• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container what is the best way to transplant established chile peppers?

I have two Bhut Jolokia plants from last season that are still in the old dirt and way to give them new life. Should i just pull they out of the container and try to keep some dirt around the ball of the plants and just replant with new dirt-- what's the best idea here?

I like to trim the root ball back when I transplant from old dirt to new dirt. Most times you only need to remove about 1/4 of the total root ball to get them really going again. Use a sharp knife and trim all edges and bottom.

And yes, it just feels wrong.

I have heard trim the root ball to the same size as the part above ground....then transplant into new soil and a bigger container...

and agree it feels wrong...sometimes think I can hear the plant cryin...

thanks for the feedback--- i will do this as soon as it warms up here a bit -- both plants are pretty dormant so i want them to start growing back some leaves a little bit before upsetting them.

I never trim the roots, in fact I try to disturb the roots as little as possible. Wait until the roots are well established in its current pot and then they should slide out easily when turned upside down. Once the plant is free, bury it a little deeper into a bigger pot with a light well drained soil and water it completely for its first watering then let it dry out between waterings and bottom water

This is what i do as well Potawie however what about the dirt in between the mess of roots? Could it too benefit from new soil?

Back