Just another newbie. Hi! Came to share my subtitles to a documentary and maybe get some tips on my ailing habaneros and new reapers or maybe scorpions

Hi.

Just joined here to post the english subtitles I made for a french/canadian documentary called "chiliheads" in which you guys were mentioned.

Incidentally, I am also a lifelong brown thumb trying my hand at hopefully not killing the reapers or scorpions (I should have labeled my seeds immediately!) I am currently attempting to grow in a 5 gallon bucket with drilled holes. The habenaros are almost certainly already done for though - put maybe 30 seeds in a 1.5 gallon pot.

In case you want to generously suggest some help (I can use as MUCH of it as I can get) / direction the details are below. Thanks for the community!

Grow 1 - sad habaneros :(

I think they have been growing for maybe 3 months now, they are a little bit over a foot high and in a pot way too small for them. They started the right color green and seemed to be doing alright but now (for the past few weeks) only a couple are still green, most have lost almost all their leaves and the rest are yellowish.

I put all the seeds from one store bought (and enjoyed) orange habanero into a 1 - 1.5 gallon pot that was probably too small for one of them :(

I have been diligent about watering (maybe too diligent? 1 watering a day, maybe a quart worth at max - draining pots), but they are almost certainly rootbound and in desperate need of food (I assume - as I said I am a brown thumb).

Any hope / ideas to save them?

Grow 2 - the new hope - either carolina reaper (or should I say 7 pot primo?) or chocolate scorpion.

Filled a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and sides with a potting soil mixed with perlite. Planted 2 seeds directly in that soil outside.

I kept the soil moist and only misted until they were large enough to handle watering. They both popped in no time. Got the seeds from peppers I enjoyed.

Watering them much the same as the habaneros, using the gentle sprayer to add water directly to the soil/roots without spraying the leaves. They get plenty of sun, but look a good healthy dark green. I've also been rotating them to help the roots grow in all directions and grow straight (I think...)

They are almost a month along now, and both doing well so far. Very large leaves, which might mean they are reapers?

Really looking for some advice on when, what, and how to know when fertilizing is needed. Also wondering about "topping off", as there is about 3-4 inches of space in the bucket I'm using.

I have been referring a lot to ed's "grow camp" videos, but am not so sure about that advice now. Anyone have any experience with them?

Any and all advice/input greatly appreciated!

Welcome. I am also new this year but can offer a few tips, read the various growing threads, spread seeds thinly, in pots try bottom watering- I use a tiny wading poll and give about 10 mins for soil soaking. My reapers all have pretty small leaves, my dragons have huge leaves, ghosts and lavas have intermediate leaves. Feeding gently would probably help. Late in the season here so not sure how your weather will play out for ripening.

1696375856534.png

Back