• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help WANTED: tomato pineapple salas recipe

Last fall someone bought a jar of tomato pineapple salsa to a party. It was awesome. I cannot find a recipe for canning anywhere! I could tell that it used vineager instead of lemon juice in it which to me was key ingredient to flavor. It also had jalapeno or other hot peppers in it. Can anyone help me?

I have made several fruit salsas for myself and family for the past few years. Pineapple is my little woman's favorite. I don't have an exact recipe, but I usually roast one whole pineapple cored and cut into about 2 inch pieces, a small onion, about 3-4 large tomatoes, 10-12 serranos, 10-12 jalapenos, and about 3 habaneros. I usually roast them on my smoker/charcoal grill until the skins start blistering and then take them out and let them cool until you can handle them. I then cut everything into a small dice removing the tomato skins and the pepper stems and some seeds. I usually leave a lot of the seeds in, because removing them takes away the placenta which reduces the heat. Then I add about 4 ounces to a cup o lime juice, salt to taste (I like about a tablespoon because I like salt and sweet) and usually I add about a palmful of chopped fresh cilantro. This is merely a guide to how I make it, as it varies every time depending on the size and heat of the peppers I am using the size of the tomatoes and onions etc. I also often substitute mangoes for the pineapple and add more habanero and less jalapeno. Try cutting the recipe down and making some of each. Play around with it such as different heat levels based on the number and variety of peppers you use until you find what works for you. Mine is fairly middle of the road. I have to make it hot enough for me but mild enough that everyone else can eat it. You'll find what works for you and have fun along the way. Oh but one thing roasting everything is key. You can simmer all you want but nothing replaces the grill or charcoal flavor. Good luck and if you try this let me know what you think.

Back