• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite Cayenne?

Hmm, no one likes cayennes? I am growing the golden cayenne, but I have yet to try it as its only now starting to show a couple of flowers. I can't wait to make some yellow cayenne powder.

I haven't grown but one type of cayenne...and that turned me off.   Too papery texture to enjoy raw.  Maybe I had a crappo variety.  I'm all ears for one that tastes fantastic.   I mean with some flavor.  Til now, I've only used them for drying.

I'm waiting on someone to tell me the best type they have tasted with a short description of flavor profile.
This will be the only way I ever grow cayenne again.   :neutral:  

Streamer said:
I haven't grown but one type of cayenne...and that turned me off.   Too papery texture to enjoy raw.  Maybe I had a crappo variety.  I'm all ears for one that tastes fantastic.   I mean with some flavor.  Til now, I've only used them for drying.

I'm waiting on someone to tell me the best type they have tasted with a short description of flavor profile.
This will be the only way I ever grow cayenne again.   :neutral:  

Got to agree with you, one of the worst peppers to eat whole. great for powders though.

I have the yellow variety as well, but never can bring myself to plant it

I'm curious about the cayenne's too. We cook with a lot of dried cayennes and I've grown them in the past, but they never really had any heat. I had originally given up on them given that they are cheap and readily had at the grocery store. Not sure about the variety I have growing right now. I believe the packaged just says long slim cayenne.

Neil

I haven't grown or tasted many cayenne varieties. This year I am growing 'Yellow Cayenne'. It's both hotter and thicker walled than the ones I had previously grown. Definitely gets my vote so far. It was also my first plant to sport a ripe pod. Even beat the Fresno.

I'm growing some yellows.  But I thought cayennes were supposed to be around 30-40,000 shu which is nothing to sneeze at for most people.

Interesting responses. I will look at the Indonesian cayenne. I realize that the cayenne is not the hottest pepper, so I am more curious about flavor, and which ones taste the best. Of course I would love some with good heat as well. I am curious about some of the different colors like purple, orange and black.
I am glad to hear someone else has tried the golden cayenne, and likes it.

I'm growing a cayenne I got from a dollar-tree, well seeds.. It is easily the most vigorous growing plant I have this year. It also tried to branch into 3 main branches but 2 kind of fused together most of the way.

Ive only eaten 2 off of it, neither of them alone always cooked, so hard to say on the taste..

I don't care how they taste.

9Rhqhc1l.jpg

I'll grow these next year because they look so badass.

PS: that spelling may be off a letter or two and 2/24/14 should be 6/24/14

JJJessee said:
I don't care how they taste.

9Rhqhc1l.jpg

I'll grow these next year because they look so badass.

PS: that spelling may be off a letter or two and 2/24/14 should be 6/24/14
Yeah, they do look pretty bad ass, and prolific. Have you tasted them yet?

Swartmamba said:

Yeah south african or zimbabwe peri-peri (pili-pili)
Okay, I will have to look into this cultivar. I have found that one of the most painful peppers I have eaten was some form of bird's eye chili. While the Bhut jolokia was more hot up front, I found this unknown birds eye chili to cause the most amount of pain. The Bhut's pain was finished in shortly less than ten minutes, while this unknown birds eye kept my mouth on fire for almost a hour.

But I thought cayennes were supposed to be around 30-40,000 shu which is nothing to sneeze at for most people.

For most definitely. My tolerance is a bit higher so peppers in that range don't register too much heat. I snack on the orange habs straight off the vine while I tend my peppers ^_^ Most people I know eating a jalapeño whole would be a limit..

That said the yellow cayenne I had a few weeks ago was about on par with the habs…. or maybe just the way it reacts with me specifically. Ether way, it was hotter than other cayennes I had.

this is my cayenne plant (pic is a few weeks old)..it looks a bit rough..its the middle of winter and has had aphids and stuff for months..i just leave it alone now, but its very prolific and cold hardy.
Dont know the variety, i got it from a nursery when it was small and it was just labeled "hot cayenne", i think about as hot as my habs? 

20140607_0959321_zps96f7cc81.jpg

There's a variety called Cheongnyang that is quite popular in Korea (although it's actually thought to be an annum-frutescens hybrid).
It's intended to be consumed green when it reaches full size but before it starts ripening, so you get a crisp, fresh taste in your mouth but still with a decent amount of heat (here, decent meaning more than a typical ripe cayenne).
No pics as I don't have any specimens on me, sorry.

I had a regular cayenne that was worthless last year (5 pods, bitter taste). This year I have a Ring of Fire that I grew from seed that is podding up nicely...will let you know how it tastes once ripe.
Jerry

Back