• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Super "Bowl" Throwdown

Who has the best "Super" Bowl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about hot Chex mix, but decided to go with something even more pedestrian - Velveeta cheese dip. After all, what is football without the ubiquitous cheese-product orange goo? Some home-fried tortilla chips to scoop with.

The obligatory shot:

HPIM1474.jpg

And one taken at a better angle:

HPIM1476.jpg

Ingredients:
Milk
AP Flour
Velveeta cheese product
hot breakfast sausage
Rotel with green chiles
diced jalapeno
red chile flakes
Fried tortilas

Mike's Deconstructed and Reversed Signature Taco in a bowl

IMG_9946.jpg

Brain Strain
Pepper Dog Dry Rub
Flank Steak
Ricotta Salata
Cilantro
Jalapeno
Roma Tomato
Onion
Avacado
Sea Salt
Lime
Blue Corn Tortilla
Yellow Corn Tortilla

Mix together onion, salt, lime, cilantro, Jalapeno, Roma tomato and avacado until you get the consistency you want for your guacamole. I prefer to use a stick blender because it makes it easy. Cut the tortillas into chip form and fry in 350F oil for about 30 seconds. Remove from oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Coat the steak with the pepper dry rub and cook. Saute some onions to top the dip.

Assemble as you so desire.

IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9953-1.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

Super Spicy Seafood Bowl

The Ingredients-
Shrimp, Muscles (sic...:) ), tomatoes, Cajun spice, fatalii puree, onion, garlic, chicken broth, horseradish.
3f095510.jpg

Some tomatoes, chicken broth, onion, garlic, fatalii puree and Cajun spices set to simmer.
820ae8ee.jpg

The shrimps got par-boiled in Cajun-seasoned boiling water, and then tossed with the mussels into the spicy tomato sauce. Add some fresh-baked sourdough rolls with butter, garlic and Peruvian White habanero powder to dip into the spicy tomato sauce and there ya go!
abcd1664.jpg

f33ed456.jpg

We set the bowl on the table, donned gloves and just started eating the mussels and shrimp straight out of the bowl while watching the game. No silverware for this deal!

midwestchilehead - you have to love a nice spiced up cheese dip - especially for game day. nice job.
mikeinsc - best looking tacos i've ever seen
sl - as always your food looks great

MWCH - you're right; it can't really be game-day without some Velveeta - nice entry.
Mikeinsc - Love the avocado. And nice car collection you've got there.....

SL SL SL SL SL SL - You may very well have gotten my vote with that one already. Just tell me you used more fatalii puree than is visible on that spoon, and you've nailed it!

Looks like another tough vote for me - will it be Buddy or SL who's cuisine reigns supreme?!? Or, will there be more blockbuster entries to come?

SL SL SL SL SL SL - You may very well have gotten my vote with that one already. Just tell me you used more fatalii puree than is visible on that spoon, and you've nailed it!

Ya know, geeme, I knew that was going to come up. :lol:
YES! there was definitely more than the little drops on the spoon. There was actually only about 1 1/2 cups of sauce (only used half of the can of tomatoes and a couple splashes of broth to keep the sauce from cooking down) and I used a heaping teaspoon of puree, plus the cayennes, etc in the Cajun spice.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Ain't a dish yet I wouldn't like to chow down on. That Bacon Bowl...Very Ingenious!

Pineapple bowls look scrumptious, and for a substitute for the coconut milk, Half&Half or Light Cream would probably work great.

Looking forward to more entries today~

The SuperBowl Halftime Snacktime super snack

the ingredients:
western family popcorn
butter
red pepper blend
chile de arbol's
hannah's popcorn spice mix
pepsi max

9d017528.jpg

28f397e6.jpg

the butter and spices mixed together.

2c755581.jpg

spice butter drizzled on popcorn.

928c3b58.jpg

and the finished product!!!

e8555360.jpg

me eating the finished product.
248cfc0d.jpg

wonder what the rest of the family is going to eat :lol: :lol:

Wow everything looks great.

I look over the pictures and feel out of my league here. I must have been crazy :crazy: . I really just wanted a reason to make the bacon bowl :lol:

Not a very good picture but here is how I made it.
baconbowlinoven.jpg

I wove a bunch of bacon together inside a large bowl, and then cooked it wrapped around a bowl in a 350 degree oven.

Hooooo ya, Salsa Kid! Popcorn is one of the starches I can't..... hardly..... resist. AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!! {runs from room to keep from eating the bowl....}

MidwestChileHead - you might consider editing your post to include a couple of the requirements.

Okay, THP, okay...... geesh, just trying to help out.......

I had to wimp out on this one. Threw 2 parties this weekend, no time. Could have done it today but didn't get home in time. It's ok.

Buddy gets my vote. That pineapple seafood looks awesome!!!!!!

Wanted to give the salsafamily a vote, but hit a few problems.

Salsalady...Two things.
1. Your food looked awesome, but the shrimp's eyeballs freaked me out a bit. It was staring at me, and, frankly, I think it might have winked at me as I scrolled down.

2. There appears to be a dvd case (maybe a wii game) and a sheet of paper under your TV. Tell salsakid to pick that up or he can't have dinner.

Awesome entries, all of em. The bacon bowl was the most creative thing I've seen in a while. I wish the final pic was just in a bacon bowl, not a bread bowl. Could have been a game changer. Great entry. look forward to competing against that in future throwdowns!!

Also, sausage cheese dip and steak nachos are 2 of the finest foods on earth. Would go great with some of the 7 headed dragon stuff.

Buddy gets it tho, in a landslide I predict.

FD

Salsalady...Two things.
1. Your food looked awesome, but the shrimp's eyeballs freaked me out a bit. It was staring at me, and, frankly, I think it might have winked at me as I scrolled down.
Do tell..... what ya smokin' there? :high:

Frydaddy's freaked out by a lil' ol' shrimp head? :rofl:

Ain't cha ever been to a "boil" before? You know...bite them tails, suck them heads?

:rofl:

Thanks, FD4, that made my day. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back