• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Duo December Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scoville: I'm going to a basketball game tomorrow and have some stuff to do on Sunday. Plus I'm a night person. Got anything in mind for this throwdown? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm not a big fan of eggs, but that dish you whipped up last time was impressive!

Buffalo Sauce with a half of one of those monster habs steeping in it and a Thai sauce with a half of a yellow bhut jolokia warming it up.

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

I'm new what is pol

POL = Proof of Life

It's a monetary amount called for at the onset of each TD, to ensure, as best as possible, that the dishes presented are created at the time of the contest. In other words, I post my 65 cents in a pic or two to prove that this isn't some monstrous meal I whipped up a month or three ago.

Yah, the POL is s'posed to keep us legit! :)

MJ - that sauce has my mouth watering! Oh what your kitchen must smell like right now! Why don't they make candles that smell like THAT?????? Cha for night owls! Keep cookin'!!!....

Scovie's banned from the kitchen tomorrow from 9:00am till...whenever I'm finished. But pretty sure he'll be hoggin' the computer! Fair warning! :dance:

Juju: Thanks! It came out pretty decent! I've been having computer issues for the past hour that kept me from getting this thing posted, but it gave me time to eat some food.

Wingin' It

I decided I'd make wings and pizza for this throwdown. I wanted to make a contrasting meal, western new york vs far east, so I went with a buffalo chicken pizza and thai chicken wings. The pizza crust was pretty basic; 1 package of yeast, 1 C warm water, 2.5 C Bread Flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp oil. I beat the crap out of it with a kitchenaid mixer, covered it with a warm, wet towel and let it rise for a couple hours.

The buffalo chicken sauce consisted of a 6 oz bottle of louisiana hot sauce, a few tbsp of i can't believe its not butter, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp agave nectar, and 1/2 of a red habanero.

The thai sauce had roughly 1/4 C light corn syrup, 1/2 inch of ginger, 1 TBSP thai green curry paste, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 tbsp agave nectar, 1 tbsp water, juice of 1 lime, juice of 1 clementine, 1/2 yellow bhut jolokia, and 2 tbsp arrowroot powder. I threw everything together and simmered for a few minutes until it was pretty thick.

I baked 6 wings for about 45 minutes and stripped the meat for the base of the pizza. I tossed the wing meat with the hot sauce, then added it to the pizza dough that I stretch out onto a 12" pan. I then added mounds of mozzarella cheese, followed by thinly sliced onion. I baked the pizza at 550 for about 6 minutes then threw chunks of gorgonzola cheese on the pie and put it back in the oven for a couple more minutes. When it came out I topped it with scallions.

For the chicken wings I heated up some canola oil and deep fried the wings in 2 batches for about 6 minutes. I tossed them in the thai sauce and topped them with sliced scallions and sesame seeds. Here's the finished product.
IMG_7230.jpg

IMG_7233.jpg

as much as I hate to say it, because it looks tasty, it doesnt follow the rules of this particular challenge

I can see questions like, if you buy a whole chicken, can you use breast for one and legs for the other. Stick to the exact cuts. If you buy a whole chicken you can use half one way and half another, or the breasts one way and another... okay? So no leftover mis-matched cuts. This is a challenge. Start with the same exact ingredient for both.

as much as I hate to say it, because it looks tasty, it doesnt follow the rules of this particular challenge

although, you did use the wing meat, so hey
That's the idea of the challenge wheebz, to start with the same ingredient but change it significantly. What did you expect to see wings on top of the pizza? :lol:

Strong entry mj! Just give it a title.

Just in case I decide to participate this time.... PoL and such...

tease.jpg

Not everything is in the pic, but that's a start. The steak is ribeye, and the cheese is havarti. The bacon? Is bacon.

Ohhhhh yeah, the bacon is the 2-way, I can see that in the sweet element. You better enter!

Is this because I was drinking Victory and not Southern Tier? ;)

That's the idea of the challenge wheebz, to start with the same ingredient but change it significantly. What did you expect to see wings on top of the pizza? :lol:

Strong entry mj! Just give it a title.

Thanks! Just added a title.

MJ, Great first entry! I think you nailed the idea of the challenge.

vegan ray- those are good sounding homemade ingredients.

Nice moves diamond, do you deliver in 30 minutes or less? I'll take 2. We'll probably be having your wing sauce sometime, cuz CJ wrote it down. heh heh heh...

geeme's in!?!? huh. bacon, rib-eye, & chocolate. "So you have to ask yourself, did she fire 6 shots?, or only 5".....

Are you in SL? NWP is in the houuuuse!

I have no inspirations for this one. And been running in 6 different directions. I think I'll just drool on the keyboard for the weekend.
:cool:

Nice moves diamond, do you deliver in 30 minutes or less? I'll take 2. We'll probably be having your wing sauce sometime, cuz CJ wrote it down. heh heh heh...

I think it might take me a little more than 30 minutes to get some pies out to Washington ;) If you make that asian sauce I'd start with just a teaspoon of thai green curry paste, I almost overpowered mine with a tablespoon. Next time I'm going to go lighter on the curry paste and add some liquified lemongrass.

I have no inspirations for this one. And been running in 6 different directions. I think I'll just drool on the keyboard for the weekend.
:cool:

Drool is loaded with proteins; you've got your starting point for the throwdown ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back