• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was... - TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOpps. Can't forget the PoL...
ff8d4a65.jpg
SCOVIE!?!?!!??? :eek:

You killed your cat just for a TD???? How Could You!

Poor little Cairo~~~~ :sniff:

Way too early to cook yet CJJ. Beers are still chillin'. I'm on a 15 minute break from the guitars right now. Mayhem tonight, pics tomorrow.

The best meal I ever at was a collaboration of a lot of travel and restaurants.

I have spent nearly a month trying to decide what to do here. I have had a really hard time deciding. The main course is easy. That is Salt Crusted Sea Bass. But what else? I have a solution. I will make a meal of the best things I have had individually. The best appetizer, salad, soup, main course, and sides. The best appetizer I have had was raw VA Salt Oysters at Virginia Beach. My parents took me there every summer when I was a kid. When I went back as an adult I went to a restaurant called Rockefeller's on the Rudy Inlet and had these oysters. The best salad was called a Capsaicin Salad at Victory Brewing Co. in Downingtown, PA near Philly. This was when I was a very novice chilehead and I remember that it made my head sweat. I'm pretty sure mine is hotter now though. The Lobster Bisque I had on a 4th of July family vacation in Bar Harbor, ME. If you have never been there it is amazing. They put off fireworks from boat in the harbor, and I swear you can smell the lobsters in the air from all the roadside stands. We stopped and got fresh lobsters steamed right there on the side of the road for like $5 every day. Finally, the sea bass I had at Dock's Oyster House in Atlantic City, NJ about an hour after losing a couple hundred on a roulette wheel. This was so good that it made me forget. The sides are balsamic glazed asparagus, and roasted new potatoes with garlic brown butter. The asparagus I had this year when my mom took me to Morton's steak house for my birthday. The potatoes are a tribute to Betty Groff who taught me a lot about food and cooking.

VA Salt Oysters:
Served raw on the half shell with my homemade fatalii horseradish and lemons.

Capsaicin Salad:
green leaf lettuce, baby spinach, cayenne peppers, fatalii, peppers, radishes, lemon-box wine vinegrette. The vinegrette is lemon zest, lemon juice, Chilean olive oil, Franzia box blush wine, dijon mustard, sea salt, and cracked black pepper.

Lobster Bisque:
1.5lb lobster, homemade lobster stock (lobster shells, shrimp shells, onion, celery, chiles, parsley, cilantro, tarragon, thyme, garlic, lemons, wine, sea salt, black pepper, tomato paste, water), light cream, reserved lobster meat.

Put all stock ingredients in a stock pot and bring to boil. Turn down and let simmer for 3-4 hrs. Strain, add cream and season to taste. I added more salt and tarragon. Add lobster back in, garnish with chile slice, cilantro, and cheesy garlic croutons.

Salt Crusted Black Sea Bass:
2 1.5lb Black Sea Bass, whole and gutted.
2 lbs coarse sea salt
five eggs
flour
lemon slices
cilanto
parsley

Stuff cavity of fish with lemon slices, parsley, and cilantro. Meanwhile, mix eggs, flour, and sea salt into a paste in a mixing bowl. Place fish on a parchment covered oven pan and cover completely with sea salt mixture. Roast in 400F oven for twenty minutes or until crust is golden brown. Take out, crack crust with hammer or knife, and filet fish.

Sides:
My first side today are Balsamic Glazed Asparagus which is roasted in a 400f oven on an oiled pan with sea salt and cracked black pepper, then drizzled with a balsamic vinegar glaze.

The second side is Roasted New Potatoes with Garlic Brown Butter. The potatoes are roasted in a 400F oven until fork tender then drizzled with garlic brown butter. The garlic brown butter is made simply by cooking the garlic and butter over low heat until it browns.

100_9787.jpg

100_9788.jpg

The rest of the players.

100_9789.jpg

100_9790.jpg

The homemade fatalii horseradish for the oysters:

100_9774.jpg

100_9775.jpg

One more action shot. What a meal!

100_9795.jpg

WOW. Totally underestimated the level of culinary amazingness here. Jaw is dropped. Jay that is like something out of a Thomas Keller cookbook. Don't know what else to say but thanks for planning next Friday's menu!

JayT, you totally PaulKY'd that meal! Except for the oysters, everything looks and sounds incredible.

Come on TB.....We WANNA FASHION SHOW! Show of that skinny sexy body of yours. ;)

Ela, it's not the rope by itself you need to worry about....it's the combination of rope and cinder blocks :eek:

Here's my teaser pictures-
3bd7fb2e.jpg

Not too hard to guess what this one is. The real hint is in the PoL-
401c9eb6.jpg

I gotta warn y'all, I have a feeling about this one. I reached into the jar of coins, looking for a quarter from a certain state and the FIRST ONE I picked up was the one I needed. OOOOOooo! SPOOKY!

ps- also a peek at my recently acquired hand-me-down knife set. Hubby brought it home today.

:salutes: JT.

I must be allergic to rabbit. this damn merkin is itchy.... Maybe I should have bought the White one, at Merkin Shack.

So here's how I got there :hell:
61d08bfe.jpg

1e4b0edb.jpg

89c41f33.jpg

747cba4f.jpg

15caedcf.jpg

0ecc9428.jpg

84cbb64c.jpg

Our camera must have Hollandaise in it...
c7bfd7fa.jpg

TBMIEA was... EGGS BENN-ADDICTION

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Eggs Benedict

15 years ago, on a grey, dreary, rainy Sunday morning...
Let me back up....

