• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

winter time is near

this is my first year growing a pepper, so i only have 1 to worry about this year. next year will be a different story, but for now, 1 is all i got. heres the question. next year i am going to grow several types, and i am thinking of actually planting them in the ground instead of a container, so i am wondering what do i do next winter, just let them die? i do not want to go through the trouble of transplanting them, so thats not really an option for me. i am also wondering how i would regrow them the year after, just save some seeds? (ive read on how to dry them for planting). as you may or may not know, its not really the arctic down here in charlotte, so i can probably grow until mid october to late october. so im only looking at ~3-4 months without fresh peppers, but i can just get them in the fresh market down the road. input on any of this? thanks! :hell:

I'm looking out my window at a frosty lawn this morning. The thermometer says 3 celcius right now and its chilly.

Your best bet Ross is to save seeds and let your plants die off in the winter. You can dry, freeze, smoke, pickle... enough peppers to get you threw the winter.

POTAWIE said:
I'm looking out my window at a frosty lawn this morning. The thermometer says 3 celcius right now and its chilly.

Your best bet Ross is to save seeds and let your plants die off in the winter. You can dry, freeze, smoke, pickle... enough peppers to get you threw the winter.

ok , yeah i was thinking of pickling some peppers. sounds like fun :mouthonfire:

thanks for the input!

I'm not real great at growing from seeds so I just buy starter plants...readily available at most nurserys and home despots.

chuk hell said:
I'm not real great at growing from seeds so I just buy starter plants...readily available at most nurserys and home despots.

arent you limited to just jalepenos, habaneros, and bell peppers when you do that?

It depends. I found red caribeans and chocolate habs this year. But if you want to grow lots of exotic species you probably need to learn to grow from seeds.

P_Schneider said:
ChilePlants.com has a huge selection of seedlings in the spring and I've never had any problems ordering from them.

yeah i think i emailed them and never heard back. so perhaps you can answer:

can i order the plants now? and they will ship them to me when they are in their nursery? or do i have to wait and order them once they are in stock?

i asked the same question to them, and got nothing back:whistle:

You can also clone (take a cutting) from a plant you want to keep, plant in a small pot and keep it overwinter.

As you are cloning from the same plant, you can have the same variety year-to-year without the hassle of seeds and germination.

When it's time to plant out next spring, you will have a very hardy plant that you can transplant to the garden and it will start fruiting when it gets warm.

As for ChiliPlants.com, I like that site, and I will be making an order in the spring. I am going to have a salsa garden with an emphasis on peppers. I had to spend all of my summer this year recovering so next year is it. Thanks for the site.

I live near Pittsburgh, and the weather is starting to get a bit cooler. I have two habanero plants that still have a ton of small green pods on them, and the plants themselves aren't very large, maybe two feet tall tops. I have several very large planters, one I'm about to empty out (has a Bells of Ireland in it that's dying) and clean up. Could I dig a large amount of the soil around my plants and transfer them into the planter and keep them indoors until all the peppers fully ripen if it starts to get dangerously cold here?

Skydiver said:
I live near Pittsburgh, and the weather is starting to get a bit cooler. I have two habanero plants that still have a ton of small green pods on them, and the plants themselves aren't very large, maybe two feet tall tops. I have several very large planters, one I'm about to empty out (has a Bells of Ireland in it that's dying) and clean up. Could I dig a large amount of the soil around my plants and transfer them into the planter and keep them indoors until all the peppers fully ripen if it starts to get dangerously cold here?

That should work but you will be bringing many insects into your house. You may want to flush your soil with insecticidal soap or other 'safe' products. Another alternative is to use row covers or rig up some sort of shelter. If the peppers become close to ripe, you can pick the whole plants roots and all and hang. Pods will continue to ripen. I've been hit with a few frosts already but plants are still flowering and producing although they are getting sort of sad looking.

I usually use insecticidal soap but you can use regular biodegradable dish soap. I mix with water and flood the pot till water comes out the bottom and repeat a couple of times over a week or so if needed. You can also use peroxide(H2O2) or possibly mild bleach but be sure of your measurements as too much will easily burn. There are also insecticidal powders you can apply to your soil and other natural methods including using Peppers or spices. Your best bet Skydiver would be to repot with sterilized soilless mixture and not garden soil. Here is a good link with some usefull info on pests and home remedies although not a lot on soil.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/49415/get_rid_of_bugs_on_houseplants.html

POTAWIE said:
you can pick the whole plants roots and all and hang.
I keep hearing people say that. Don't listen! Killing a healthy plat that can be overwintered and produce larger, healthier, and more peppers next year is just plane wrong.

Take you unripped peppers (plucking them as closed to ripeness as you can when the frost comes), place them in a papper bag, place bag in dark cabinet. They will be rippened within a week.

imaguitargod said:
I keep hearing people say that. Don't listen! Killing a healthy plat that can be overwintered and produce larger, healthier, and more peppers next year is just plane wrong.

Take you unripped peppers (plucking them as closed to ripeness as you can when the frost comes), place them in a papper bag, place bag in dark cabinet. They will be rippened within a week.

now...thats the first time i've heard that one...does it really work..?

marcosauces said:
now...thats the first time i've heard that one...does it really work..?
You bet ya! I just did it two weeks ago and last week. Two weeks ago the dog's tail knocked off a Carrabean pepper that was green. So the did the bag rip thing. It also works with many other fruit (bananas and such).

imaguitargod said:

Do listen. To me they seem to ripen quicker when on the plant and are easier to deal with especially in large quantities. Don't do this to healthy plants, only ones that must be harvested because of bad weather. Placing in a bag is good for small quantities especially if you have ethylene producing veggies as well. "Ethylene, also known as the 'death' or 'ripening hormone' plays a regulatory role in many processes of plant growth, development and eventually death. Fruits, vegetables and flowers contain receptors which serve as bonding sites to absorb free atmospheric ethylene molecules. The common practice of placing a tomato, avocado or banana in a paper bag to hasten ripening is an example of the action of ethylene on produce"
http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ethylene-Gas.htm
This red savina took less than a week for 75% to ripen

Back