• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

We are the top 5%!!!

"The results of the survey indicate that 40% prefer hot and spicy, 30% very hot and spicy
and 25% prefer mild with only 5% of the sample prefer their hot pepper sauce to be
extremely hot." (pulled from link)

I found this while searching for a hot pepper association in the U.S. Very interesting read but it is quite long. I skimmed through most but found a lot of interesting facts. Give it a looksie.

http://www.carib-export.com/SiteAssets/Final%20Document%20-HP.pdf

And someone's :drunk: 5% is the bottom.

I don't have the time to read through that report and find the errors in it, but I will assume they didn't ask a large enough portion of people to make the survey worth taking seriously.

I know it's a bit dated. Just interesting. There was a part in there about Texas A&M trying to cultivate a sweet jalapeno. As well as an association committed to purifying the red savina strain I believe. A lot of boring chit but a few good things as well. Love it or hate it, it's part of THP now....muahahahahahahaaaaa

There was a part in there about Texas A&M trying to cultivate a sweet jalapeno.

yup...and it has been on the market several years now...it is the TAM Jalapeno or Jalapeno TAM....TAM of course stands for Texas A & M

I would think this number would be pretty close. I know it will vary regionally, but think about yourself and your circle of friends/family. Are there more than five per hundred that like the same stuff you do? Maybe maybe not. I can say that I know five people that do. But... I know a lot more than 100 people. So I would guess that it's probably even lower than five %. Of course what is considered extremely hot is subjective as well. Is it a habanero sauce? Or raw bhuts?

yup...and it has been on the market several years now...it is the TAM Jalapeno or Jalapeno TAM....TAM of course stands for Texas A & M

Hmmmph! Only a bunch of aggies would think to take the heat out of jalapeno. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Who knew that the Jalapeno TAM would do so much to explode the popularity of the popper? Prior to that, few had ever eaten a popper. Now they're everywhere!

Well statically speaking, 50% of my immediate family eats habaneros or hotter, 25% likes them but does not eat them often, and 25% cannot eat spicy food.

I'm just cautious when it comes to trusting any percentages thrown at me regardless of their source.

I do assume that the number of those that eat peppers that are habaneros or hotter is slim since I do not know many people outside of my family that eats them. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy, or assumes I do not know what a habanero is, when I say the orange ones really are not that hot.

And the dam TAM is why I can't find hot Jala Poppers at 2 local bars. Well I guess the paying public may be more to blame....

And being part of said 5% might be why I should look into the advise I have been given to calm my sauces down for more sales.

I have one friend I eat super hot with. Everyone else is lame by comparison. But compared to you guys on this board, I am in the bottom of the board, but that still puts me in the top 5% of the US and western populations. Funny thing is I have 2 friends who cannot do tobasco.

Hmmmph! Only a bunch of aggies would think to take the heat out of jalapeno. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Who knew that the Jalapeno TAM would do so much to explode the popularity of the popper? Prior to that, few had ever eaten a popper. Now they're everywhere!
Gig 'em!!! :-)

I would think this number would be pretty close. I know it will vary regionally, but think about yourself and your circle of friends/family. Are there more than five per hundred that like the same stuff you do? Maybe maybe not. I can say that I know five people that do. But... I know a lot more than 100 people. So I would guess that it's probably even lower than five %. Of course what is considered extremely hot is subjective as well. Is it a habanero sauce? Or raw bhuts?

Totally agree with you. The first thing I thought when I read the post was how hot is extra hot? Asking for fire sauce at Taco Bell doesn't count in my book as "extra spicy", but I would hazard a guess that is probably what most people consider living on the edge. We have the annual Nugget Rib Cookoof here in town, and those guys all have "nuclear" sauces. I have yet to have had one that even comes close to a fresh orange hab.

I would say it's less than 5% that have ever eaten a fresh habanero by itself, and WAY less that have ever eaten a bhut, or a Trinidad of any kind.

I know I get goofy eyes wondering if I know what the hell I'm doing when I buy my weekly pound of habs at the local grocery stores. Pretty funny actually :D

I used to get those looks at the store too, and "do you realize how hot they?" After about the third time I heard it, I just took one out and ate it in the checkout.

I used to get those looks at the store too, and "do you realize how hot they?" After about the third time I heard it, I just took one out and ate it in the checkout.

I'd like to have seen the look on the checkout girl's face after that.

I went into a local fresh market last week and was looking at their habaneros. This mexican guy was fixing the jalapenos. The habs looked different than others; they looked tasty. I asked the guy if it would be a problem if I tried one. He hesitated and said sure. I picked one up and bit half of it off, examining it. I kept looking through the habs and chewing. The guy has been glancing back and forth at me while he stacks the japs. He's like "Isn't that hot" I said "No, not really" as I popped the other half. I kept on with my business and he just kept giving me weird looks and staring. Im assuming waiting for an OH SHIT moment.....lol It was priceless.

Back