• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Ramen Throwdown

Who transformed instant ramen, with seasoning, into the most interesting meal?

• buddy - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29642-begin-the-ramen-throwdown/page__st__200#entry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the sauce, what I did in the TD;
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 lb thinly sliced beef (cubed if using chicken)
¼ cup chopped green onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
12 dried whole red chilies (adjust to your heat level)
¼ teaspoon orange zest (1 ½ tsp if for orange sauce)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
3 tablespoons beef broth (chicken broth if using chicken)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Heat the wok/pan between 375 & 400 add the 2 Tbs vegetable oil and start to brown the beef cooked about half way done, then add in the green onion, garlic, whole chiles, and orange zest. Cook and stir a minute or two until the garlic has turned golden and the chiles brighten, it should also be very fragrant. Add 1/2 cup sugar, the ginger, Beef broth, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and peanut oil; bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.

Dissolve 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into the water, and stir into the boiling sauce. Return to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens and is no longer cloudy from the cornstarch, about 1 minute.

For the marinade,
1 Large Egg white
2 tablespoons corn starch
3 tablespoons Mirin
3 tablespoons Soy sauce
And of course 1 Ramen seasoning packet

In a bowl, whisk together the egg white, the cornstarch, the Mirin, the soy sauce and Ramen seasoning. Add the beef/chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Drain beef/chicken and go to sauce directions.

Edited for spelling

Awesome. I've looked at all the entries a few times...and keep coming back to yours. I SWORE I would steer clear from an Asian recipe for this TD...but yours keeps drawing me in.

Gotta give my vote to ya...you earned it!

JayT - Last Active Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Just received a strange call:

"You are receiving a call from an inmate in a correctional facility."

"Yo, this is JT. I'm stuck in here doin' research. Did I miss the deadline? Oh by the way, the J now stands for Jane."

"I'm sorry JaneT, but not only did you miss the deadline, but gnarlyeggs posted a prison burrito."

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

"Hello?"

Jane? I don't recall whining at all. So take your tiara and shove it. Actually, I got called in to work last night, but no matter my photobucket was still not working anyway. I will post my pics whenever I figure something out to get them uploaded.

Jane? I don't recall whining at all. So take your tiara and shove it. Actually, I got called in to work last night, but no matter my photobucket was still not working anyway. I will post my pics whenever I figure something out to get them uploaded.

Bwahahahahahaha...

1 (800) EXC-USES

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome Back JaneT! Thought maybe you were all bent about photobucket.
Turns out, you were "entertaining" dudes probably named Bubba, Hoss and Pedro. Better luck next time!

I had to go with Megan!
Awesome girl! I could eat that whole thing with a straw... Belee-dat!

Without getting to individual critiques, everyone did awesome, and I would eat everyones dish, hands down.
I really liked the spirit of this TD, from beginning of the smack talk thru now.
Everyone, had fun, was super creative, and, well, I just plain liked it.

BTW, has anyone ever voted from 37,000 feet, going 600mph?

Scovie! All electronic devices are to be TURNED OFF during the flight! Log Off and Go order a breakfast drink!

WiFi on the plane SL!... It's called gogo tracker. $10 for 24 hrs. Thought it a good time to review the TD.

Drinks will be on the next flight, I don't want to need a wheel chair to get out to the parking lot.

Scovie, don't worry about getting to the parking lot, I'm sure Sicman's alcohol detecting radar will kick in and he'll track you down wherever you are.

$10 for wi-fi, not bad for in-flight entertainment. Shoot, you can't even rent one of those dvd players for that amount.

ill find him,he will be the one being detained by security.

still not sure bout my vote,i think its either lunchbox,musky,or gnarly.

Heaps of great entries but in the end I had to go with Sum's pork ramen tamales. What can I say, SoFlo Posse consistently brings it both food wise and pic wise. Not only that but I'm just a sucker for tamales.

Just when I thought I was bein' all 'riginal 'n all....nope! 3 differn't sushi ramen entries.

Bring on teh Cinco de Drinko. I mean Mayo. I dig on some tore tillah abuse, artisan style.

Masonry at midnight? Cement shoes?

And to think....I was sporting the sicman shirt, so I could get that vote.... hmm...
I needa Redhawk Peppers shirt I think. Lol

Thank you Scovie. The rules said most interesting and outside the box idea. So I think making a dessert is pretty far out there when dealing with ramen. IDK just IMO. Also thanks for my other two. Still haven't made up my mind except my hubby's looks and was amazing. Three different sushi techniques was a trip.

cory,lol

meg if i liked sweet stuff i would have voted for you for sure,problem is im not much on sweets

im going to get all drunk tonight and let the booze decide my vote.

Whatev Boss man. That just means I rank up there with geniuses right? Cuz B&J rock!!!!

Sic its as sweet as you make it. Just add more powder for a more spicy dessert ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back