• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer What fertilizer to use?

I was using Peruvian sea bird guano last year, but decided to start my transplant with good old worm castings 1-0-0. I'll move up to Fish & Poop 9-6-2 in a couple of weeks. My garden thrived on that fert, and compost tea, from two years ago. But inside the house, that will be the king's feast.

SvtCobra said:
  Damn. Some of you use some high numbered ferts. I feed my plants like they are Marijuana but at around half strength. Peppers,Tomato's and Pot have just about the same light and feeding requirements. Marijuana can be fed more which is why I use half strength. I start with a grow 2-4-6 and then move on to a 5-6-6. In flower I use a bloom 2-8-4 and a bloom booster with micro nutrients. I also feed cal-mag 2-0-1. Using miracle grow is just asking for fert burn, and its filled with nitrates. Some of the stuff I use has nitrates as well but in low numbers. Most of my ferts get their N-P-K from natural plant sources. And I only feed every 3rd or 4th watering so that equates out to about once a month or less.

Not saying any of these guys are doing it for this reason, but a lot of people see that 20-20-20 and think it's way better than a fert with vastly smaller numbers. There are videos out there that talk about this exact subject. A plant can only take in so much nutrients. It reminds me of the 1000 lb sow being shocked into moving... it's not natural. Soil is the catalyst of life, not just the bowl for the daily gruel. Feed the soil, and your soil will feed your plants.

Back