• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

heat Flavor & Heat Considerations: Making hot sauce have noticeable flavor with incredibly hot peppers

About to make some fermented suss here.

The thing is, these peppers are incredibly hot.
They are definitely either moruga, trinidad scorpion, 7 pod brain strain, but got the seeds mixed up.

Can I even make this sauce carry noticeable flavor when used, or is it futile?
I imagine myself and others will only be able to handle tiny amounts on their food.

Thoughts?

+1 to OP's question. I'm helping a friend make sauce tomorrow with Choc Scorpion and Carolina Reaper. Not sure what to do besides burry them with fillers?

I'm thinking a couple mangos, bell peppers, roasted onion/garlic and some tyme. Thoughts?

Also OP, remove seeds and membrane to reduce heat but not flavor. Sorry that's all I got, I'm a noob too :)

Just for reference, I recently made 2 gallons of fruit-based sauce and used 6 large fataliis in the whole batch.  It made a medium heat sauce, maybe 4/10. 

When using the superhots,  a little goes a verrrrry long ways.  Use other non-hot chiles and a lot of other ingredients to stretch the sauce if you want something that can actually be eaten by more than that .5% of the population.

I agree to a point but I have a reaper sauce, reapers #1 ingredient, and it's not super hot. You can still use a lot and tone it down.

I have two gallon ziplock bags of these things and want to use them all.
I guess cutting the sauce with non-hots would help, but it'd probably turn two gallons into 50 to make a difference.

Maybe it's a lost cause...
Maybe flavor extracts would help, but this noobsauce ain't spending money on dat.

These things are so hot they're almost a novelty.
One piece the size of a rice grain sets your mouth on fire for 10min!

Seeding will help some.  Roasting will bring out some of their sweetness too.  After that you've got to cut them with other peppers/ingredients for it to be palatable imo.  I've paired them with grilled peaches and roasted carrot/garlic and liked the results.  SL is right about quantity though, a few will light up a gallon of sauce.  Remember you can always freeze the supers and use them in subsequent batches.  

Nice.

They're frozen already, so will roasting turn them into a puddle of mush?
Don't mind skipping that if not worth the hassle.
Doubting the heat will be significantly reduced by doing that, but like the idea of sweetness and roasty flavors.

Will make a batch and use it as something to add to future hot sauces for heat,
fermenting the whole time in storage until it's used up (25 years..?)

Hahaha, vintage sauce.

I don't know for sure as I've never roasted frozen peppers, but I bet it would be just fine. The only thing effected by freezing is texture and you'll be making sauce anyway. So I say go for it man!

JohnsMyName said:
I'd definitely remove membrane and seeds. Also what about making a super hot base you can add to other things?

Maybe you could also maybe soak them in hot water or flash boil them to remove capsacin oils? Never tried it, but think I heard that somewhere.

ETA: Found it, you boil the peppers in milk! Follow this link and scroll half way down. ;)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/57053-best-way-to-temper-heat-without-changing-the-flavour-too-much/

total noobsauce said:
I have two gallon ziplock bags of these things and want to use them all.
I guess cutting the sauce with non-hots would help, but it'd probably turn two gallons into 50 to make a difference.

Maybe it's a lost cause...
Maybe flavor extracts would help, but this noobsauce ain't spending money on dat.

These things are so hot they're almost a novelty.
One piece the size of a rice grain sets your mouth on fire for 10min!

"I have two gallon ziplock bags of these things and want to use them all.
I guess cutting the sauce with non-hots would help, but it'd probably turn two gallons into 50 to make a difference."

You really should stop growing them 'til you have an idea what you're going to use them for. What were you thinking? At what point did you realise you had a huge volume of stuff you didn't want or need?

I made a pepper sauce that was too hot. It may seem self evident but here's what I did. I made a fermented pepper sauce from red bell peppers from the store. Loads of it. I blended the too hot sauce  with the bellpepper sauce till the heat and flavour was right.

I ate the sauce. Job done.

