• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Would a small greenhouse keep my peppers warm in the morning

My pepper plants are getting a little too big for the seed flat and I have to move them to bigger cups/pots soon. I want to put them outside because I don't have a big enough light for them inside and it has been warm outside except for at night. If the weather is like this > http://www.imgur.com/ehEWxv6 would making a small green house keep them warm enough in the morning?

adnewr said:
My pepper plants are getting a little too big for the seed flat and I have to move them to bigger cups/pots soon. I want to put them outside because I don't have a big enough light for them inside and it has been warm outside except for at night. If the weather is like this > http://www.imgur.com/ehEWxv6 would making a small green house keep them warm enough in the morning?
Certainly will. The only thing to worry about would be making sure it has vents you can open during the day if you'll be keeping the plants in there. I've found my mini greenhouses can get up over 90 inside with the vents closed during the day even if it's only 60 outside. 

I guess it depends on the size/build of the greenhouse, it's exposure to sun and other variables. There are things you can do to keep it warmer, though. You could put it adjacent to the south side of a building, using the wall of the building to retain some of the sun's heat. You could also put a couple of buckets of water inside the greenhouse. Water has a high heat capacity, which means it would store heat throughout the day and slowly release it at night - kind of like how a coastal location stays warmer at night than locations that are further inland. Just a few tricks, I'm sure others here have more experience and ideas.
      Good luck!

you just have to worry if there is a freeze warning. Otherwise you are probably just fine with those temps and good sun exposure.

MeatHead1313 said:
Certainly will. The only thing to worry about would be making sure it has vents you can open during the day if you'll be keeping the plants in there. I've found my mini greenhouses can get up over 90 inside with the vents closed during the day even if it's only 60 outside. 
Wow. How long do you leave them to grow in the greenhouse?

adnewr said:
Wow. How long do you leave them to grow in the greenhouse?
I got mine at the end of November as a way to over winter a few plants and still be able to keep them outside. Had to add a small space heater for the nights it got into and below the 30's. As soon as the last fronts finish rolling through the plants will be coming out and the greenhouse's will be stored til next winter.

Back