• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Ethnic/Regional Sandwich II

VOTE!

• SumOfMyBits - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33306-begin-ethnicregional-sandwich-ii/page__

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Vote for the best ethnic/regional sandwich, or take on it, whilst remaining authentic to the region/ethnicity.

Stiff competition.

I like to be liking these - I don't see one I wouldn't eat. Not a single ingredient or flavor I don't like. Many I've tried versions of but not as good as these look. Hell of a job all. :cheers:

frydad4 - Authentic but with added twists like jalapenos (nicely caramelized) and potato sticks, and great pics.

I've had a palomilla chicken sandwich with the sour orange and onions... but my Cuban joint does the bistec sammie a different way so I don't think I've had the sour orange steak before. Flavors sounds bangin'. Nice twist.

Still looking.

Well some awesome looking food, shattered i didnt get to enter, wanted to make Cemita Poblana (Puebla-Style Sandwich), but oh well busy working all weekend. Next time.

Everything looks great, great colours going on.

saugapepper voted for himself...

really.gif

Was I not suppose too? My mistake, I apologize and won't do it in future throwdowns.
If you genuinely think yours is the best, there is no rule against voting for your own.

That said, voting for your own entry, especially early on, makes some people question whether you genuinely gave the others full consideration or not - kind of a sportsmanship thing. I personally have a "don't vote for myself" rule, but I don't apply it to anyone else - it could well be that you gave the others full consideration and just decided it was the best.

hey Boss - it looks like Geeme had a technical difficulty when voting...it's fairly obvious that she meant to vote for my entry, so could you be a dove and fix that when you get a moment?

Thanks in advance,

~me

:rofl:

saugapepper what's the history on the Portitalia Sandwich? I goggled it but this post came up.

i was actually gonna ask the same thing

ive never heard of it, nor did I see a backstory as to where it came from

I've been wondering the same - I took this as a regional specialty only. While I dressed my torta with some fancy toppings/seasons, at the end of the day it's still just a torta, a traditional Mexicali dish served on taco trucks up & down the coast (mostly down)

I've never heard of a portitalia - looks like a pulled pork sammich with tomato sauce & Italian cheese. Sounds tasty, I just don't think of it like I do Jay's cheesesteak.

If I walked into an Italian restaurant & ordered one, what would they bring me?

Not sure, it was available in the Italian eateries where I grew up. Crusty bread, you could get pork or fish (on Fridays), mozza, sauce, onions, and hot peppers (optional). Saying that, I don't think I've never seen it here in Toronto, though I almost never go to Italian restaurants. Probably regional with bad English translation for a name?

I was waiting for this information about the Portitalia as well. Never heard of it. Did some research and couldn't find anything but the post on THP. How is this a regional sandwich? Background info, please.

Thanks for explaining! Where did you grow up? Just wondering where it is regional to, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back