• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Worms in large container? Good or Bad Idea??

Hey guys

Today, I was just putting 4 trinidad perfume into my 80L container, and I was also repotting my Japanese red maple bonsai, and from the Japanese red maple I found some worms, so I decided to throw them into my 80L container with 4 trinidad perfume growing in it. Is this a good idea? would the worms eat my roots? or would they improve the soil? ** container is outside in the back yard.

What do you think?

the worms will constantly poo creating to much N in the soil as well as crowding the worms and plant roots space. Did you add in worm food as well such as veggies? It aslo depends on how many worms you put in. If its just a few worms then its no biggie, but several would be a bad idea.

Well, last year, I'm pretty sure I had earthworms take out some very small seedlings. But that was an unusual case in which the worms were in containers with little else to eat, and it's natural for them to come out at night and forage for edibles.

thanks for the input guys, the soil in the container is new, its this triple mix I got from walmart. So I dont think there is any other organic stuff in there, should I put some egg shell and veggie left overs in there for the worms? its a container with very small holes, so they are not going anywhere. will they multiply into hundreds? Im thinking I can probably kill them buy flooding the container if I have to right?
fyi 80L is approx 20 us gallons

Back