live and raise a family and a garden....that's where I will live out my golden years, already lookin on the web for some property. God Blessed Texas!!!!!!!!

Chiliac said:
By dehydrating it first and then grinding them with whatever you have. I am using my blender.

What's the easiest way to dehydrate peppers? Do you have to buy a food dehydrater or can you do it another way? Can you dehydrate anything or only certain types? Sorry for all the questions....

I have bought a dehydrator, but before I had it, I simply strung them up. If you got any thick walled varieties, you're better off, drying them in your oven though. Don't be put off it too easily though, people say you shouldn't dry habs by stringing them up, but it workked fine for me.

peter pepper said:
What's the easiest way to dehydrate peppers? Do you have to buy a food dehydrater or can you do it another way? Can you dehydrate anything or only certain types? Sorry for all the questions....

I've been dehydrating peppers for years. When I first started I simply left them in a bowl above the fridge and turned them every few days. It worked, alright, but took forever. For a few years I used the stove. The fastest method by far. You set your stove at it's lowest possible setting (for me it's 180 degrees) and use the convection setting. Cut the peppers in half and spread out on a couple of cookie sheets. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn and remove the pods as they harden. (If you take them off before they are totally hard, they will harden afterwards, easily.) This method takes 2 or 3 hours. For the last couple of years I've been using a dehydrator. It takes about 16 hours but you can do a whole S*itload at a time. They dry out perfectly. Afterwards, I use a magic bullet to grind them into a fine powder. Sometimes I use a coffee bean grinder to get a coarser grain. My favorite combo is Jalapeno (for bulk), Serrano and Habanero. I also add a dark red pepper for colour. Something like Cayenne or there is a great tasting round pepper my wife occasionally surprises me with, from an Indian Food Store she goes into from time to time. Which ever method you choose, the result is great! It's always superior to the generic chili powder you can get at the store. And you can have the heat level you want/need.

Man -- Is there anything better than this? This is the life! :party:

AlabamaJack said:
Left to Right:
Top Row: NuMex Pinata, Jalapeno Gigante, Israeli Red, Serrano, Poblano, Big Jim
Second Row: Ring Of Fire Cayenne, Mesilla Cayenne, Super Cayenne II Hybrid, Long Red Slim Pepper, Long Red Slim Cayenne, Big Chile
Third Row: Pasillo Bajio, Anaheim, Jamaican Hot Yellow, Jamaican Hot Red, Hungarian Wax
Fourth Row: Franks Hot Sweet, Pepperoncini, Tobago Seasoning (yellow), Tobago Seasoning (Red), Trinidad Perfume

090708c002.jpg

It seems my nutrient regimen is lacking in some sort or the other...my fruit has been small all year...maybe need more phosphorus?

I can't get over how the weather cooling off has had so much of a positive effect on my plants...all of them are loaded with baby fruit...I have 9 7 Pot plants and about 13 Trinidad Scorpions that are setting fruit hourly... :lol:

The Dorset Nagas (Potawie) and Bhut Jolokias (NMSU) are both flowering and setting a few fruit also...Chocolate habs loaded with pods...what I bought off Ebay as a Dorset Naga is absolutely loaded too...whats funny is I have 7 Datil plants and only now am I seeing a very few fruit set....

my Naga Morich may not set fruit again....pout...

time to get the dehydrator running...

What an amazing assortment AJ!! Your peppers are so colourful! Fantastic picture. I'm green with envy.

Back