• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Ways to keep plants warm in the winter.

I have some peppers in a sunroom. While they have no problem producing pods, all they grow are the tiny marble like winter pods rather than summer ones. (Choco scotch is especially bad in this regard. From the size of a tennis ball to the size of a skittle) Any ideas on how to keep them warm enough to grow pods effectively. Mirrors or anything. I would just use a space heater but that takes $$$.

They could need more light, now that winter is here, the day light hours are shorter. Also what are the temps and are they getting direct light o is it ambient light (I hope I spelled that right). The heater blanket is a good idea, also maybe a medium size space heater will help to

I noticed last winter that the combination of winter sunlight and coolness from the windows my plants were in was not as healthy for them as the effect of moving them away from the windows, near a heating vent, with 8-12 hours of artificial light on them. It seems that the warmer temperature combined with limited artificial light was better than cooler temperatures and limited natural light. My lesson learned - when temps get consistently low, my plants are going back on the dining room hutch, away from the windows. My 1-year-old, 8ft high x 12ft wide, low-E, Anderson window, though facing south, just is not close enough to a source of warmth for my plants' comfort. Hope you find the proper combination of light and heat for your plants.

One thing i was told by a friend is never use a mirror. Now idk if it's true or not and tbh don't see how they could really help your situation of "keeping warm". My situation was a little different tho and i was going to try and get a,little more light out of what i have. He says the light reflects to more of "point" (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for here tho). If any of you guys have used a mirror please let me know how it works out. Now for keeping warm you could use mylar safety blankets from Walmart and they will reflect heat and light.. Another idea would be an old waterbed heater. Set your pots on it and there you have it.. Warmth! I really don't see how the heat would affect your pod size tho. I could be wrong but I'd attribute it to them not getting a good spectrum of light through the glass. I'd say if your trying to get them to produce to go get an HID to boost your lumens!

Back