• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Harry's 2011/2012 Grow Log

It's time for my first grow log.

Season Starts
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Aci Sivri
  • Ebony Fire
  • NotFluorescent NotPurple
  • Goat's Weed
  • Jalapeño Not Mild
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Cristal
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Bishop's Hat
  • Brazilian Starfish
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Beni Highlands
  • Bahamian Goat Pepper
  • Habanero, Chocolate
  • NotHabanero, Peach
  • Jamaican Hot Chocolate
  • Limon (2 sources)
  • Moruga Red
  • Scotch Bonnet TFM
  • Seven Pot (Jonah?)
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • Manzano, Yellow (cutting)
  • Rocoto, Orange
Capsicum hybrid:
  • NotBhut Jolokia, NotWhite
  • NotScarlet NotLantern
List Updates:
  • 2011-12-23 - NotLimo NotBlanco tagged as a Not since everything about it screams Annuum.
  • 2011-12-25 - Tiny plant in the garden identified as Aji Omnicolor by leaf structure and first flower open this day.
  • 2012-02-01 - 1/2 Brazilian Starfish reclassified as a Not
  • 2012-02-12 - NotBhut Jolokia, NotWhite reclassified as a Not.
  • 2012-05-09 - NotBrazilian NotStarfish disposed some time ago.
  • 2012-05-09 - NotLimo NotBlanco and 1/2 NotWhite NotBhut on the way out.
Over wintered plants
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Hungarian Hot Wax
  • Jalapeño Fire(less) Eater
  • Jamaican Yellow
  • Rainbow
  • Rainbow x Jalapeño Not Mild
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Inca Red Drop
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate
  • Caribbean Red
  • Datil
  • Fatalii
  • Habanero, Orange
  • Habanero, White
  • Maraba Yellow
  • Naga Morich
  • Seven Not, Yellow
  • Trinidad Scorpion
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • NotLocato, NotPI387838
  • Manzano, Yellow
  • Rocoto, Orange
List Updates:
  • 2012-02-01 - Disposed of Not Brazilian Starfish that in hindsight would have better not been classified as another Bishop's Hat.
  • 2012-02-01 - Disposed of Not Scarlet Lantern last week.
  • 2012-05-09 - Bishop's Hat disposed some time ago.
  • 2012-05-09 - Jalapeño Not Mild died some time ago.
Now some hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Best NotLocato, NotLocato, Brazilian Starfish
Row2: NotLimo NotBlanco, 1st NotLocato Flower, 1st NotLocato Flower
Row3: 1st 2 NotLocato Fruits Set, Habanero, 1st NotLocato Pod

I'll post the rest of the photos after somebody else replies or in a day or so if time frame for post merging expires.

The NotLocato plants pictured above are bucking the Capsicum Pubescens trend and out performing plants belonging to other species of Capsicum.

Updated on 20 Oct 2013 to prefix the remaining Nots.
Updated on 21 Jan 2013 to prefix the Nots.

Thirteenth set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Beni Highlands (Fruitful Plant), Beni Highlands (Ripening Pods), Rocoto (Largest In Ground)
Row2: NotHabanero Peach (2nd Ripe Pod), Seven Pot [Jonah?] (1st Flower), Scotch Bonnet TFM (Largest Pod)
Row3: Ebony Fire Hybrid (1/30 Freak Plant), Ebony Fire (Ripening Pod), Locato Seedlings (1 & 2 Day Old Sprouts)

My first Beni Highlands plant has been fruitful and is loaded up with a decent crop. Alas my second plant has failed to hold a single set fruit. I'll find out how the flavour compares to the Limón after waiting a couple of weeks after the full colour change.

The largest Rocoto plant I have growing in the garden is sprawling out and loading up with pods. It took until a string of milder weather in the 20s to get fruit set on the plants in the ground. It's easier to control the conditions for plants in pots.

I'm going to allow the second NotHabanero Peach a couple of weeks to truly ripen before I harvest it. My fingers are crossed that this plant turns out to be a Cheiro do Norte variety and not another mongrel cross.

The first flower on my second Seven Pot (Jonah?) plant was partially open yesterday. My quest thus far to find out for myself if Seven Pot and Trinidad Scorpion varieties have their own flavours has been foiled. I'm due for some luck to go my way.

The Scotch Bonnet TFM plant that was attacked by a cutworm shortly after it set it's first pod has finally produced a crop of about half a dozen small pods. The largest pod shown in the photo though doesn't look all that Bonnet shaped.

I sowed every single seed from an Ebony Fire pod and had one freak of a plant grow amongst many that were true in appearance and growth. The freak plant is taller, the leaves are lighter and the pods rounded at the tip. The Ebony Fire plants shown in the second last shot are darker and have pointy fat conical black pods that will ripen to red.

I sowed the 5 seeds from an overripe spoiled Locato pod in a 10 cm pot. Two days ago I spotted the first sprout that is pictured at 8 O'clock and the second hook at 11 O'clock. Today both are upright and there is a third hook at about 12 O'clock.

Updated 2013-01-21: Prefixed the Nots to see if they drop off web search results.

