• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Harry's 2011/2012 Grow Log

It's time for my first grow log.

Season Starts
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Aci Sivri
  • Ebony Fire
  • NotFluorescent NotPurple
  • Goat's Weed
  • Jalapeño Not Mild
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Cristal
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Bishop's Hat
  • Brazilian Starfish
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Beni Highlands
  • Bahamian Goat Pepper
  • Habanero, Chocolate
  • NotHabanero, Peach
  • Jamaican Hot Chocolate
  • Limon (2 sources)
  • Moruga Red
  • Scotch Bonnet TFM
  • Seven Pot (Jonah?)
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • Manzano, Yellow (cutting)
  • Rocoto, Orange
Capsicum hybrid:
  • NotBhut Jolokia, NotWhite
  • NotScarlet NotLantern
List Updates:
  • 2011-12-23 - NotLimo NotBlanco tagged as a Not since everything about it screams Annuum.
  • 2011-12-25 - Tiny plant in the garden identified as Aji Omnicolor by leaf structure and first flower open this day.
  • 2012-02-01 - 1/2 Brazilian Starfish reclassified as a Not
  • 2012-02-12 - NotBhut Jolokia, NotWhite reclassified as a Not.
  • 2012-05-09 - NotBrazilian NotStarfish disposed some time ago.
  • 2012-05-09 - NotLimo NotBlanco and 1/2 NotWhite NotBhut on the way out.
Over wintered plants
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Hungarian Hot Wax
  • Jalapeño Fire(less) Eater
  • Jamaican Yellow
  • Rainbow
  • Rainbow x Jalapeño Not Mild
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Inca Red Drop
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate
  • Caribbean Red
  • Datil
  • Fatalii
  • Habanero, Orange
  • Habanero, White
  • Maraba Yellow
  • Naga Morich
  • Seven Not, Yellow
  • Trinidad Scorpion
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • NotLocato, NotPI387838
  • Manzano, Yellow
  • Rocoto, Orange
List Updates:
  • 2012-02-01 - Disposed of Not Brazilian Starfish that in hindsight would have better not been classified as another Bishop's Hat.
  • 2012-02-01 - Disposed of Not Scarlet Lantern last week.
  • 2012-05-09 - Bishop's Hat disposed some time ago.
  • 2012-05-09 - Jalapeño Not Mild died some time ago.
Now some hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Best NotLocato, NotLocato, Brazilian Starfish
Row2: NotLimo NotBlanco, 1st NotLocato Flower, 1st NotLocato Flower
Row3: 1st 2 NotLocato Fruits Set, Habanero, 1st NotLocato Pod

I'll post the rest of the photos after somebody else replies or in a day or so if time frame for post merging expires.

The NotLocato plants pictured above are bucking the Capsicum Pubescens trend and out performing plants belonging to other species of Capsicum.

Updated on 20 Oct 2013 to prefix the remaining Nots.
Updated on 21 Jan 2013 to prefix the Nots.

The Datils are gorgeous. The chocolate Bhuts are a great example of what they should look like too. I hope you post pics of 100% ripe ones.

I ate my first Goat's Weed pod with dinner. There was a little sweetness a little Annuum flavour. The pod packed some heat and produced a decent tongue burn.

Do you reckon it would make a good general purpose Annuum if one was looking for something nice and hot? Sounds like I might have to give 'em a burl next season.

I noticed the first pod on my Chocolate Bhut plant is ripening. This will hopefully be my first brown variety to ripen. I had a Habanero Brown ripen to red last season.

Fingers-crossed for ya! ;)

How's it looking today? Can you confirm it's brown yet?

Do you reckon it would make a good general purpose Annuum if one was looking for something nice and hot? Sounds like I might have to give 'em a burl next season.

I'll comment further on the uses of the Goat's Weed once I've eaten more than one pod. My hunch is if you want to impart Annuum flavour onto a meal during cooking then you would need to add something with a stronger flavour.

Fingers-crossed for ya! ;)

How's it looking today? Can you confirm it's brown yet?
The first Chocolate Bhut is predominantly brown now.

The Datils are gorgeous. The chocolate Bhuts are a great example of what they should look like too. I hope you post pics of 100% ripe ones.

I'll post more photos of the Chocolate Bhuts as they ripen. The pods are bumpier than is visible in the photos.

