• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Which nutrients / fertilizer / compost do you use?

I have on hand: MiracleGro All Purpose and Bloom, Cal-Mag, Super-thrive, epsom salts, Seastart PGR Liquid Seaweed Extract, Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed Blend, hygrozyme, humic/fulvic acid powder, azomite powder, insect frass, bat guano, molasses, and literally a ton of home-made worm castings.  I am planning on procuring some gypsum, cottonseed meal, dolomite, and 10-10-10 to go into the holes at transplant.  

tctenten said:
Submitted.   Will be pretty cool If you post the results.
at this point see if anyone is actually using the same thing.. lol so many different responses!

one thing i should have added was what country you are in, since people only acquire stuff locally usually.

juanitos said:
at this point see if anyone is actually using the same thing.. lol so many different responses!

one thing i should have added was what country you are in, since people only acquire stuff locally usually.

Even in the US I bet some stuff is only available regionally.   I had a hell of a time finding a Pro-mix distributor in NJ.  

I noticed a few others on the results also used masterblend, but I suppose that there is also the difference in why someone is using the fert. For hydro, containers, gardens...etc?

tctenten said:

Even in the US I bet some stuff is only available regionally.   I had a hell of a time finding a Pro-mix distributor in NJ.  

you can make your own promix quite easily. if you are just using it to raise transplants i wouldnt bother... but if you are container gardening, i highly reccomend making your own.

queequeg152 said:
you can make your own promix quite easily. if you are just using it to raise transplants i wouldnt bother... but if you are container gardening, i highly reccomend making your own.
How?

Student of Spice said:
I noticed a few others on the results also used masterblend, but I suppose that there is also the difference in why someone is using the fert. For hydro, containers, gardens...etc?

i think the masterblend stuff is simply the cheapest. bottled ferts are ass rape. sorry, but its the truth. there are alot of dry formulations that work very well... hydrogardens sells alot of good stuff, GH used to sell floramato... they still sell the 2.2lb packs of flora-grow or what ever its called. 

but mostly i think that youtube gardener guy mhpgardner popularized the masterblend stuff.

i bought bottled fertilizers exactly 1 time. the GH 3 bottle pack thing for like... 20 bucks?  its fucking stupid. i did the math and there is like a dollar worth of fertilizer salts inside these bottles. 

they are just 1:100 concentrates with dyes added. some of the really expensive bottled fertilizers have plant hormones added too? but yea you can buy plant hormones for pennies per gram.

i bought GH phosphoric acid bottles for a while... but when i went to trashcan sized reservoirs i got sick of dumping like 80ml of this stupid orange shiit into the res.

i now use like7ml of cheapo HCl. works fine.

i'll  be doing cost analysis of the ferts from the poll next week when i think most people will have responded by. But yea queequeg is right about the dry ferts being cheaper but you have to do simple math / mix them which some people don't like lol.

juanitos said:
i'll  be doing cost analysis of the ferts from the poll next week when i think most people will have responded by. But yea queequeg is right about the dry ferts being cheaper but you have to do simple math / mix them which some people don't like lol.
well if you want to save the maximum cash... mix your own ferts.  its even cheaper than the dry blended stuff.

you just need a scale. something good down to .1 grams.

the next best alternative is the stuff from hydrogardens.

https://hydro-gardens.com/product-category/fertilizers/chemgro/

imho all their formulations have too much phosphate... but if you dont want to deal with weight out salts and shit thats probably the cheapest way to go far as soilless mediums or hydroponics.

Back