• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which pepper to grow in TX

2012 will be my first season to grow peppers. I just read this whole thread, start to finish. It was very informative, and made me glad that my first grow year was NOT 2011. It was punishingly brutal here in Austin. Never paid so dang much for electricity in my life.... COMBINED! :eek:

Glad to see a thread for the TEXANS. Thanks to all who wrote in this thread.
Cheers to you! :beer:

It'll be good to have you on for 2012, SQ. I hope that 2009 and 2011 aren't the new normal. We'll see...

Maybe we'll have to have an Austin (or Texas) growers' party at either plant out or harvest next year. Sure would be a fun thing to see happen. I wonder if there's enough interest to actually make that happen?

Welcome, Smiter, and best of luck growing in the inferno! Maybe there should be a forum devoted to growing under extreme weather conditions....

I forgot to mention that I grew a couple other C. baccatum varieties this summer, but they were planted late, so my observations aren't really reliable. However, my experience may be worth something:

Birgit's Locoto: Grew a lot of stem and foliage right away, but root development was much slower. Heavy pod production after the cool down, in October. My pods seem a little smaller than what I've seen elsewhere on the web.

Queen Laurie: Good root, stem, and leaf growth in the big heat. Excellent largish pods came later, after the cool down. These are some groovy orange, cigar-shaped pods, with very nice C. baccatum flavor.

Note: These varieties, whose seeds came from Wayright, germinated at the rate of 100%. I suspect either one of them, if started in December and allowed to develop large, robust root balls and leaf canopies before a mid-March plant out, would do quite well in the heat of the Texas summer.

Guyana PI 199506: Good performance in the extreme heat, much better performance and much larger pods after the cool-down. Loves the nitrogen.

All these types (and most all chiles that I've grown) seem to do much better with very deep, loamy soil, and a really thick layer of shredded hardwood mulch. The effect of which seems to be:

* increasing draining ability of the soil, which allows for heavier watering during extremely hot weather.
* allowing a larger root ball, which lets the plants get a bigger drink when it's real hot and dry.
* increases the beneficial bacterias and molds in the soil, which makes for healthier plants, which can better withstand the extreme heat.
* allows for more uniform moisture content, both over time and spatially.

One side effect of using large amounts of shredded hardwood and watering heavily is nutrient deprivation through leeching and "nitrogen hunger," caused by takeup of minerals during the rotting process. One must compensate by adding over-normal amounts of high-nitrogen fertilizers. I like to use a nice "base layer" of Osmocote 14-14-14 pellets (time released) and adjust when needed with MG Liquid, the one in the yellow bottle.

It'll be good to have you on for 2012, SQ. I hope that 2009 and 2011 aren't the new normal. We'll see...

Maybe we'll have to have an Austin (or Texas) growers' party at either plant out or harvest next year. Sure would be a fun thing to see happen. I wonder if there's enough interest to actually make that happen?

I like this idea...when and where....

I like this idea...when and where....

Me too, I think it's a good idea.. If my schedule allows for it, I would certain attend.
-J

Hmmm...you guys have my gears churning now. Looks like I finally landed another gig in Austin in January, so I'm likely staying here.

Maybe I'll put together a little survey of likely interest + any fun stuff folks would like to see at such a gathering.

My wife even thought it'd be fun. We usually hit the Hot Sauce Festival here each year. But it's in August, and there's nothing but hot sauce. She already said she might like to contribute some kind of fiery (or even sweet pepper) baked goods.

Beth is in Houston and hopefully could make it with enough heads up also.

Seems to me that October is a sweet spot, 'cause folks can bring in some harvest for that weekend and share it. That's a long way away, but it would make for a bigger crowd with more lead time, I think.

Zestfest seems like a logical place to meet up. It's not anywhere near plant out time but certainly a great event. I am so broke these days that I have began to wonder if I can get there this year. I spoke to Beth at this years Zfest so she might make it again.

Mike

zestfest looks like some good fun. I did not even know about that! Since its in DFW area I can most likely attend.
From looking at their website it seems thats its very chef-centric rather than grow-centric....still I'm interested in going.

Zestfest seems like a logical place to meet up. It's not anywhere near plant out time but certainly a great event. I am so broke these days that I have began to wonder if I can get there this year. I spoke to Beth at this years Zfest so she might make it again.

Mike

Cool! Thanks, Mike. I wonder if there's still "room" for a harvest-time festival in Austin, west of Austin (Bee Cave? Dripping Springs?), or Fredericksburg? Wildseed Farms used to have one, but I think it went kaput.

zestfest looks like some good fun. I did not even know about that! Since its in DFW area I can most likely attend.
From looking at their website it seems thats its very chef-centric rather than grow-centric....still I'm interested in going.

I'd love to put together something with taste testing, contests, plenty of raw produce, grow tech, beer, some live music, etc. Seems like it'd be a blast.

well just thought i'd update the thread!! the plants ARE FINALLY GROWING PEPPERS!! AJ, you were right in that I wouldn't see anything during Aug/Sep. I just started seeing peppers about middle - end of last month (damn this tx heat)...

Any updated pics?

I ended up getting 5 habanero from my damaged plant. Three are fully ripe and two more are on the way. The plant is indoors by the window with a single CFL light and its become really healthy. I have recently changed my food to a better flowering mix so hopefully I can get it to start keeping its flowers and start producing again.

This might drop down again, but there is some good stuff in here for Texas people...possibly for noobs who are lurking. Too bad Eephus Man is still in hiding!
A Texas get-together would be pretty cool.

Back