• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Oktoberfest Throwdown III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Wheebz. I should have had her dedicate it to my Dad. He was from Abenburg Germany (just South of Nuremburg). 1935-2010. He taught CJ alot about German cuisine, and I grew up eating it.
I think she actually got along better with him than I did... So what you said actually means a lot.

I'm stuffed!

My family lived in Nuremburg for a few years (military) and all I learned was the difference between guys and girls.:) why would I care at the age of 6.
Aaron

The only German thing I did this weekend was buying THIS:

IMG_0873.jpg

100_4644.jpg

.....now if I could only find the engine..........:think:

dude that might be the best pictures you have posted yet

if you seriously have any car questions feel free to PM me about ANYTHING automotive related, ad JayT will vouch that I know cars more than I know food and beer, which is hard to fathom I understand, but I know chassis and motor swaps like I know the pictures on my "dont look at" folder in My Documents

Tequila inspired Schwein-Fest

Pork Loin
3 LB Loin
2 sticks celery
1 cup diced carrot
1/2 red onion
4 cloves garlic
1 yellow fatalii

Dice celery, onion, garlic, carrots and pan fry in OO. Slit here and there and press in garlic, add S&P - Stir 2 tblsp olive oil, 2tsp good German mustard and 2tsp hot horseradish in a cup then rub over the pork loin
Sprinkle over caraway seeds. Let sit for couple hrs then throw in the vegetables, a pint of lager/beer and bake covered at 360 for 2.5 hrs then uncovered for another 45 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes and carve

Knödel / Kartoffelklöße

1 1/2 lbs russets (about 2 large)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour (or more)
1/8 cup cornstarch
1 large egg plus one egg yolk
1 tblesp butter
1 tblesp OO
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cook unpeeled pots in salted water for about 35 mins 'til fork tender

Cut pots into large pieces. Refrigerate about 20 minutes. Mash roughly then stir in salt, flour, cornstarch and baking powder then knead until smooth. Mix in egg. Form dough into a log then let sit for 20 minutes or longer. Then roll the dough and insert the following filling -

For Potato dumpling filling -
3 green onions
4 thick slices maple smoked bacon
1 clove garlic
thin...thin....slice of T Scorp
3 tsp butter
1 tsp OO
1.5 cups organic Feta cheese
chives
S&P

Cook in boiling water for 14 mins, drain, then pan-fry in butter 'til browned.

Red Cabbage
1 small red cabbage, cored and chopped
1 large apple - sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 cup water
3 cloves garlic
2 Thai chilis
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp allspice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup balsamic

Chop a red onion into slices, pan fry in butter, add garlic, thai chili, allspice then stir in red cabbage, apple slices and sugar. Sautee for 10 minutes until there's some color on the cabbage. Add cider vinegar, salt, pepper, butter, water and cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add balsamic 15 mins before the end.

Topping for Red Cabbage/ pork and dumplings

4 slices thick cut smoked bacon
4 green onions
2 cloves garlic
1 super chile
3 tsps Balsamic
1 tsp OO
2 tsp butter
3 large mushrooms
s&p

Dice the bacon and pan fry until it's starting to crisp. Finely chop green onions, garlic, mushrooms, chile and add to the bacon. Add butter and OO then saute for 5 minutes. Add balsamic and reduce down to syrup.

Pork Loin Gravy
[veggies from the roast pork]
3 large sliced mushrooms
Sprig of fresh chive
2 Thai chiles
1 cup beer

Remove all the solids/liquids from the pork loin baking dish and place into blender. Add the thai chile to blender and run to a smooth blend then place in skillet. Add beer then reduce down until a gravy consistency, Add mushrooms, chive, season and cook for 5 minutes

Tart Cran-apple Strudel

1 lb tart red apples
1 lb unsweetened tart cranberries
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tequila
1/4 cup butter
pinch salt

Core and slice apples pan fry in butter add salt and add cranberries. Saute for 4 mins then add tequila and flambe. Cook for another 5 mins then set aside to cool

Pastry
2 cups ap flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
tsp water
1/2 tsp salt
egg wash

Combine dry then wet ingredients and need for 3 minutes, add more flour if needed until it isn't too sticky. Set aside for one hour min. Shape into log, cut in half then roll out into 2 8" X 12" pieces. Layer first piece with 1/2 fruit mix, add second dough layer and add the remaining fruit then roll up into log. Brush with egg wash, layer with Thai chiles and bake for 45 - 55 mins.

Plating
Slice the strudel and use under cabbage. Cut dumplings in half. Slop out the pork and cover in gravy, put the topping over everything. Serve and eat.

