• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Why Thai joints are for chiliheads...

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Just wondering if you can smell the heat wafting from this image.

curry-6-20-11.jpg

Chicken Jungle Curry from the local joint made Thai hot! (A non-coconut milk curry, extremely hot, with peppers, eggplant, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, baby corn, zucchini, and Asian pumpkin.)

Chains will never do that for you. Stop being disappointed by BWW and Chili's folks. Thai joints will pack the peppers in, red and green birdseyes (maybe more). Just ask for Thai hot and it's chilihead approved. Usually house-made sriracha too.

Been eating Thai forever, just thought I'd share...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

"Can you make that Thai hot?"

"This is our hottest curry, do you want it even hotter?"

"Yes please"

Ohhhh the burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
:mouthonfire:

All the dishes I ask for it as hot as possible, they just add a couple of fresh birds eye peppers. Now I'm pretty darned used to the sharp heat and flavour of those peppers.
Have to add powder to get it hotter now.... lol.

By the wya, it does look nice, been wanting to try a true Jungle Curry, I have a recipe for a paste which has 20 peppers in it, might give it a try soon...

Yeah it depends where you go this place packs the heat, it might be more than birdseye cuz it's hawt!

Another Thai joint by me, love the food, but it's never hot enuf. They do have a nice sriracha though.

My Thai place let's me bring my own peppers as they only stock the standard Thai peppers. Had them make me a panang curry with a fresh chocolate bhut and it really lit me up. I think most Thai restaurants wound do the same as mine..?

I always ask for 10 out of 10 stars hot and then still have
to add the fresh chopped thai chilies in fish oil they always
have in the spice tray.

It's the same at Indian restaurants.
"Do you want that mild, medium, hot or Indian Hot?"
"Indian Hot please..."

I have never seen a Thai buffet. Do they exist anywhere or is
the food simply prepared so fresh that it is noncongruent
with sitting under a heat lamp?

I like to go to the mall to Panda and order my sesame chicken(I know it isn't thai) The little old lady who has been there since I was a kid knows me and just yells in the back "Suicide Sesame Chicken!" Always good, but the one time the cook that was in back got me good. 2 bites HOLY %%%%%%%%%%%%% 20 minutes later 3 more bites and the rest was consumed cold as leftovers that night. That was the first time I ever experienced indigestion. At the time I snacked on thai fires I grew and some Habs. I have yet to find that cook to thank him and never again has it been that hot, but always great heat.

I think Thai has got to be my favorite asian cuisine. The local restaurant here knows me by name (although always seems to forget my wife...) and comps me appetizers all the time. One time I asked where one can buy Thai Tea leaves to brew at home and my favorite waitress told me of a particular asian grocer in China Town. I went back in for lunch a few days later and they straight up gave me a 2lb. bag of Thai Tea (btw that's a helluva lot of tea). Very sad to see that place close, but very happy to see it reopen a year later with a new name and now owned by that very waitress's family. Can't wait to go back with home grown chiles!

Had a Jungle curry from a local thai joint the other night after being told it was VERY hot by three employees. It tastes awesome but alas the heat was on par with Tabasco sauce. Yummy yes, hot no.

Stop complaining, you're lucky they have that in prison.

I have a great thai joint near me and i get mine as hot as they can possibly make it they laugh and shake thier heads when i order and leave.

We have a new Thai place that opened in the valley, no other Thai places less than 90 miles away-

First visit- ordered 5 out of 5 stars- a little heat, but we both dumped on some bhut powder I carry in a vial in my purse.

Second visit- ordered 7 stars, I hear the cook in the back "7?!? Are you sure?"- nice heat, but still not hot.

3rd visit- ordered 8 stars, the waitress couldn't even stand to stay in the kitchen when it was cooking because of the fumes- FINALLY a decent heat, but still not blazing.

Next visit- 10! Just to see what they'll do :hell:

Other than that, the place is really yummy and the freshness is delightful.

"Thai joint" sorry I was on a different wave length there.

I'm an English man who's been living in Thailand for ten years now. Totally love Thai food but Thai's here truly believe Thai bird chilli (prik kee noo) is as hot as it gets. That is until I sprinkle a few Bhut flakes on top of their noodles. :rofl:

You had me at 20!
Care to share? :)

From "South East Asian Food" by Rosemary Brisenden.

This book is out of print, highly expensive and hard to find, however many Asian cooks and chef's swear by this book.

I want you to know I dug this one out from my oversized cookbook collection just for you ;)

If you are skilled in using the mortar and pestle, it's use will pay off here. Otherwise a food processor can help after powdering the dried spices. Roast all the seeds and hard spices to release their natural oils.

Paste Ingredients
10-20 Birds Eye Chillies (Obviously we can substitute for a hotter and tastier variety here).
10 white peppercorns
1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
2 thick slices galangal, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped kaffir lime skin
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
6 medium cloves of garlic
3 whole shallots

Garnish
2 clusters fresh green peppercorns (optional)
2 red chillies, seeded and sliced into strips
a handful of holy basil leaves

Dish Ingredients
10 green or whitegolf-ball eggplant
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
500g chicken thigh fillets (cut the thai way - 2cmx4cm@45')
2 cups water
1 tablespoon fish sauce

Recipe
Trim eggplant into 4 wedges, leave them in salted water to preserve freshness.
Make the curry paste
Heat oil in wok, and fry the spice paste until fragrant.
Add chicken and stir-fry until the meat changes colour.
Add the water and fish sauce to taste.
Once boiled, drain and add the eggplant wedges.
Simmer until eggplants are cooked. (but not soft - texture is key here)
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Dish into a serving bowl and garnish with fresh (not dried - try soaking in hot water) green peppercorns, red chilli strips and holy basil.
Eat with rice.

Traditionally in Asia, this is cooked with wild boar and gathered fresh bamboo shoots. Most game meats or pork will suffice. Dish is traditional of Central-North Asia.

I love Thai food! There's a new place near my mums that we got some take out from the other day - it was awesome! Although I've let my tolerance drop off so much over the last 10 months... had a massamun curry and I could feel the heat in that!! Even my mum couldnt feel any spice! Time to start building up that tolerance again!

Back