• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Puerco Pibil

Now that I received my Annatto- / Achiote-seeds I started the real deal of Puerco pibil.

We invited some neighbors so I used 3600 g of pork. For the marinade I used 3 tsps. of cumin seeds, 1,5 Tbsp. of black peppercorns, 12 allspice berries and 1 tsp. of whole cloves and this time 100 g of Achiote-seeds, powdered them in the Magic Bullet. I added 1,5 tsp. of my homemade tabasco powder. I mixed 200 ml of orange juice, 200 ml of lemon juice, 125 ml of white vinegar and about 100 ml of tequila. The next step was to blend the powder with 3 Tbsps. of salt and 12 cloves of garlic. I mixed all that to a nice acidic liquid. I cut the pork into pieces of 2 by 2 inches and put them in a bowl with the marinade. The meat marinaded overnight.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Here's what I finally put into the oven:
IMG_0491.jpg

And that's the result:
IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

And again it was very tender and tasty. The meat melted on the tongue. It had a bit of heat, enough for me to recognize it and not too much for my guests. I love that dish and will have to do it again with a bit more heat.

I've been meaning to try this for ages Armadillo and I've finally gotten around to it today.
5tbsp Annato Seeds, 1tbsp Black Pepper, 2tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/2tsp Cloves and 8 Allspice Berries.
puerco1001.jpg

Spices run through the coffee grinder (the smell is amazing once it's ground up) and added to 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup orange juice, juice of 5 lemons, 8 garlic cloves, 1tbsp of salt (recipe called for 2 but I'm not real keen on salty food) and a good splash of tequila. Rarely drink tequila so not sure if that stuff's any good or not but was the best in the store.
puerco1005.jpg

Oops, nearly forgot the heat, 10 Choc Habs.
puerco1006.jpg

All into the blender and the marinade's done.
puerco1007.jpg

2.3kgs of pork here but I trimmed off the skin and a bit of the fat so it'll come to about the 5lbs called for.
puerco1008.jpg

I started a bit late so I only marinated for a little over an hour.
puerco1009.jpg

Wrapped in the banana leaves and ready for the oven at 165c/325f for 4 hours.
puerco1011.jpg

It's only been cooking about an hour now so I have a while to wait but it's starting to smell good already, I'll be drooling long before it's ready. Pics later when it's done.

After much salivating and time checking it was finally ready to eat.

puerco2003.jpg

Was it worth the wait...... hell yeah. The pork was oh so tender and I really enjoyed the flavour of this dish, it'll definitely be making a repeat appearance in my kitchen. I served it with wholegrain brown rice (1/2tsp of cumin seeds added), some tomato, a few freshly picked winter Jalapenos (roasted in the oven for the last half hour) and I even sliced an onion earlier and pickled it the last few hours. And the obligatory nip of tequila on the side of course....

puerco2004.jpg

It's definitely worth the effort to make and I recommend it to anyone. Fine fare.

I have to agree, that looks delicious ... ack, I should stop reading these forums, they always make me hungry :'(

¥

Was it worth the wait...... hell yeah. The pork was oh so tender and I really enjoyed the flavour of this dish, it'll definitely be making a repeat appearance in my kitchen. I served it with wholegrain brown rice (1/2tsp of cumin seeds added), some tomato, a few freshly picked winter Jalapenos (roasted in the oven for the last half hour) and I even sliced an onion earlier and pickled it the last few hours. And the obligatory nip of tequila on the side of course....
It's definitely worth the effort to make and I recommend it to anyone. Fine fare.

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Looks yummy!

Thanks go to Amadillo for posting this in the first place :)

You're welcome!

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Looks yummy!

You're welcome!
It was quite nice and lasted me a few days, just had to scrape the layer of fat off the top after it cooled... :) I noticed the first one you made looked quite different, do you think this was due to the Tabasco powder thickening the liquids up? I might try it again with some Cayenne powder and fewer habs and see how it goes.

It was quite nice and lasted me a few days, just had to scrape the layer of fat off the top after it cooled... :) I noticed the first one you made looked quite different, do you think this was due to the Tabasco powder thickening the liquids up? I might try it again with some Cayenne powder and fewer habs and see how it goes.

It's always a good thing to experiment with different peppers. But I'm sure that the difference between my two batches is caused by a finer ground Achiote in the first batch. With the second batch I was in a hurry so I didn't take the necessary time for a fine grind. I regretted it a bit. The taste of the second batch was great but the texture had been smoother the first time.

Back