4.jpg

2.jpg

dude that might be the best pictures you have posted yet

if you seriously have any car questions feel free to PM me about ANYTHING automotive related, ad JayT will vouch that I know cars more than I know food and beer, which is hard to fathom I understand, but I know chassis and motor swaps like I know the pictures on my "dont look at" folder in My Documents

Me no comprende tater tot boy. Now get to postin'

Yeah yeah, he knows cars.

woke up an hour ago, car wont start

misfire on cylinder 3, bad coilpack, and my other car is back in PA

guess ill have to make due with what I have here at the house instead of getting shit at the grocery store

so much fail

Well sorry to everyone for having this TD extended another day, granted that allowed for some more entries which I am all about, but as far as my entry is concerned its an absolute and total F*$^ing failure and I am now in an absolutely $hi!TY F@&#king mood due to the car

Pictures of said failure are uploading right now, and even though I will be posting an entry as I said I would, I do not expect any votes

Wheebz Dumb F*@%ing Idea

Alright here we go

I decided yesterday that after seeing the entries I really had to step my game up and make something traditional german and nice and hearty and healthy

My original idea was to do a Pork Knuckle braised with rosemary, thyme, garlic, and Southern Tier Bierfest (which is a one off 30bbl batch that I wrote the recipe for in anticipation of the upcoming throwdown), and throw it on top of home made Spatzle, and I was going to take the juices from the braising, reduce it, and throw in our OAT, oatmeal imperial stout

Well that flopped almost instantly when I couldn't get Pork Knuckle at Wegmans. This must be the only wegmans that doesnt have Pork Knuckle in the entire united states

So I said, "well if I cant beat them with tradition, lets beat them with the usual suspects, only make it german style and make the HEAT unbearable"

Unfortunately I forgot the fact that I am absolutely horrible at making anything resembling dough, which should be the simplest thing in the kitchen to do considering the ingredients... But I am horrible at it and it was very apparent that my new idea was going to flop in a heartbeat

Not to mention the fact that my car just shit out on me, and put me in an unbelievably crappy mood, and my lack of "doughmastery" didnt really help at all

Teaser

2011-10-10_17-13-30_35.jpg

So this was the idea

use stupidly hot peppers to make poppers, because I am an idiot and thought that I could win you all over with the heat factor, which after eating I am seriously regretting this decision I made

Cordon Bleu Poppers and sauerkraut stuffed spatzle dumplings

2011-10-10_17-16-11_756.jpg

Peppers used:

Orange Habanero
Red Savina
Fatalii
Yellow and Red Trinidad Scorpion, which let me tell you right now was F@%$ing stupid, and I am in a serious amount of physical pain, and not the good kind

Stuffing:
shredded chicken breast
home made pepperoni from a friend, made from pork
sharp cheddar and Butterkase, wegmans was good for one thing yesterday and this was it
garlic

Topped with peppered bacon and parmesian cheese

2011-10-10_17-41-46_256.jpg

2011-10-10_17-41-51_309.jpg

Now comes the complete and udder disaster that is Wheebz and flour combined

I tried to make dough using the Bierfest, flour and celery salt, and it failed miserably, and I mean miserably

I was going to stuff it with black peppercorns and sauerkraut, but instead I kind of just made an infusion and threw it in the oven because I was sick of dealing with it

2011-10-10_18-20-18_415.jpg

So instead I improvised and turned some dough into a pancake, pan fried it with the sauerkraut and pepper, and made a little dumpling pizza kind of deal

2011-10-10_18-06-37_953.jpg

Cordon Bleu poppers finished, half of which are on my plate

2011-10-10_18-20-25_863.jpg

Wheebz Cordon Bleu Poppers and Sauerkraut Dumpling Pancake

Peppers used:

Orange Habanero
Red Savina
Fatalii
Yellow and Red Trinidad Scorpion, which let me tell you right now was F@%$ing stupid, and I am in a serious amount of physical pain, and not the good kind

Stuffing:
shredded chicken breast
home made pepperoni from a friend, made from pork
sharp cheddar and Butterkase, wegmans was good for one thing yesterday and this was it
garlic

Topped with peppered bacon and parmesian cheese

Dumpling Pancake:
Flour
Southern Tier Bierfest
Celery Salt
Massive failures
Sauerkraut

2011-10-10_18-20-42_44.jpg

2011-10-10_18-20-48_184.jpg

my stomach is wretching with pain right now from the T scorp poppers

make it stop someone, please make it stop

If it makes you feel any better, I almost pissed myself reading your post.
It's like an anti-hero thing. Everything went wrong for you today. Hate to laugh at your expense, but you present it funny!!
Real Curb Your Enthusiasm stuff.

Just a question. Why are you prototyping an Oktoberfest beer now. You can't really release it this year, right? Isn't it kinda late to get started?

I'll bet if they weren't so damn hot, those poppers would have been money!!

Sorry about the car. Call Paul. He just got one he can loan out.

ohh the rest of the peppers are phenominal, I am gonna have to do this with Jala's next time

and we sell it at our bar, we dont package any of it for retail sales other than on tap at the brewery and for employees to take home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back