• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Hometown Hot Dog Throwdown

Which is the best hometown hot dog?

• Deathtosnails - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5oclocksomewhere - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwd

• salsalady - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/pag

• Justaguy - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/page

• JoeyK - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/page__v

• Nick - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/page__vi

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the most difficult TD for me to choose,well,,ever!
I had it narrowed down to 4!
But I can only vote for 1!
Potawie and Midwest, Absolutely wonderful!I would order that off any menu anytime!
But I had to go with my tastebuds on this one :lol:
And the Charleston Chew Makes just makes my mouth water!
Excellent Throwdown everyone!

Kevin

Frito dog looked tastiest to me but just not very home-made. Lets just say I never expected canned chili from a Texan, and where's the beans :)
I still have to think about this one but as it stands now, the relleno dog gets my vote

Thank you Wayright! That was some very tough competition and to get just one vote is awesome and makes it worth the time. At least I didn't get skunked so go vote people. Not turning down any votes for the Charleston Chew Dog. Woohoo. :onfire:

@megamoo Yeah I usually post too many pics ha ha ha oh well . Well I avoided doing too much damage just lost some skin when it kinda fused to the metal. I was going to take a photo of my skin that came off but April wouldn't let me (I thought it would be awesome and gross).

I showed the entries to my workmates and they couldn't believe the comp even existed. Lots of oohs and aaahs at the dishes.

Frito dog looked tastiest to me but just not very home-made. Lets just say I never expected canned chili from a Texan, and where's the beans :)
I still have to think about this one but as it stands now, the relleno dog gets my vote

Chile is the state dish of Texas and contains no beans in the recipe. It was short notice for me as I just got here on Friday and came up with the idea going for a Texas tavern/stadium kind of dog. It was guuud! The Wolf Brand Chile go's back to the 40's I believe and is made in Dallas. The Frito's and Frito Cheese Sauce are made just down the road from me in Plano, TX. 99% of the time I make everything but it seemed fittin' to go cheap and cheezy for this dawg'.

Woohoo this is getting good thank you dvg, shoVel, monnezza76, and of course my wife ssdaydrm(sunshine daydream). The smokey oysters on the Boars Head beef franks is something everyone has to try at least once and the Blue Cheese and bacon, that's a Charleston Chew Dog! Lots more votes still out there to be had, so how'd you like dem oysters? This is fun. :dance:

I love the competition that comes out for the dog. Sure a porterhouse or fish based dish would get people going but EVERYONE knows how to make a dog. Lots of recipes to try.

Wolf Brand is kind of a Texas thang...we don't put home made chili on dogs, for the most part. Also, the addition of beans makes it a stew...not a chili.

His also looked tastiest to me...hence the vote. ;)

Im between the charleston chew and the chile relleno.

And the lobster roll and the philly one.

And the peach one for my buddy because I know it was good despite the blur.

And the hometown vote...

Gotta go with the chile relleno. It had it all. Fried goodness is always worth something!!!
Great job everyone. I had a great idea that I couldn't enter because of a shitty excuse that has just now been resolved.
I did get a pic of sum taking his pics, tho. I'll save that for another day.

Waywright, I'm a Gator too. Class of '01. Go Gators!
Gainesville not making good press lately bc of that dumbass.
It's a beautiful college town full of wonderful people. Damn guy givin' us a black eye.

Also, the addition of beans makes it a stew...not a chili.

The great thing about chili is that everyone makes it different and everyone debates how it should properly be made. The last time we did a beans or no beans poll here, I think beans won.
I should have known not to make a bean comment but for some reason I just had to stir the bean pot :)

I've never heard of a decent canned chili, thanks for opening my eyes to the wolf brand. I'll have to see if I can get some online

I didn't mean any disrespect towards TB, it was just for me what seperated 1st and 2nd. I actually think I'm going to try a frito dog soon, once I can make up a batch of chili

As a greedy pig I take my food judging seriously, even if I only get one vote.
First I had to eliminate the ones with seafood, because I can't eat it, makes me seriously ill. Nothing personal guys
JayT I'm only an ignorant Australian so I can't tell if its a joke but do people really marinate stuff in Dr Pepper :eek:

My pick of the best ones.

Deathtosnails I really like the look of your dog but I still remember when Chris Judd was an Eagle.. nuff said

Lunchbox I find myself hypnotised by your half eaten dog pic. It calls to me...

Justaguy has to score marks for doing something original with a hot dog. I would so go through that whole plastic bottle of garlic powder in a few weeks.

JoeyK ingredients sound tasty but the lack of photos is a bummer, hope you didn't burn too bad.

midwestchilehead my arteries hardened just looking at your rellenos dog. I'd eat that dogs brains out!

