what wood do you use????

I am taking advantage of my new friends at a local laser cutting shop that can cut steel up to 1 inch to make me some parts for a big smoker but I am wondering what wood I can use and where I can get it??

I only have popalar, birch, willow, elm and some maple around here so if I build a smoker what I am going to use..

Hmmm... can't say I've ever knowingly smoked with any of those woods. Most smoking pros will tell you that hickory is the way to go. Personally, I prefer mesquite and pecan. Just about any fruit tree works out very well (apple, cherry, etc.), but they are typically hard to find and/or expensive. The main thing you want to do is be sure to stay away from any of the bitter/strong woods like pine and pinion... smells great, but from what I hear, and logic would say as much, the meat will taste like crap.

Once I got Smokenstein up and running, I found that I was going to need a ton of wood to keep it running. I bought a half rick of pecan, and a full rick of "firewood"... which was basically a mix of whatever they had, probably mostly oak and hickory and God knows what else. I've found that oak works fine, so if you can't find hickory, pecan, or the other woods mentioned above, that should do.

Most importantly, make sure you are using well-seasoned wood. Nothing makes your meat taste more bitter than using green wood.

Depending on how your smoker is set up, and how big it is, you should be able to find your basic smoking woods (Mesquite, Hickory, and Pecan) in chunks at your local Wal-mart or other grocery stores... but it sounds like you'll have too big of a smoker for that. If not though, you can always mix some of these in with charcoal to save on the amount of wood you will need. Mine burns like a fireplace, so coal is out of the question or I'd go through an entire 10 lb. bag easy in one smoking... but in my smaller smoker, I would mix coal with wood.

Hope this helps. Good luck with getting the smoker built. And can't wait to see it! I love seeing custom made smokers.

I live in a forest and have a large smoker so I use mostly what I can get for free including: maple, apple, cherry, some hickory, and pear. My favorite for sausage and jerky as well as peppers is a mix of hickory and cherry, but for hot smoking I sometimes like to add a little mesquite which I have to buy in chunks or chips.
I also just found a furniture maker that has to pay to dispose of his maple and oak woodchips so I plan on helping the fellow out and saving him some money;)

POTAWIE said:
I also just found a furniture maker that has to pay to dispose of his maple and oak woodchips so I plan on helping the fellow out and saving him some money;)

Be careful, a furniture maker may have treated wood.

I don't know if I have ever heard of anyone smoking with any of those woods. Maybe birch, but most bbq places use hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry, oak, or pecan.

I think hickory or mesquite if you want a good smoke flavor, apple for a lighter smoke flavor.

Good question. For beef and pork I like mesquite and hickory, sometimes cherry. If I can get it, and smoking something super low and slow I will mix in some oak. I have also soaked birch in water and added that to other woods for low and slow. For fish I like apple and alder but if I am going heavy on the smoke for the fish I will also use mesquite.

Cheers, TB.

That's a good point TB it really does depend on what you are smoking. I have used everything from hickory and mesquite for ribs and chicken, to apple and pecan for fish. Even some chips from old wine barrels for steak, and a really cool find was some old tabasco barrels cut into chips. Experiment Shayne. I have a couple of good books for bbqing and smoking you might want to check out. Steven Raichlen has several, my favorite is his BBQ across the USA and the other is a Charcoal Griller's book by Weber.

Sometimes mesquite is a little too much, if you like rubs and sauces you should go with hickory or a milder wood.

I usually control the amount of smoke flavor, by how much of the wood I use. I always start with charcoal and add wood chips or chunks, either soaked in water or not depending on how much smoke I want, and how long I want it to last. For ribs I like hickory, for chicken thighs I like mesquite, but you are right THP they are strong so you don't want to use too much wood.

shayneyasinski said:
local guy here says red willow is the way to go.

charcoal for longer cooking with this willow mixed in.

what you think??

I've heard of some people that use willow for smoking fish but it doesn't appear to be a very popular smoking wood.
I use a lot of maple which is quite mild but also add stronger woods depending on what I'm smoking

thehotpepper.com said:
Sometimes mesquite is a little too much, if you like rubs and sauces you should go with hickory or a milder wood.

I'm the opposite. I find hickory to be stronger and more bitter than mesquite. I guess a lot of it just depends on the flavor you like.

Mesquite is my favorite, but it's harder to find in these parts. I have a friend who's dad owns land in South-western Oklahoma. We cut down about 20 acres of mesquite this summer, and will be going back this spring to cut a couple truckloads up and replenish my stock. Until then, I'm using mostly pecan... I find it to be a little milder than hickory, and it's really easy to find in these parts.

I use mesquite quite sparingly myself. I like the flavor but as THP said, it can be a bit much especially when cold smoking and it burns very hot and fast. Great though for grilling or quick smoking

Damn I love smoking ribs and chicken. Too bad it's freezing and raining/snowing here or I'd be out there tomorrow. You guys are making me hungry.

Apple and Hickory for Pork.Last weekend I smoked a butt,with hickory,but I had just shelled a couple pounds of pecans,so I soaked the hulls and added them for a nice flavor.Mesquite for sausage and brisket.Lately for chicken I'm using allspice seeds,and leaves when I jerk-smoke.Awsome flavor!

Back