• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid What Pepper Cross do you wish existed?

It's tough to decide because I want to see so many. Two I'm very interested in atm are Carolina Reaper x Orchid and a very large extra hot jalapeno x bhut jolokia. I wouldn't mind that cross tasting like a jalapeno, a bhut or both!

Nightshade said:
Fish x pimenta de neyde x bhut jolokia might create that?

This is what I want to see!

Dismember said:
Perfect cross to me:

- size of a bell pepper
- thickness of a bell pepper
- taste of a scotch bonnet
- heat of a 7 pot

I think we could make this with a yellow bell x yellow 7 pot.

AmericanHwyFlower said:
I would love a lemon drop with some sort of smokey cross!!!

Smileyguy has a lemon drop x tepin cross. I think people describe tepins as smokey. I don't taste smokey when people describe that flavor unless it's a chipotle, lol.

Edit: There was some concern about calling a cross stable too soon. I love crossing and will never do this. I think it should be grown for at least 6 generations and produce the same pods at least twice.

Monsterhook87 said:
Not sure if it's possible, but any cross involving a C. Frutescens that ripened anything but red. A white or chocolate tabasco would be amazing!
Like this? It`s a wild frutescens that ripens to a peach color

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43904-closed-cgn22184-non-isolated-seed/
It is truly peach, as well. I have a review on the way.
There is also this one. How the one above relates to this is unknown at the moment.

Grown and photographed by cmpman1974. Hope it`s Ok to post this Chris.

Hm, I suppose so.  I forgot those were frutescens. Ironically, I responded to that thread to receive some seeds for that type. Never did receive them. I would absolutely love to grow them if I could find some seed for them.

Monsterhook87 said:
Hm, I suppose so.  I forgot those were frutescens. Ironically, I responded to that thread to receive some seeds for that type. Never did receive them. I would absolutely love to grow them if I could find some seed for them.
With all the holidays, I`m sure it`s just the USPS being slow. If you don`t receive any soon, PM me.

Nigel said:
Like this? It`s a wild frutescens that ripens to a peach color

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43904-closed-cgn22184-non-isolated-seed/
It is truly peach, as well. I have a review on the way.
There is also this one. How the one above relates to this is unknown at the moment.

Grown and photographed by cmpman1974. Hope it`s Ok to post this Chris.

Nice! I bet we could easily cross the baccatum blondie with a frutescens to get white. The peach color would probably be ideal to cross with. I'm guessing it's not as dominate as red and maybe yellow (not sure). Chocolate should be easy to get. Maybe it would improve the flavor of tobasco, hehe. I haven't seen any brown baccatums but chinese could work.

Its good to see that Joe C. in Calif. still has his site Rocoto.com up and running I grew his Rocopica back in 2000.
As the C. cardenasii and C.eximium will out cross with a baccatum I'm surprised that no one has used them or the rocopica to out cross with a baccatum then back crossed to a C.cardenasii and then to a C. pubscens to get a hybrid rocoto.

Dulac said:
Nice! I bet we could easily cross the baccatum blondie with a frutescens to get white. The peach color would probably be ideal to cross with. I'm guessing it's not as dominate as red and maybe yellow (not sure). Chocolate should be easy to get. Maybe it would improve the flavor of tobasco, hehe. I haven't seen any brown baccatums but chinese could work.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, Ryan. 
wildseed57 said:
Its good to see that Joe C. in Calif. still has his site Rocoto.com up and running I grew his Rocopica back in 2000.
As the C. cardenasii and C.eximium will out cross with a baccatum I'm surprised that no one has used them or the rocopica to out cross with a baccatum then back crossed to a C.cardenasii and then to a C. pubscens to get a hybrid rocoto.
Maybe someone has plans to try that??????????????????

Hi Nigel, It would be interesting if some one did try and do a crossing project like that, maybe with the right set of gene mixing they could come up with a rocoto that would grow and produce pods during the hot summer months when they normally shut down and not produce anything till it gets cool again they could cut the amount of time it would take if they grew the plants in a green house or in a state where it doesn't freeze. My days of trying to do crosses of any type is pretty much over, some one younger with a little free time could do it. I really like the Rocoto's flavor but hate getting a bunch of green pods and just a few ripe pods at the end of my growing season. Also it might allow it to be crossed again with maybe a C. chinense or back to a C. baccatum a Aji pineapple X Rocoto might be quite tasty. or maybe a rocoto X 7 pod once the Rocoto's gene's had been mixed right. Nigel didn't you say there was some other wild rare species that grew near where the Rocoto grows? Maybe one of them might also be used to out cross with?

Reaper x orange moruga, Reaper x brown moruga. Roatan pumpkin habanero x giant white habanero. Jay's peach ghost scorpion x chocolate scotch bonnet/roatan pumpkin habanero.

:stop:Hands off, these are MINE. :stop:

Cross a superhot with a bell pepper and breed out the bell shaped and superhot mix, or superhot shaped and not hot mix.

Jalapeno x birds eye

(Tiny pepper) x superhot and get a compact explosion.

Make a jalapeño that ripens yellow.

A manzano  with a cayenne.

sweet, juicy, thick walled, long, fat pods with some respectable heat to boot. Mmmmm

Back