• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

heat Flavor & Heat Considerations: Making hot sauce have noticeable flavor with incredibly hot peppers

About to make some fermented suss here.

The thing is, these peppers are incredibly hot.
They are definitely either moruga, trinidad scorpion, 7 pod brain strain, but got the seeds mixed up.

Can I even make this sauce carry noticeable flavor when used, or is it futile?
I imagine myself and others will only be able to handle tiny amounts on their food.

Thoughts?

Thanks.  Will update when the airlocks come next week and thangs get real.

Will include pictures, so when I die from capcasin poisoning shortly thereafter,
theyll be able to confirm dat vintage 2000 years later buried according to my directions.

total noobsauce said:
Daddy, why are you always in the carport...---IM MAKING HOT SAUCE SON NOW GO AWAY!
FIFY!
;)

(ain't no way hot sauce can be made in the basement without fumigating the whole house.... :lol:   )

JMN~  if you were referring to me?

....ain't no fighting, Boss and I are goodindahood~,

We occasionally have a difference of opinion....... but it's still all good~ 

double your vinegar and you can always add bell peppers (same color as your chilis is best) but really if you dont like it insanely hot grow weaker chilis.  Although, I make a sauce out of redbells and throw in one or two morugas, it's my wifes favorite.

salsalady said:
FIFY!
;)

JMN~  if you were referring to me?

....ain't no fighting, Boss and I are goodindahood~,

We occasionally have a difference of opinion....... but it's still all good~ 

anim_beer.gif

salsalady said:

For totalnoob~, it comes down to how hot do you want the sauce?  If you want it nuclear, use all the chiles for 2 cups of sauce.  If you want others to eat it, use the other ratios suggested for the sauce and maybe make some AJ's puree which can be used as a chile base for lots of other things or dry 'em.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32602-making-some-puree-todaywill-post-pics-of-the-processits-easy/

Have Fun!  Post pics~~~~ (we luuuv pics!!!)
:D

SL
SL hit it on the head. Turn your super hots into puree using AJ's magic formula. That way you can control the amount of heat you want in your sauce.

The first sauce - only put 2 peppers in a 1L ball jar, and it is pretty hot, but not uselessly hot.
Any comments or critique welcome -

1 yellow onion (118g)
1 red pep (moruga?) (6g)
1 yellow pep (brain strain?) (11g)
6 garlic cloves (29g)
1 mango (415g)
clump fresh cilantro (18g)
some purple carrot (59g)
1.5 kiwi (125g)
a farmer's market tomato (92g)
1tbs dry sage (1g)
1tbs dry thyme (1g)
875g total weight

Added 18g sea salt (~2%)
1tsp kimchi juice

Tasted good, now we ferment
Adding pineapple would have been cool.  Next time.

Back