• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Why are jalapenos usually eaten green?

The main reason,...... $$$$$$...

As someone else pointed out the green Jalapenos have "Big Time" shelf life, they're easier to crate and transport, no over ripened mush.

I mainly use the green ones raw, cooked, sliced and dehydrated, and pickled, however the red ones are sweeter and milder .
I make a "Red Peno" and my version of a "Sriracha" sauce with the red Jalapenos.

Greg

From my experience, once the jalapeno turns red, it is only good for a few days before it goes soft and starts to mold. I LOVE the taste of red jalapenos, so I let some go on the vine until I get enough to make something with them. As far as buying them, very hard to find.

You are so right Lunchbox. I planted too many Jalapenos and had to pick a huge tub of them after a frost. Now I don't know what to do with them. The superhots are getting all/most of my attention.

We all have our "trendy" peppers, superhots and off the wall, hard to find ones. But can one really have a pepper garden without a few jalapeno plants (serrano also) imho. I like green mostly for poppers. In general, I prefer the taste of jalapeno's once they turn red. The flavour seems a little more "rounded" to me when ripe. Use them for a simple sauce and pickle/can the remainder. Give them away to family and friends who's heat tolerence is at this level.

Red jalapenos when grilled or fried, just a shake of salt over the whole plate and they become a taste of heaven in my opinion. Def one of my all time favorites.

Greens are ok, i like salsa verde, but i prefer the reds so much more.

Back