• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Where did all the Mashers go?

Downriver

Extreme Member
Hey folks,

There's several threads here about starting a mash, but they haven't been updated lately. Several of them were started by first-timers. I'm interested in this process and would love to know how they're doing. Are they still fermenting? Did they fail? If they're done, what did you do next? How do they taste?

So come on ya'll, update those threads! :dance:

(EDIT: Thank you Patrick for keeping your thread updated: Your mash looks great!)

There's no comparison between using a fermented mash and cooking peppers in vinegar. The taste difference is night and day. It's like comparing simple smoked ham to properly aged prosciutto.

Fermenting is Fermenting Food. The food in this case is peppers. chile peppers. hot peppers.

I suggest you ferment something low cost like cabbage just for practice.

You can find general information on food fermentation on another forum similar to this one.

http://www.wildferme...ewforum.php?f=5

I am not sure for you but around here cabbage is low priced compared to good hot peppers which are 10 times more expensive per pound.

I prefer vinegar hot sauce for several reasons. I do like the flavor of white distilled vinegar but there are more reasons. I feel it is easy fast low cost and safe.

My opinion is that fermentation is complex, slow, expensive and not safe at all. If you are going to ferment then it only makes sense to learn all you can about it before eating the food. That means reading everything on the internet. I did say Everything! And then you should understand it very well because just about 100% of all I read on the internet is wrong! False info. I find it difficult to filter out the truth from the wrong advice. Slowly but surely.

Fermentation is expensive because you have to throw out bad batches. Cooking in vinegar there should be no bad batches.

And do not believe what you read at wild fermentation. They dont know what they are talking about either.

Back