• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter Grow Light 24/7?

Hey you all!   I live in South Louisiana but I am expecting to get freezes on and off for the next few months.   I pulled my peppers into the garage and put them under a grow light that I think is a lot less than they need.

I got started late and never got any peppers but just wanted them to survive the winter so I could try again with them in the spring.

Since I'm not worried about them flowering can I put them under light 24/7 during the winter months or will that confuse them too much?

I wouldn't. There isn't that much of a benefit to justify the power usage. I've had mine produce under 16/8. For growth. A 12/12 should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

there is an excellent thread here on this site for overwintering plants that you may want to check out. i would say 16 on and 8 hours off but i don`t know if you trimmed them back, or how many plants and what type of lighting you have. 

I was going to say exactly what the other 2 said.  Sure, you can let them run.  But there's not tangible benefit to continuous illumination.  Wear and tear on lights, and electricity bills are real, though.

Back