• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What size pots do you all use to grow your peppers outside.

I was thinking about just growing my peppers in containers instead of in the ground. What is a good size to use?

I use the traditional 5 gallon gardening pot (which isn't 5 gallons, unlike a 5 gallon paint bucket which is actually 5 gallons). It's 12" deep and 11.5" across. That seems to be an appropriate sized pot for most peppers. However, 7 gallon pots work better with plants that grow larger than the average pepper, such as Aji's, tomatoes, etc. Perhaps those with the space and the extra soil would get better results from 7 gallon pots for all peppers, but the 5 gallon ones seem to get the job done. I don't think you can go a lot less than 12" without sacrificing pod production.

I use all sorts of pot sizes, anywhere from 2 gallon to 25+ gallon as needed
Theres no need to pot up to a huge pot right away, potting up as needed seems to work best for me

Like mega said, I use different sizes myself. If its one that I KNOW will get big, I use 5 gallon buckets. (Usually 99% of my plants.) If I want to grow something like a Black Pearl or White hab, I just use a 3 gallon bucket. I have had plants get to 6' in 5 gallon buckets.

im planning on puting out a few plants in those canvas walmart reusable shopping bags. a few bucks each, and i can haul them around with the handles.

i think they are close to 5gal.

walmartreusablesisg_3.jpg

Most of mine go into 5 gallons, but some go to 7's and some 10 or 15. All depends on the plant like Potawie ans others have said.

that's different. i use at least 5 gallon but had great results with 10 to 12 gallons on 7pods. they like a lot of root space. with orange habs or jalapenos you can get away with 3.5 gallons but generally, the bigger the better. containers and soil gets expensive but i was able to take 20 plants in the house for overwintering. that's 20 plants i won't have to baby this season.

I have no problem finding 5 gallon buckets and they are cheap. Where do you people get 7, 10 and 12 gallon buckets from?

I have no problem finding 5 gallon buckets and they are cheap. Where do you people get 7, 10 and 12 gallon buckets from?

I get mine at Home Depot. The 5 gallon is their 11.5" (wide) x 12" (deep) round plastic pot. The 7 gallon is their square 14" (wide) plastic pot. They also sell a 10 gallon, but I've never used one.

with the number of plants I grow, I have to be very aware of pot size...larger the pots, more soil required so that costs a bunch for good soil and dangit if it isn't going up again this year...

99% of the plants I grow are in heavy duty 5 gallon nursery containers...the kind little trees come in...I have found these work well in for my grow season...all of the plants, chinense and annuums alike are likely to be very rootbound in late November...but that is cool because that is when I harvest anyway...

This year I will be growing 18 Trinidad Scorpion Plants that were overwintered...all of these will eventually see 10 gallon "smart pots"...

with the number of plants I grow, I have to be very aware of pot size...larger the pots, more soil required so that costs a bunch for good soil and dangit if it isn't going up again this year...

99% of the plants I grow are in heavy duty 5 gallon nursery containers...the kind little trees come in...I have found these work well in for my grow season...all of the plants, chinense and annuums alike are likely to be very rootbound in late November...but that is cool because that is when I harvest anyway...

This year I will be growing 18 Trinidad Scorpion Plants that were overwintered...all of these will eventually see 10 gallon "smart pots"...

Do you have to buy all the pots or do you have some given to you?

Back