overwintering What to do for Overwinter :) Plus some nice pods.

I planted a few sort of a tester of my new lights and they are growing too well. In solo cups now and all 20 cups i have had sprouted and held strong. only lost one fatali and had bad germ rates on that one.

Heres my plants atm.

20130830_204250_zpsb0e6a48a.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag19/kericson2/20130830_204240_zpsb4b2d42e.jpg

Btw the question isnt about overwintering itself. rather if i will be able to do so without tons of lighting etc. Overall comments welcome :)

Bonus picture of Pods of Gold collection from pepperlover. SO many.
20130829_144939_zpsf9837674.jpg

At this point it is a waste of time, effort, and money.

I don't mean to seem negative but those are so small that to care for them, provide lighting and pay the electrical bill isn't going to yield a good return.

IF on the other hand this is hobby/free/why-care time, then we all indulge in something of that nature.

You do not need a lot of lighting for overwintering.  If you can accept the plants going dormant (losing their leaves) then all you need is to keep them above freezing and keep the soil moist.

If instead you want them to keep their leaves then you have to keep temps above roughly 60F, (depends on particular plant) and give them enough light.  Do you have enough?  There is no way to know by only contrasting a level you didn't mention, versus "tons".  ;)

Maybe a better approach would be for me to ask what your expectations are and your plans for next spring.  Generally speaking, keeping a young and small plant active instead of dormant over winter has very little reward vs time and expense invested, BUT if you are bored and/or have the lights and don't mind the electricity bill then you'll have a couple month's worth of head start next season.

Yeah I have a short growing season so I wanna o.w many as possible. This was jus to get my new lights warmed up test the enviroment. Might as well overwinter some. Ill start the real set of plants in january or feburary

Without light, pots, and care, such a long overwinter of small plants will be a battle.
If this is just a test grow, and you are planning a big start in Jan or Feb, why not try a bonchi grow?
(Bonsai Chile)
Or even a grow of seriously manicured mini-chiles.

Such a long lead time before plantout for "regular" chiles will require at least a couple of pot up's, loads of light, and intense monitoring and adjustments.

You also run the risk of having plants with a "confused" growing cycle.

Best of luck on whatever you try, anything is possible---depending on the amount of time and effort you are willing to invest.

Back