We're friends with a band, (who have since broken up), their name, Swamp MaMa Johnson, a kind of funk, soul, blues thang. Back in the day there was a period of about a summer, we followed SMJ all over the N.W. We would head out from Seattle at 6:30 on a Friday evening, and try to hit Billings MT in time to accost the liquor store, get a hotel, and see their Saturday night show. Next weekend, Astoria OR. etc. etc.. We would find ourselves in muddy county fairground "mosh pits" or little cafe's in downtown Seattle....
Victoria B.C.! Gas up the Caddy cuz we buy gallons here, not liters. Hit the road....
It poured rain the whole weekend, nasty weather... no matter, they had two shows, Fri, and Sat, at The House of Blues. During the day we would go to the Tiger room at the Empress Hotel, go to the Wax museum 20 minutes before closing and talk that dude into letting us "fly through" HA!
So to make a great story shorter...

It was early on a Sunday morning (7:30), hungover from two nights partying like Rock Stars, literally... We need breakfast!
We slosh up the street in old downtown Victoria, no one is open, no one on the streets, no one anywhere. Cj says "Hey Look!, They're open!"
We go in and here's this little tiny place, with 8 or so tables, and an espresso machine, and the owner by himself... (Christi is ready to kiss this guy).
He seats us and asks if we wanted food... I told him that if he could just hook us up with some toast and a normal coffee for me we would be indebted to him for life.
He kind of laughs and grabs a couple paper menus... We start talking to him, and explained our hungover condition... he laughs and says "Well I'll get your coffee and Latte ma'am".
We're looking over the menu, and you wouldn't believe this menu! ALL EGGS BENEDICT! That's it! He gets back with our stimulation in a cup, and asks if we wanted to order.
"We can't decide!!!!" So he pulls up a chair, and we visit, and joke, talk about everything, still unable to decide on which Benedict to order... So finally he laughs and says, "So what do you like?"
We pointed to a couple things, and he says, "Give me a few minutes, I'll just make you breakfast."
Well, needless to say, I will never forget that morning, or breakfast, he made us a Sampler plate of Eggs Benedict!
He didn't want to even charge us! We ended up stashing a $100 (American) under the plate, and a couple Toonies, (Canadian) for a "show" tip on the table.
We walked out of his little cafe around noon...

Here's what he ended up bring out on a platter... "Chef's Choice"

86f53aab.jpg

412aab4a.jpg

(All recipes from bottom, up)

Royale
English Muffin, Toasted
A Slice of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar
Canadian Bacon (I used Black Forest Ham)
Poached egg
Hollandaise Sauce
Black Olive garnish

The Bavarian
Thick sliced French Bread
Beer and onion boiled Brats, lightly fried to finish
Sautéed, grilled onions
Poached Egg
Onion/Mushroom Country Gravy
Chopped Parsley garnish

Conquistador
English Muffin, toasted
Fried Chorizo Patty
Crumbled Cotija Cheese
Poached Egg
Enchilada Sauce
Grilled Jalapeño
Crumbled Cotija garnish

The Hangtown
Thick Sliced, Toasted French Bread
Sautéed equal parts; Mushrooms, Smoked Oysters, Cut Leaf Baby Spinach at the end. dash of Arbol' chili flakes
Poached Egg
Hollandaise Sauce
Diced Tomatoes
Parmesan/Red Savina Fried Crisp garnish

The Pacific
Thin Sliced, Toasted French Bread
Cream Cheese 'Shmear'
Alder Smoked Pacific N.W. Sockeye
Sliced Avocado
Poached Egg
Hollandaise Sauce
Green onion garnish

Scoville, being an egg-aholic your entry gets my vote so far :). I want to play here, but I'm kind of at a loss. My FAVORITE meal is wings and fried pickles. I made both recently in the Drunken Chef thread. However, the best meal I've ever had was a cheeseburger at a restaurant called Strouds in Wichita, KS. Cheeseburgers are hardly my favorite food, and I've had many a cheeseburger in the 32 years I've been on this planet. But the burger I had that night at Strouds when I was in high school was simply amazing. I don't even recall what was so spectacular about it, I just remember that it sent my tastebuds to heaven. There's a Strouds just a couple miles down the road from me here in OP, but I've been terrified to go there and get a burger. If it's not done to my memory's standard I don't know what I'd do. So, I can't just cook a simple cheeseburger for this thread. However, there is a burger that I've made before and I'm pretty sure I've submitted it here. I make them about once a year. It's NOTHING like the Strouds burger, but it's a meal I greatly enjoy and since it's a burger it pays homage to my favorite meal. I'll make it tomorrow for this thread.

SD...Great story and your meal looks awesome!!

But I'm leanin towards JT's Paulky Seafood Buffet Bel Grande Surprise (for now...so far)

If only because Maine is one of the coolest places I have ever visited, and I could imagine how good that bisque was!

Nice work on the Merkin pics. It closely resembled a Beaver Pelt...which is, I guess, what it is SUPPOSED to look like!

Posting tomorrow. Still a bit on the fence.

AwMAN! Scovie, you deserve a vote just for bringing up Swamp MaMa Johnson! Don't you get 2 plays for your quarter PoL?

(pausing for flashbacks-------)

add in the furry bits and hollandaise sauce..................

Oh wait..... maybe furry bits shouldn't be in the hollandaise sauce!

JK!

Scovie, for those of us (*hoever-impared-you-admit-to-be) What is

TBMIEA

I copy/pasted it so I wouldn't get it wrong. :)

Scovie, for those of us (*hoever-impared-you-admit-to-be) What is

TBMIEA

I copy/pasted it so I wouldn't get it wrong. :)

The Best Meal I Ever Ate

And YOU are IMPAIRED SL... I saw the fumes you were breathing today..... :smile:

FD4, :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back