Hey come on man, what OP does with his growing/pepper choices is all his choice and shouldn't get any judgement. Let's help the man not tell him he was wrong for growing some cool, hot pods. (Is that a pun or an oxymoron? :) )

ETA: You edited while I was typing, much nicer and good advice, add till it tastes good!

JohnsMyName said:
+1 to OP's question. I'm helping a friend make sauce tomorrow with Choc Scorpion and Carolina Reaper. Not sure what to do besides burry them with fillers?

I'm thinking a couple mangos, bell peppers, roasted onion/garlic and some tyme. Thoughts?

Also OP, remove seeds and membrane to reduce heat but not flavor. Sorry that's all I got, I'm a noob too :)

John, you called me on my reply to noobsauce and you're probably right. Sorry man. Didn't mean to be a dick.

John, I like your ingredients to mollify a hot pepper sauce very much. Tbh they'd be at the very top of my list and your approach is exactly right.

Look at SmokenFire and Buddy's posts on fermented sauces. Filled with gems to enlighten us all. 

ChilliJez said:
You really should stop growing them 'til you have an idea what you're going to use them for. What were you thinking?
At what point did you realise you had a huge volume of stuff you didn't want or need?

Not like it matters, but my friend gave me the bags, they were extra from him.
I do want them.  That's why I've kept em, and am finally getting around to fermenting them, even if incredibly hot, because it's fun.

The Hot Pepper said:
I agree to a point but I have a reaper sauce, reapers #1 ingredient, and it's not super hot. You can still use a lot and tone it down.

We've had this discussion before but for the new people-
Just because reapers are listed as the first ingredient doesn't mean the sauce is 51% reapers.  The ingredients are listed By Volume, so the sauce could be 10% reapers and 9% of 10 other ingredients.  Ingredient lists can be manipulated.  Manufacturers will use 3 different sweeteners just so they are listed further down the ingredients list.  If the sweeteners were all one type it would be the 2nd or 3rd ingredient. 

For totalnoob~, it comes down to how hot do you want the sauce?  If you want it nuclear, use all the chiles for 2 cups of sauce.  If you want others to eat it, use the other ratios suggested for the sauce and maybe make some AJ's puree which can be used as a chile base for lots of other things or dry 'em.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32602-making-some-puree-todaywill-post-pics-of-the-processits-easy/

Have Fun!  Post pics~~~~ (we luuuv pics!!!)
:D

SL

I was just explaining ingredients listing for the new folks, wasn't saying anything about the sauce you have specifically since I haven't tasted the sauce or seen the full ingredients list.  Guess I misunderstood the post "reapers #1 ingredient".

Just saying that a sauce can have a superhot as the first ingredient and not be "that hot".  Especially if some of the other ingredients are sugary (like carrots or fruits) which will tone down the heat of the superhots. 

Yeah by #1 ingredient I mean it is largest sole ingredient. You can still tamp it down to not being insane, there are ways. :)

51% only makes sense if there are 2 ingredients. If there are 3,4,5,6 ingredients the one that is the bulk does not have to be 51%. It would have to be the most when divisible by the number of ingredients. 

20% reapers, 15 percent this, 15 that, 10 this, blah... you get it. But you know this already so not sure why you are saying it has to be 51%.

Don't let math get in the way, I'm just saying it can be done. :)

It's OK, Boss, we're saying the same thing~  <3   I just brought this up for the new folks. 

10% reapers + 10 x 9% (90%) other ingredients =100%  

Reapers are still the #1 ingredient even though they are only 10% of the total product.  Labels can be misleading.  Some people think that the first ingredient on the list automatically makes that ingredient 51% of the sauce, and that is not the case.  First ingredient on the list only means that it is the largest single ingredient in the product.  Like Boss says, if there are 15 or 20 ingredients in a product, that single ingredient could be as low as 5% and (20 x 4.75%) for the rest of the ingredients. 

Sorry for the sideline of this thread......

Back to Nooby's Hot Sauce !  :)

Yup on same page but I don't find it misleading. Why would anyone expect the first ingredient to be 51+% unless there are 2 listed???? I may be wrong but I think most people get it is listed in order, and that the first one listed doesn't have to be 51%.

But moving on lol!!!

Back