• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is a species

I always thought what made different species was that the crosses could not reproduce. From reading about cross breeding in peppers I am beginning to think my definition is wrong. I am pretty sure different species can be crossed with fertile offspring.

One more question for different wild plants I see PI24561843 or similar. Where does that come from?

Some species will cross and others won't. There is a lot of history and science in defining what is included within a species and even modern scientists don't always agree.

As for the PI......
United States Department of Agriculture Research Service
"Observation data is recorded upon arrival of the seed at the facility and a USDA Plant Introduction number (PI ######) is then assigned. Observation data is extensive and includes everything from the size and shape of the plant and pods, to the calyx shape and fruit set. The information and any subsequent evaluation data are entered into the Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN)."
http://www.thechilem...de_research.php

Plants hybridize much more easily than animals and are far more likely to produce fertile offspring. There are tons of common fruiting plants that are interspecific hybrids. Grapefruit (orange x pomelo), limequat (lime x kumquat), loganberry (raspberry x blackberry), tangelo (mandarin x pomelo), Meyer lemon (mandarin x lemon), pluots and plumcots (plum x apricot), Asian/European pears, jostaberry (currant x gooseberry), Ugli (grapefruit x tangerine), Cherrums (plum x cherry), marionberry and boysenberry are crosses from many different species of caneberries. Most if not all of these are fertile.

So... if I have cayenne and habanero growing in the same plant bed, is there a chance that they could cross? I had the same misconception that the OP had.

Back