• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Puerco Pibil

Now that I received my Annatto- / Achiote-seeds I started the real deal of Puerco pibil.

We invited some neighbors so I used 3600 g of pork. For the marinade I used 3 tsps. of cumin seeds, 1,5 Tbsp. of black peppercorns, 12 allspice berries and 1 tsp. of whole cloves and this time 100 g of Achiote-seeds, powdered them in the Magic Bullet. I added 1,5 tsp. of my homemade tabasco powder. I mixed 200 ml of orange juice, 200 ml of lemon juice, 125 ml of white vinegar and about 100 ml of tequila. The next step was to blend the powder with 3 Tbsps. of salt and 12 cloves of garlic. I mixed all that to a nice acidic liquid. I cut the pork into pieces of 2 by 2 inches and put them in a bowl with the marinade. The meat marinaded overnight.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Heck yeah!!! Now we're cooking!

IMG_0128.jpg

And here is the sex on a plate.
IMG_0129.jpg

Between the Puerco "Lake Constance" and the Puerco pibil there is only one difference: 100 g of Achiote. But there is a hole world in between. It's not only the color. It adds a lot of flavor and a hole lot of texture. I liked the last dish. But I love this one!

Fantastic! Absolutely the achiote is needed for flavor and texture. It sort of "curries" it. This looks amazing and I want to try it.

thehotpepper.com said:
Fantastic! Absolutely the achiote is needed for flavor and texture. It sort of "curries" it. This looks amazing and I want to try it.

Go for it! You won't regret!

Looking at this I also want to try it with sectioned chicken pieces. I would section two whole chickens and brown them, and then follow the recipe. Or maybe legs and thighs! What do you think?

I gave this a shot after seeing your post. Definitely going to be making more in the future. Thanks for sharing Armadillo!

Here is what I came up with. Great stuff.

DSC05110.jpg

Gallon said:
I gave this a shot after seeing your post. Definitely going to be making more in the future. Thanks for sharing Armadillo!

Here is what I came up with. Great stuff.

DSC05110.jpg

That looks awesome! I will have to come back to it soon!

Today we will have a lot of guests so I decided to make another batch of puerco pibil. I used 6,7 kg of pork and the fitting amount of ingredients including a few red habs. Here's the meat:
IMG_0486.jpg

The ground spices:
IMG_0487.jpg

The marinaded meat before it went into the fridge overnight:
IMG_0488.jpg

Back