• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

health What is wrong?

What do I have going on here?

I planted all my ghost peppers at the same time with the same mix and everything. Now I have 3 plants that look like this

20130330_191719_zpsd5bcee27.jpg

20130330_191732_zpscd57e1af.jpg

20130330_191804_zps0dc8c7a9.jpg

They are thin and stunted with brown spots on the edges of the leaves. most of the leaves on the bottom have dropped off. Is this something to be concerned about spreading? How can I fix it?

Here is a shot of another pepper that I already trimmed using the Praxxus method. The main leaf is as big as my hand

20130329_185404_zps6f287cf7.jpg

I am a member of another board, but it seems like I am in a different area when it comes to peppers. That forum is more about the whole garden. But I plan on getting involved in this forum. It seems (In my search for an answer before I posted) that I will fit in well here!!

That has been suggested to me before, but I have not done anything different to these from others. I started with 5 gal of coir 2 handfuls of worm castings and 1 bag of miracle grow potting soil. Other than that just water, and bottom water at that. Again the same thing as all the other plants that have flourished

Megahot is right on.

That has been suggested to me before, but I have not done anything different to these from others. I started with 5 gal of coir 2 handfuls of worm castings and 1 bag of miracle grow potting soil. Other than that just water, and bottom water at that. Again the same thing as all the other plants that have flourished

The Miracle Grow potting soil doeshave nutes in it, I guess it is possible that there was a concentrated portion that the roots hit? I am not sure.

Some plants can be more picky or particular then others to certain things. Just make sure you dont feed it anything for awhile, not even worm castings. Keep a close eye on it and if the leaves dont look better after awhile you may want to repot it into a soil that contains NO nutes. Miracle Grow contains nutes that feed up to 60-90 days, atleast most do. Other things you can do is to carefully flush the roots with water and repot, or just cut the plant back. But keep an eye on it, as I said. These are all last resort options if your plant doesnt recover soon

I LOVE hearing that it could possibly not be a bacteria problem!!!! I am going to up pot, add some non MG soil to the top, and put it out in the greenhouse to see what happens to it!!

That was Ray's suggestion too

I LOVE hearing that it could possibly not be a bacteria problem!!!! I am going to up pot, add some non MG soil to the top, and put it out in the greenhouse to see what happens to it!!

That was Ray's suggestion too

The plant that I had was fert burn worse then yours even. I clipped it back and potted it up without feeding it for about a month and the plant bounced back with lots of new perfect growth and was even bushier then my other plant after awhile

Yeah looks like nute-burn, over-watering, or a possible bacterial infection. Probably one of the former. Although, I have to say that the miracle grow potting mix does seem to foster bacteria in my experience. I think its the wood-chips they put in there that does that.

The brilliant yellow of this one......

.... screams of overwatering. I've never seen fert burn turn leaves that lovely shade of yellow, but I have certainly seen it with overwatering. And yes, overwatering will cause the leaves to get brown on the edges and fall off. Back off on your watering, and make sure to let the leaves droop a tad between waterings - this is the "language" of the plant, telling you that now it's ready for another drink.

With fert burn, the leaves often first "pucker" a bit. I don't see any evidence of that with your healthy plants, and I don't see much of it on the plants that are struggling. Still, your plants are young enough not to need much, and as noted above, the miracle gro potting soil already has some nutes in it. So I'll suggest you do both - back of the ferts, back of the watering, and see what happens. Note that the leaves that have yellowed will not return to green, but new growth should start coming in green.

So in the time that I have been trying to figure out how to fix this, it has healed itself. I forgot to take a picture last night, but it has turned back to a dark green and has new growth all over it. I don't know what happened, but it is better!!!

So in the time that I have been trying to figure out how to fix this, it has healed itself. I forgot to take a picture last night, but it has turned back to a dark green and has new growth all over it. I don't know what happened, but it is better!!!

Time is often the best remedy. We overcare our plants very frequently. Peppers are usually a very hardy plant.

Back