• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer what fertilizer now

I have one jalapeno plant that has already producing a pepper, two habs that are just starting to produce peppers and two bhuts that just started budding and will hopefully soon flower. Just transplanted them all to 5 gallon pots. I've been using epsom spray every two weeks, a tablespoon of bone meal each every other week and watering with miracle gro 18 18 21. Should I now switch to 6 10 10 fert every two weeks to encourage pepper growth?

If I were you I would give the plants some space and spray them once every 2 weeks if you feel the need with Epsom and seaweed/kelp. Not sure what is in the soil or if you have any humus type products in the container hence why I suggested the Epsom and seaweed just to keep them ticking ..... But lay off the ferts/ especially the high N miracle gro... Like I said give them some space

Sounds like they're already loaded up with nutes to me.  Peppers don't need much.  Leave them alone for a month and see what you've got.  After that maybe just hit them once a month with a diluted mix of that MG you already have.  Sunshine & water - that's 90% of it IMO.

Getting rid of the ferts. thanks. I'm also getting what looks like Calcium deficiency on a hab and the beginning of a Calcium deficiency on a bhut (curled new growth). I started adding egg shell powder to those two plants. I can't find cal mag anywhere. Will the bone meal also help this?

Could be aphids or bugs.   Check really closely first.   If there isn't any bugs then maybe its a Cal def.

I doubt you will have a calcium deficiency in the soil immediately after all of those nutes you have been adding. More likely if it is a plant calcium deficiency it has been caused by inconsistent watering or pH lockout.
Bone meal has calcium.

And as Jamison said check for Mite infestation/insect damage (aphids , thrips and White-fly mainly) ...
That is another likely culprit

Agreed with Trippa, water the soil deeply and consistently. But the catch is to allow it to dry between waterings, test by poking your finger about 4 inches into the soil. It's sort of a technique but you'll get used to it.

Seaweed / Kelp / rock dust can be applied any time, follow the directions on the package. Wait a while till you apply more actual NPK fertilizer though.

Most new chile growers want to treat chiles like they do tomatos and fertilize like crazy for a bigger crop.

Chiles are a realtively unengineered crop not yet engineered by Monsanto and can't use a lot of N P or K.....they are definitely not tomatos.

I grow successfully in hydro using low and equal ratio of NPK from seedling to fruit with great success.

You would be shocked to see how little extra fertilizer is used on chiles where they are grown in Méjico and they grow like gangbusters.

Stop worrying about which fertilizer to use when and read a book instead.

Back