I ate my first Naga Morich pod of the season yesterday with lunch. I kept it in the fridge overnight and sliced it like a tomato beginning at the tip. It wasn't as hot as I expected when I was eating it. My perception of its heat changed after it burned its way through my digestive tract.

LLhGK.jpg

First Chocolate Bhut pod ripening

obamadatazz.png

Wow, I like the way the fruit is looking on those Bahanian Goats!

This is the first time growing the "Goat's" for me this season. . I.ve have seeds from two different sources. My plants are coming along nicely, I hope to get the "bonnrt" shape like your peppers.

Greg

I collated some photos capture how some of the pods have ripened.

Eleventh set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Chocolate Bhut (Ripening), Chocolate Bhut (Ripening), Chocolate Bhut (Ripening)
Row2: NotWhite NotBhut (Ripening - Yellow), NotWhite NotBhut (Ripening - Orange), NotWhite NotBhut (Ripening - Orangish Red)
Row3: Brazilian Starfish (Ripening - Day 2), Brazilian Starfish (Ripening - Day 4), Brazilian Starfish (Ripe Red)

The Chocolate Bhut pods are ripening nicely as I had best hoped. NotWhite NotBhut plant #1 is now on the Not list as the pods were never cream/white. My first Brazilian Starfish pod is a long time coming after last season's Not.

PIC 1 said:
Wow, I like the way the fruit is looking on those Bahanian Goats!

This is the first time growing the "Goat's" for me this season. . I.ve have seeds from two different sources. My plants are coming along nicely, I hope to get the "bonnrt" shape like your peppers.

Greg
The first Bahamian Goat Pepper fruit isn't all that bonnet shaped anymore:
Th2xu.jpg

First two Bahamian Goat Pepper fruits

It's one of the better plants at flower to fruit set. Given some luck maybe I'll see a pod with a stinger as shown in one of JR's photos.

Updated 2013-01-21: Prefixed the Nots to see if they drop off web search results.
Updated 2013-08-18: Prefixed the rest of the Nots.

Twelveth set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Limón (Largest Pod), Bahamian Goat Pepper, NotHabanero Peach (1st Ripe Pod)
Row2: Aji Cristal (Ripe Pods), Manzana Yellow (2nd Ripe Pod), Habanero (Compact & Bushy)
Row3: Chocolate Bhut (Harvested Pod), Chocolate Bhut (Pod Halves), Beni Highlands (1st Day Ripening)

The latest set of photos is centred around pods. The odd shot out is the Habanero plant that the pods are not visible on due to its bushiness.

I cut up and ate the left half of the Chocolate Bhut pod shown with lunch. :flamethrower:

Updated 2013-01-21: Prefixed the Nots to see if they drop off web search results.

Great Pics Harry
the peach Hab??? are than any other pods on the plant?
thats an unusual shape for the peach Hab
the Bahamian Goat is lookin gooood

Great Pics Harry
the peach Hab??? are than any other pods on the plant?
thats an unusual shape for the peach Hab
the Bahamian Goat is lookin gooood

That peach hab almost looks identical to my cheiro do norte pods colour shape everything ... but whatever it is everything is looking good that's for certain... nice work harry.

That peach hab almost looks identical to my cheiro do norte pods colour shape everything ... but whatever it is everything is looking good that's for certain... nice work harry.

NotHabanero Peach plant #1

I took another photo that shows more of the pods. I would hardly be surprised if isn't a NotHabanero Peach given the experience I've had with other varieties from the same supplier. I hope it at least doesn't taste like a C. Annuum.

Well if they are cheiro do norte then they will have a great sweet light Chinense flavour with only a mild/moderate heat (around jalapeno)

Well if they are cheiro do norte then they will have a great sweet light Chinense flavour with only a mild/moderate heat (around jalapeno)

I harvested the first ripe pod went halves on it. It had the sweet light Chinense flavour you describe and no detectable heat.

I took a photo of the outside and the inside of the pod:

First NotHabanero Peach pod

First NotHabanero Peach pod halved

I don't see how a variety that should be very hot produces a heatless pod. I hope it at least does turn out to be Cheiro do Norte as it would then not be some mongrel cross.

Yeah harry that looks almost identical inside and out to my Cheiro Do Norte ... here is a pic of mine on the plant at the moment (my plant is much more squat and branching outwards to yours but could be mostly to do with the growing conditions mine endured early on)

IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_20120117_184115-1.jpg

Picture of mine currently on plant (left) and the first ones I picked on the right

Back