• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

What unusual vegetables are you growing ?

@SpicyBob that sounds like a cool list!

This year I want to try growing purple sweet potatoes. Not the Murasaki which have purple skin and white flesh, but the ones with purple flesh like the Okinawan or Stokes. I have some Stokes and Okinawan sweet potatoes put aside and am going to try to make slips from them come April. Apparently the Okinawans have a very long growing season (>120 days). Hopefully they'll be successful in zone 7a.

I'm also giving fig trees a try this year. Some friends and acquaintances gave me some cuttings from their trees and I gave it a shot-now I have a dozen fig trees. We'll see if that becomes my next addiction!

Not necessarily unusual but a little different: last year I grew Yamato Silver watermelon-green rind and white flesh, I highly recommend that one!

I'm rather partial to perennials............

I grow

Good king Henry
Lovage
Scots Lovage
Scoronera (for leaves)
Sorrel
Hablitzia tamnoides
Taunton dean perennial kale
Sutherland kale ( not perennial) but self seeds like a demon

Victoria Rhubarb which was almost a religion to my Grand mother.

Probably a few others I've forgotten 🤣

I'm rather partial to perennials............

I grow

Good king Henry
Lovage
Scots Lovage
Scoronera (for leaves)
Sorrel
Hablitzia tamnoides
Taunton dean perennial kale
Sutherland kale ( not perennial) but self seeds like a demon

Victoria Rhubarb which was almost a religion to my Grand mother.

Probably a few others I've forgotten 🤣

I've never heard of many of these and am fascinated reading each of their descriptions! We considered growing rhubarb this year and are looking into it. We love strawberry-rhubarb crisp and pies.

The main "odd" thing i grow every year is laksa leaf for my curries. Works well if you are out of coriander and the plant never bolts on me. Plus its super easy to clone at the end of each growing season.

One of these days i will get some culantro to grow but from what i hear it can be a pain to germinate and might be a total PITA to over winter.

Last edited:
NJChilihead

Google perennial vegetables 😎 alot less work very deep rooted I never have to water them also many will grow in the shade where annual veggies simply fail to grow.

Good king Henry will grow anywhere ! I have a GKH hedge along a very shady Scottish fence line in my garden, no traditional vegetables could survive there ! Probably why the Roman army took it with them everywhere :thumbsup:

Stephen

Back