• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting When are my Plants ready for Harvest?

This is my first year growing peppers and would like some input from my fellow growers. When will I know when to harvest my peppers and what is the average size for Jalapeno and Bell Peppers? I've posted some pics as well. Thanks

20150519_173246.jpg

20150519_173239.jpg
'
20150519_173215.jpg
20150519_173209.jpg

The pods look a bit small, but you can harvest both now if you like.  Hard to say how much bigger they might get - lots of factors influence fruit size.  You will not hurt the plants by harvesting now, and they will continue to fruit.  

pick what you can use as you can use it. That will stimulate more production and you can always let them go later, to get your red bells and Jalapenos. I have seen bells in the Mexican markets as big as your noggin.

I like to pick my jalapeno's and serrano's when they start to get the little brown lines(grow lines) in them. I also let some of them turn red.

I like to wait for the first two to ripen yellow/orange/red. The first one is usually stunted, but the second one will give you an idea of when they are full sized for your environment. Then you can pick them green if you like them that way.

Awesome, thank y'all so much for the feedback. I am new to this forum and everyone thus far has been very helpful and friendly. Thanks again! 

Back