• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds When is the best time to plant my seeds?

I live in the northern hemisphere (Central Germany) and have a green house, plus this year we have had a mild winter, we don't use all those fancy lights because of the cost of electricity.

These are the seeds I have

• NuMex Pinata
  • El Jefe
  • Serrano Del Sol
  • Habanero
  • Carribean Red
  • and last but not least Bhut Jolokia

What advice can you give me and what is the best way to germinate the seeds, and when should we start planting?

Germinate between sheet of moistened tissue paper in an inflated, sealed freezer bag (zip lock stylee) in the airing cupboard. Check every week until they're sprouted little tails. Make sure the paper does not dry out by squirting it with an atomiser bottle of water when it gets dry (it might not get dry at all).

Expect that stage to take between 2 - 4 weeks, perhaps longer for the caribbean. Pot on when they have tails into a planting tray, and you should be able to plant your seedlings a month or two later, something like that.

Therefore, using those timings, work backwards to figure out when you want to germinate. End of Jan/ Feb, perhaps?

Shooty* said:
Germinate between sheet of moistened tissue paper in an inflated, sealed freezer bag (zip lock stylee) in the airing cupboard. Check every week until they're sprouted little tails. Make sure the paper does not dry out by squirting it with an atomiser bottle of water when it gets dry (it might not get dry at all).

Expect that stage to take between 2 - 4 weeks, perhaps longer for the caribbean. Pot on when they have tails into a planting tray, and you should be able to plant your seedlings a month or two later, something like that.

Therefore, using those timings, work backwards to figure out when you want to germinate. End of Jan/ Feb, perhaps?

What is an "airing cupboard" mate?

Um... in the UK, it's where your boiler is. You put shelves up and put your towels and bedding in there to keep them aired and fresh.

Basically, a cupboard with a hot water boiler in it that's dark and warm.

Honestly, you colonials. :onfire:

Shooty* said:
Um... in the UK, it's where your boiler is. You put shelves up and put your towels and bedding in there to keep them aired and fresh.

Basically, a cupboard with a hot water boiler in it that's dark and warm.

Honestly, you colonials.

Would the basement do where our heater is?

Providing it's dark and warm, should be OK. And by warm, I mean, like, um.... well... warm, y'know? Enclosed spaces may be better than a whole basement, but logically that would only be becuase the heat would perhaps spread better.

Short answer: Yeah, that should do the job.

Shooty* said:
Providing it's dark and warm, should be OK. And by warm, I mean, like, um.... well... warm, y'know? Enclosed spaces may be better than a whole basement, but logically that would only be becuase the heat would perhaps spread better.

Short answer: Yeah, that should do the job.

Warm as in how many degrees in c°?

I take the seeds and soak them in a cup of water for 24 hours. Then place them a finger nail length deep hole in a pot of dirt. Cover the hole and keep the soil moist but not drenched. Store in a warm area and lie in wait.... Beam positive thoughts to the guys occasionally (optional).

imaguitargod said:
I take the seeds and soak them in a cup of water for 24 hours. Then place them a finger nail length deep hole in a pot of dirt. Cover the hole and keep the soil moist but not drenched. Store in a warm area and lie in wait.... Beam positive thoughts to the guys occasionally (optional).

This is how we did our Hab's and Jalapenós last year. With lots of good vibes and my wife talked to them like she was a new momma.

Back