POTAWIE OMG that thing is insane! Its hard to not vote for you after all the effort you put in.... and you weren't even soberer

geeme its actually lliterally on fire. :mouthonfire: :dance: My recipe, that never got made, involved onions caramellised in habanero oil, great minds think alike.

sumofmybits Yours is the prettiest one of all. You must be so proud. Now if only there were twenty or so of them :rofl:

So hard to choose only one, when they are all so good. All much better than I could make myself.

My vote has to go to

zdeckers Columbus Ohio Demolition Dog

It looks to have the right balance of flavour n filler, textures, colours, fresh n processed, dry and grease. It looks really hot too, and the guacamole would even that a bit. Nice job.

Thanks! One more vote than I thought i would get...a successful 1st T-Down.

The great thing about chili is that everyone makes it different and everyone debates how it should properly be made. The last time we did a beans or no beans poll here, I think beans won.
I should have known not to make a bean comment but for some reason I just had to stir the bean pot :)

I've never heard of a decent canned chili, thanks for opening my eyes to the wolf brand. I'll have to see if I can get some online

I didn't mean any disrespect towards TB, it was just for me what seperated 1st and 2nd. I actually think I'm going to try a frito dog soon, once I can make up a batch of chili

LOL...well beans won in that poll because there's only one Texas, and a whole bunch of "other places". Obviously...we got it right, and you people from the "other places" don't know what's up. ;)

While you're at it...see if you can get yourself some "Ranch Style Beans". They will change your life. If you mix a can of Wolf Brand, a can of Ranch Style, an a can of rotel...dice up some onions, and serranos to toss in...you've gt a MEAN Frito Pie topping. *Beans are ok in that combination since it's not 'gunning' to be a "real chili"...and because in the kitchen...we Texans are allowed to make up the rules as we go. :P

LOL - Potawie, you kind of have to be from Texas to get it. When I was growing up we did swim team all summer long, and Frito Pies were a REQUIRED ingredient. Scores of kids in bathing suits running around between heats, parents trying to keep up with them, and everybody hungry. Frito Pies are no-fuss, no muss - keep a crock pot full of canned chili, a massive bag of shredded cheese and another of diced onion, and bags and bags of snack-sized Fritos. When all is said and done, the bags and sporks go in the trash, and all the organizers have to do is pick up the crock pot and take it home. I'd about bet every kid and teen sporting event in Texas has Frito pies, so it's kind of Texas-nation tradition that's been going on for quite a while.

And if you're looking for Ranch-Style beans, only Trappey's will do!

Absolutely no disrespect on your part. You have never been anythang but first class on your posts and threads and I appreciate your opinion. The beans no beans 'thang is a sore spot for us Texans as at first the recipe had no beans. Then again, it has Portuguese roots that have been Texified. In many ways chili, chilli, chile, is a food of the world, with beans or no beans, turkey chile, spam chile, soy chile, etc. but in Texas....its just chile...no beans. Chile beans on the side. Oh yeah...ranch style beans rock harder than chinese arithmetic. In many ways, we need a chile t-down but could be hard to rate as the final product, most would look the same no matter the ingredients. Kudo's to my smokey Canadian compadre'!

And if you're looking for Ranch-Style beans, only Trappey's will do!

Trappey's is good...but I'm talking about the REAL DEAL:

can_ranch_style_beans_conagra.JPG

Wow, I'm humbled. Those were some mean looking home-made dogs you made, and I'll bet they tasted a damn sight better than our store-bought ones.

Trappey's is good...but I'm talking about the REAL DEAL:

can_ranch_style_beans_conagra.JPG

I can't count the number of cans I've eaten of those. Sadly, I have learned to read the labels. Best tasting doesn't always translate to healthy. I'm not a kid anymore. I went to my beloved Whataburger today and turned mrs. blues on to it. She still favors In N Out but not by much. I could barely finish the Whataburger w/bacon. We agreed Whataburger fries were way better. That being said...while I love soooo many thang's Texas, I have to eat them in extreme moderation. The beef, the cheese, the deep fried, the mojofied...not so good for a 50ish man these days. Good 'thang God created salmon. I can eat that all I want!

On the fence on this one for real. A bunch of well played TD's for sure. And so many entries.

LB's, Geeme's, and P2K's lobster are my favs right now. Gonna have to reread the thread for a second time tonight... and maybe a third time tomorrow.

On the fence on this one for real. A bunch of well played TD's for sure. And so many entries.

LB's, Geeme's, and P2K's lobster are my favs right now. Gonna have to reread the thread for a second time tonight... and maybe a third time tomorrow.

Just looked again. All in vain I 'spect. Potman has it NAILED SHUT! I officially cede to our Canadian brother! Yay Potawie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back