• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Indoor Grow Area (Build & Grow) PICS

Ok everyone...Time for an update from Baker's Peppers :) I have decided that I want to do some seeds indoors, as well as grow to full size indoors (mainly for the isolation purposes that it brings to the table!). The unit i have built is capable of starting about 8000 seeds at MAX capacity, but i will only do about 3 or 4 thousand at a time. I have already started some of the seeds that i have purchased from THP members as well as some of the seeds THP members donated to the cause down here in Tampa :) I will do my best to keep this thread updated along the way but remember im really just a one man show down here with this amount of space to contend with...

IMAG0183.jpg

... about 7 acres, so, please excuse my lack of focus right now, got a bunch of stuff going on at once :) lol Anyway...the top portion of the area will be done in a full drip hydroponic system. Probably 24 sites with 6" net pots done with either clay pellets or that stuff from SuretoGrow.com. I havent really decided which way i wanna go there..but mainly built for doing 24 full size plants indoors, of one type at a time, for isolated seeds purposes... And there will also be a Botanicare 20 site clone machine up top as well....But as for lights up top im going with Two 8 bulb T5 fixtures, just for the energy cost being lower really, and I happen to find a trade for a few fixtures :) Down below in the lower area will be mainly the seed starting area till they are ready to be moved outdoors once ready to go. They will be in 500 cell trays with our secret soil mix that we use. As far as lights go in the bottom area, there will be 6 dual light T8 fixtures with grow bulbs in them. The bottom isnt quite all done up so i have seeds going in the top while i construct the hydroponics system for up top :) All the seeds you will see throughout this thread in my grow area have come from nothing but THP members! So this is really a tribute to you guys!! The full grown plants up top in the hydro system will also partly come from seeds from THP members as well! :) Im no carpenter or builder in ANY way but i did my best job i could on this...lol No LAUGHING at me! hahaha :)

Bottom level floor
IMAG0660.jpg

First wall going up
IMAG0665.jpg

Second wall up and support pieces
IMAG0674.jpg

Top supports to help hold it solid
IMAG0675.jpg

to be continued....

continued...

Second floor going in (this is the hydro area floor)
IMAG0680.jpg

Back and first side walls on (lined with reflective material aka FOIL!)
IMAG0685.jpg

Last side wall on (also lined with "reflective" material...LOL)
IMAG0692.jpg

Bottom area lined with plastic
IMAG0691.jpg

Roof on and top area lights installed
IMAG0694.jpg

to be continued....

continued...

Lights on in top area with seeds inside..about 400 seeds total in there in this picture...not near what will be :)
IMAG0696.jpg

Different angle of last pic
IMAG0715.jpg

Good shot of the top and bottom areas..the bottom has no lights yet...and i still need to buy plywood to make doors for the front..
IMAG0714.jpg

to be continued....

Looking awesome! Following this thread. Some questions for ya...

you are going to grow in hydro but starting the seeds in soil? why not just use rockwool from the beginning so you don't have to transplant the seedling?

Are just using that area to veg the plants and them moving them outside to flower/bloom?

Your lighting is awesome, definitely not holding back. That footprint looks perfect for a 600w bulb with a big reflector that you could just vent out (might save money in the long run with bulb replacement). Although they say t5's are perfect for seedlings and Veg so I think your doing it right.

What type of Hydro system are you building? Ebb/flow, drip, DWC?

Again thanks for spending the time making this thread, I'm always having to go the Weed forums to learn anything about Hydro so this will be a nice change.

-John

thanks for reading :) I am not currently doing any seeds that will be in the hydro system. Those seeds will be started in peat pucks old school style! :) The system will be a drip system...blueprints to follow...

DIYDripSystemPlans.jpg

Just a rough sketch...not all components pictured

I am no expert when it comes to hydroponics but everything on here and other sites online tell me that you have your spacing way to close for raising most peppers to fruiting size. Heck many of the recent hydro posts show just one or two plants taking up the whole area you have planned for 24 plants. With heavy pruning you could grow prob 4 plants in the 3x3 area for isolated seed purposes. Also you may find making one box for both seed starting and fruiting at the same time troublesome as they are wanting different temps. Might I suggest maybe using the top to grow them up a bit like the clones you make and the bottom for starting seed, think this would be a better match up. Last I have been told( someone correct me if it is wrong)that starting all the seeds and cuttings in rockwool even the ones being potted up in soil will help keeping root rot away as it keeps them drained better at the crown where it counts most.

Just my thoughts so take it for its worth.

It's a 5ft x 4ft area and the hydro system is 3 x 3 ft. I wasn't planning on using every site in the 24 site system... maybe 8 or so...so it should be ok

continued....

Seeds really booming now...
IMAG0719.jpg

More sprouts today...
IMAG0720.jpg

Bottom shelf just storage until i get all the seeds and trays in the mail...got that clone machine for free :) Plus another T5 8 bulb fixture from a friend for $60 :) (not pictured) lol
IMAG0722.jpg

NuTone Vent Fan :)
IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0726.jpg

Close Up of FREE 20 Site Clone Machine!! :)
IMAG0728.jpg

T. Scorpion and Bhut experimentals :)
IMAG0741.jpg

to be continued...

Wow, this is definitely a great thread to follow! I am gonna be down in that area around the Christmas season, maybe Ill stop in and check out the nursery. Good Luck.

Matt

Ok that looks good so far but all of these peppers will get bigger how will you fit all these large plants under just those lights all winter?

Brian,

Nice work with the plant stand..........I'm jealous.

Hey, on the aerial shot were you "crop-dusting"......ha.....just kidding!

Greg

Brian,

Nice work with the plant stand..........I'm jealous.

Hey, on the aerial shot were you "crop-dusting"......ha.....just kidding!

Greg

Brian?? whos Brian? LOL :) Thanks....actually that picture was taken by helicopter about 23 years ago! :) i dont have a current one...i have an older than that one but thats it :) I think the older one is about 35 years ago or so..maybe 40 :)

So whats the story on the nursery? Have you been running it for 20 years or did you just get it? Family, friends, sale? Sorry, I am known to be a bit nosy.

Matt

The nursery has been in my family for alomost 59 years...My grandfather built it from the ground up, my father took it over from him, and now im here doing it too....3rd generation, same land, same family name, same great plant products! :) We use to be wholesale only tropical foliage, but now we are converting the entire place to peppers :) And available to the public! :)

Back