• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Wholesale bedding plant nurseries...soil mixes...nutes

The other day I stopped by the local Grange Co Op and saw that they had ghost pepper plants for sale.  This was a first for the Grange in my area.  Anyway, I noticed that the plants looked extremely healthy, so I bought a couple for $1.49 each.  Hard to beat that  price!  (I'll probably need a few more...)  When I got the plants home, and re-potted them to 1 gallon pots, I noticed they had massive root systems for such small plants, and were completely root bound.  This got me to thinking what large scale nursery operations use as far as soil mixes, and, nutes.  The soil mix that these ghost pepper plants were in looked like plain old peat moss with some perlite.  But, I really wonder what nutes they use to get such massive root systems.

Anybody have any insight into large scale operations like the one below?  What do they use for soil mix, and nutes?

http://www.peoriagardens.com/index.html

Nurseries around here often use Promix or Sunshine #4 growers mix. Don't know about nutes though, when I started asking about it they didn't want to say. Maybe you should ask the Co Op what they used? I bet they would be more likely to share their knowledge with you. 

I've been using fox farm ocean forest this year with great results. No need to worry about adding nutrients, but it can get too expensive if you grow in containers all year. 

i mean my plants got pretty rootbound in their solo cups, bottom 1/4 is pretty much solid roots lol.
dynagrow foliage pro, berger.ca custom mix (pine bark/rice hulls/peatmoss doesn't say exactly on bag since it's custom)

IMG_20140407_131222.jpg

Mallory said:
Nurseries around here often use Promix or Sunshine #4 growers mix. Don't know about nutes though, when I started asking about it they didn't want to say. Maybe you should ask the Co Op what they used? I bet they would be more likely to share their knowledge with you. 

I've been using fox farm ocean forest this year with great results. No need to worry about adding nutrients, but it can get too expensive if you grow in containers all year. 

That's interesting.  I saw a bale of the Sunshine #4 at a local nursery.  I sent an email to Peoria Gardens, but, no response.  Today, I'll go to Co Op and see if they know.  If I get any accurate info, I'll post it.

EDIT: An email from Peoria Gardens went like this, below.  No surprise...Co Op knew nothing.

"Dear Jim,

Glad you picked up some Peoria starts!  I'm afraid that both our fertilizer and soil mix are proprietary.  I can say that our fertilizer contains a nice balance of micronutrients, and that our soil mix also includes composted bark, peat, pumice and lime.  Thanks again for your support.  Happy gardening!

Best regards,
Ben"

Back