Fourteenth set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Brazilian Starfish (1st Pod), Datil (Harvest), Trinidad Scorpion plant #3 (Pre-harvest)
Row2: Trinidad Scorpion plant #3 (Harvest), Trinidad Scorpion plant #3 (Two of 1st 3 Pods), Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Ripe Pods)
Row3: Habanero Chocolate (1st Day Ripening), Habanero Chocolate (Pointy Pods), NotWhite NotBhut (Deep Red Pods)

I ate my first Brazilian Starfish pod this week. It had the common C. Baccatum flavour and not much heat. I had hoped this variety would produce hotter pods the Bishop's Hat strain I have.

I harvested the a large majority of the Datil pods from my plant prior to raining on the parade of a aphid infestation. Hit the suckers with Confidor.

My third Trinidad Scorpion plant has not produced a single pod with a stinger. I may be at 3/3 for what I have coined my ScorpioNots. I harvested all of the ripe pods for a sauce I plan to make. I have yet to try them and see how hot they are. Two of first three pods developed during a stage when the plant was wilting every day and are very bumpy.

The pod shapes on my Jamaican Hot Chocolate and Habanero Chocolate plants are a bit odd. I didn't expect the Habanero Chocolate pods to be pointy.

Updated 2013-01-21: Prefixed the Nots to see if they drop off web search results.

Hi Harry,
the jamaican hot chocolate look ok
the habanero chocolates seem ok too
although they do tend to be a bit rounder
we'll see when they colour up

Hi Harry,
the jamaican hot chocolate look ok
the habanero chocolates seem ok too
although they do tend to be a bit rounder
we'll see when they colour up

Did the calyxes on the Jamaican Hot Chocolate pods have a tendency to split when you grew them?

There's a splash of brown on three of the Habanero Chocolate pods today. It's too early though to confirm that they will finish a brown colour.

Do you have any photos of plants from when you grew them? I found the Habanero Chocolate pod on your web site. The photo though only contains one pod and therefore can not show the variation in pods that may occur.

Did the calyxes on the Jamaican Hot Chocolate pods have a tendency to split when you grew them?

There's a splash of brown on three of the Habanero Chocolate pods today. It's too early though to confirm that they will finish a brown colour.

Do you have any photos of plants from when you grew them? I found the Habanero Chocolate pod on your web site. The photo though only contains one pod and therefore can not show the variation in pods that may occur.

If you wait a little while I will be posting pictures of my latest pods from my Hab Choc (from JR supplied seeds) and you will see there is a little bit of variation in shape but certainly no-more then many other varieties (ie yellow 7, Scotch Bonnet TFM, bhut Jolokia etc) but they certainly all ripen to a nice chocolate colour.

If you wait a little while I will be posting pictures of my latest pods from my Hab Choc (from JR supplied seeds) and you will see there is a little bit of variation in shape but certainly no-more then many other varieties (ie yellow 7, Scotch Bonnet TFM, bhut Jolokia etc) but they certainly all ripen to a nice chocolate colour.

I remember your photo:
Some more updated pictures from yesterday (including my favourite pod so far)

IMG_2705.JPG

Chocolate Habenero

There's not much by the way of pointy tails in there.

Cool photos harry! Are you thinking your scorpions are actualy 7 pots? Also your Datils have an awesome color!

I have thought of the possibility that my third Scorpion is more 7 Pot than Scorpion. I've yet to turn them into a sauce and sample the flavour.

I have asked previously about the difference in flavour between a Trinidad Scorpion and a 7 Pot. I remember somebody mentioning recently that they were able to taste the difference between the original strains.

Harry,

Those "Naga Morich" pods, when dehydrated and ground make a wonderful powder..........that's what I use most of mine for

Greg

Sounds like one sweet and spicy sauce!

The cloud of Capsaicin when they were simmering gives me hope that they'll be extremely spicy. I have a number of bottles of previous sauces to work through before I get to them though.

Those "Naga Morich" pods, when dehydrated and ground make a wonderful powder..........that's what I use most of mine for

I would probably need a equipment to dehydrate the pods.

I'll revisit the ID of the plants once I get one of them to produce better size pods. The vapour coming off the sauce had a different aroma to the Trinidad Scorpion batch.

those naga moriches look fantastic! Great haul. And nice pics Harry :)

Thanks, the pods were smaller than they could have been given my focus was on the other plants.

This plant did best out of the four after aerating the mix and pruning it. I uprooted it early in the season as wasn't sure it was going to do much. Breaking apart the mix until I found fresh roots, repotting it in the same mix and pruning it was enough to wake it up.

Yeah nice harvest harry. Make sure you don't let those bastard aphids get on top of you

Thanks, I was caught out by a few colonies of aphids getting to the point of producing winged aphids. I've been finding the winged aphids on other plants.

Fifteenth set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Locato Seedlings, Biquinho (1st Pod), Scotch Bonnet TFM plant #2 (1st Pod Inset)
Row2: Morouga Red (1st Pod), Bahamian Goat Pepper (1st Pod), Chocolate Bhut (1st Pod)
Row3: Chocolate Bhut (1st Pod Halved), Beni Highlands (1 of 1st 3 Pods), Beni Highlands (Pod Halves)

I have my first pods on my Biquinho plant, second Scotch Bonnet TFM plant and Morouga Red plant. The first pod on my only Bahamian Goat Pepper plant is ripening.

I ate my second ever Chocolate Bhut pod with spaghetti and meat sauce. Eating 3/4 of it with one meal had more of an impact than the first pod I split between meals.

The Beni Highlands pods I've tried are the first of my hot C. Chinense pods to have a noticeable sweetness. The flavour of the Beni Highlands here is different from the Limón.

Back